PDA

View Full Version : This Is London - Living

LondonNewbie
09-02-14, 04:47
Before anyone reads on: I apologise for the full-length explanations. I've got a habit of not being able to cut out any details. If it's too much for you to read, then I apologise!

As I posted in my introductory thread, I'm currently a member of the London community. I live in West London and work in West/Central London.

To share my first problem, I get extremely anxious at home about living with other people.

When I first moved away to University, I found living with other people fine for the first year. Second year, I started living with some of my course-mates. I had to put up with someone smoking weed in the house for the first 5-6 months, which wasn't very nice. When he got kicked out, there was another dispute going on between another two of the house-mates.

Both of these incidents I did my best to avoid if I could but it didn't affect my routine that much. One of the guys I lived with didn't care much for the goings on and would get me out of the room and the house more often than not which kept me going, as well as having my girlfriend round every couple of weeks who helped me massively.

Third year, I moved back home to a University nearby but decided I still wanted to live in accommodation rather than living at home. The accommodation was expensive but pretty good, en-suite rooms for everyone which allowed me to do the majority of my routine in my room. The problem I faced here is that I wanted to spend all of my time doing work (and when I wasn't doing work, I liked to relax on my own too) which my flatmates didn't agree with. So much so that they would talk about me behind my back, would chuckle to themselves about me when I entered the Kitchen to cook something and eventually that lead to me not wanting to go in there. I ended up just eating ready-made food by ordering takeaways or going to the nearest Greggs. Anything that allowed me to eat without visiting the kitchen.

It got so bad in that flat that I had to move into another flat in the building. But even though the flat I moved into was pretty much empty, I still suffered the same problem. The anxiety I got about entering the communal areas came with me and so unless my girlfriend was around to help out by cooking our food, I still would not cook anything.

So now this year I got a placement in London, working for very little income to begin with. I deal with it because the experience is what I'm here for. But I suffer at home because the anxiety I gained in my third year flat has came with me once more. I live in a house with 4 other people, 1 of whom I've not even met and I do not leave my room at all if I can avoid it. I stick to paying stupid amounts of money for ready-made, unhealthy food just so I'm not starving myself and I've put on about 2-3 stone whilst I've been doing this. I've lived in this house for 4 months and I've never cooked anything.

But it gets worse than just eating. Last year, I had an en-suite bathroom. I could shower and go to the toilet in my own time, never had to worry about bumping into other people. Now there's a short 10 second journey from my room to the bathroom upstairs in the house and I can't deal with it. Most times, I just won't go. I've tried to hold certain things in until I can reach the loo at work the next day. I'm that anxious, I'd prefer to urinate into a plastic bottle and dispose of it later than just make that 10 second journey and risk bumping into someone on the way.

I can't live like this but I feel like I can't avoid it. Moving places in London feels like such a hassle as everything goes so quickly that people want tenants within a few days of putting up a property. But how can I do that so it coincides with a month's notice period? I can't chance handing in my notice to the landlady here without having somewhere lined up, but I can't line somewhere up without being able to move in straight away.

And the other thing is with London is that it is so expensive to live alone. I can't afford it. But if I can't, I then have to live with other people. If I'm still living with other people, what's going to stop my anxiety? And even if I miraculously found somewhere to live on my own, I'm then no longer facing my issues, just running away from them and that doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

Has anyone else ever been in a situation that bad where you live that you don't want to leave your room for anything, no matter how routine the thing should be? And even if you haven't, is there anything you would recommend I do as a starter? I've never talked to a Doctor about anxiety, only depression. What tends to be standard procedure in terms of anxiety and overcoming it?

I recognise this is a lot to take in so specific advice tailored to the cause may be hard to give but I'd appreciate absolutely any advice right now.

LondonNewbie
09-02-14, 15:47
I know 'bumping' threads is bad practice on a forum, but I also know I posted this near enough 5am this morning so I don't know if it's just been missed...

venusbluejeans
09-02-14, 17:03
Hiya,

It sounds like you have been through a lot in the past but also sounds like you now want to move forward.

I suggest that you do talk to your dr about your anxiety as that can really help and he may be able to suggest something that could help you.

I think that to move forward you have to push yourself to do little things at a time... go to somewhere familiar and stay there for a bit amongst people..... it doesn't matter if you then run away from the sutuation, next time you do it you will be able to stay for a bit longer.... good Luck :)

Emmz

Ps. please feel free to bump up your posts, we have a high turnover of posts and despite the high numbers of memebers some get missed

Oosh
09-02-14, 22:02
Years back I spent two years at college. It wasn't live in. I couldn't face mixing on the breaks. So spent every break and dinnertime in my car listening to the radio. I did that for two years full time.

I went back to college years later to do another course. Did the car thing again for 3/4 of 1st year. Then noticed bad vibes towards me from some other students. "He mustn't like us etc."
It bothered me.

I decided I was going to force myself to go to the college canteen every break and dinner. I looked for students from my class and sat with them.
Said hello, acted relaxed and just listened in mostly. Read the paper, ate, cup of tea. Contributed in some small way so I could communicate to them that I'm around and I'm ok.

The more I listened the more I found I was interested in and amused by them.
By the end of year one I realised I enjoyed being around them, knowing about them, who they were, their experiences.
One in particular I actually liked a lot. Mature, nice to everyone, nice to me. That one alliance gave me valuable social proof to the others.

Other people will look at you for social proof, evidence that you are accepted, liked by someone. Without knowing you they'll sort of give you the benefit of the doubt if they see you getting on a bit with someone. "Ah, he's probably ok. I've seen him talking to blah blah".

In the break between 1st and 2nd year the only thing I worried about was NOT being put with the same group because I didnt want to have to do all of that again with strangers.

Luckily I was put with mostly same group and from day one spent every break in the canteen. I enjoyed the whole year. My confidence by the end was at an all time high because I'd observed myself accepted, liked and laughing with others on my course. I felt my insecurity disappear.
Because my insecurity had been that because I'm not mixing, I'm alone, if I'm alone I'm naturally in a position of weakness, I'm vulnerable to those who'd be crappy to someone who isolates themselves.
But now that was gone I felt me again, whole, confident, SECURE.
Those who were closing in on me because I had isolated myself backed off.
I finished that course ultra confident and secure and felt parts of myself come alive and return again.

The course ended and I returned to my life without that.
All those good feelings gradually dissolved.

I know what you feel like. I've been practically a shut in most of my life.
But you create that agony behind the closed door.
You know it's doing you know favours. Imagining what they're like and not SEEING what they're REALLY like. The fear grows. It becomes harder.

But if you can force yourself out, do the bare minimum to show a little bit of social proof, be seen, be seen to give a teeny bit of a sh!t, let people see you're ok, just for a teeny bit each day, then they'll leave you alone and you'll feel better behind your door.
And because you're seeing the REAL people and not the imagined people you'll grow more confident with them, relate to them, even LIKE them !
And ultimately you may even want to hang around them a bit because it'll reawaken the side of you that wants/needs company, friendship, alliances for social proof and safety.

Get yourself presentable, pop out to use the kitchen when it's quiet, say hi, smile, APPEAR friendly, joke that "yeh it's me the recluse haha. Sorry about that. I can get a bit reclusive. It's a bad habit of mine. I've promised I'm gonna try and not be such an antisocial hermit. Does anbody want a drink ? Listen, I know I'm a hermit but if I can help anybody in anyway, just give me a shout. I'm not that bad."

Pop out and read something on the sofa for a small spell each day and say hi to anyone who appears.
HOPEFULLY there'll be one person in particular who you can click with, even a little bit.

If you can work towards this you'll feel one million times better.

Hang in there. I know what it feels like isolating yourself.
It's a bad habit. Break it now.