PDA

View Full Version : my dr has put me on a antidepressant CITALOPRAM to

muchafraid
21-11-06, 16:56
went to see my dr to day - & he has put me on CITALOPRAM 20MG one

a day! he said they shoul not give me Side effects? wish me luck!

what are you on or have been on & did they help? how long till you feel

better?

yorkylover
21-11-06, 17:07
Im on citalopram.Some people get side affects some dont.Dont expect them to work quickly,it takes a few weeks to kick in.Mine have helped me alot.

Ellen XX

LickeyEndBlues
21-11-06, 17:54
Hi muchafraid,

I've been on them for about 6 weeks now, same dose. I take my tablet as I wake each day and have found then beneficial. They did take a few weeks to really noticably kick in for me, but I did have a couple of stressors active during that period so it may have been sooner.

Side effects.....tired in afternoons and nausea but eased now. It wasn't great but bearable.

In the past I have been on other a stuff and I feel this is best for me.

It has really helped with how I am thinking currently, I am waiting however for CBT.

Hope that is of some use

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Jenni 70
21-11-06, 18:02
Hi

I have been on Citalopram for 3 weeks now. I found that my insomnia, anxiety and panic attacks became much worse when I started on the tablets. But for the past few days the panic attacks & anxiety have become much less of a problem. The insomnia is still bad, but this should improve as the weeks go by. From reading other postings it seems that at least 5/6 weeks have got to pass before you begin to feel better.

Just be patient, you will feel better. Good luck

Jenni

Helenas2
21-11-06, 21:16
I was on Citrolopram for 3 years - recentley came off them.
I remeber it took a good month for them to start to kick in properly, once they did they really helped me over difficult times, panic and anxiety. I took 20mg before bed time - as my attacks always happened during the night. be pateint and you really will notice a difference.
Speak to your gp if you feel something is not right as they may not be the right medication for you. best of luck with it x

honeybee3939
21-11-06, 21:31
Hi,

Im on Citalopram too, like others say it can take a few weeks before you start to feel the benefit. Im glad to hear you have been to see the GP, you can start moving upwards now.

Love

Andrea
xxx

samc100
21-11-06, 22:22
Hi
I'm another Citalopram user. I did have a few side effects but they were easier to deal with than the all consuming panic. So I kept at them.

After a month there was a considerable difference and even though I get the odd panic attack now I cope with it better.

If you have any worries - it's a lovely helpful gang here to help out.

missacorah
22-11-06, 13:38
I have been taking 5mg for 2 weeks and just gone up to 10mg the past few days. I feel a bit calmer in myself but know it will be longer before i see a more noticeable difference from what others here have said.

i have had no side ettects - maybe a tiny bit tireder!

trac67
22-11-06, 15:28
Hiya,

I have been on citalopram 10mg for 9 years apart from a 6 month break and they have helped me a great deal, if you do suffer with any side effects then stick with it as they do disappear, also you may find that your anxiety will increase in the first few weeks, but that will also settle down once the citalopram kicks in fully.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Insomniac
22-11-06, 21:17
Hi much

I'm on 30mg seroxat/paroxetine. I started on 10mg and has slowly increased. It does take time for it to get into your system and working. But I did have side effects for the first few days while my brain got used to the extra help. My doc advised me that taking meds after food makes it easier on your stomach, which I have found true. I take mine in the morning after breakfast.

I do have very vivid dreams now, and I do get tired, though I have been down because of other personal stuff too which could also be making me tired, so not sure thats because of meds. But either way I would rather have strange dreams and tiredness than the panic I was suffering!

Lisa.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

samc100
24-11-06, 14:33
Ooh I have the vivid dreams too. And I am sure I am feeling so knackered cos' myh dreams are so busy!

But like you I'd rather go to bed earlier than have the panic attacks.

marie66
25-11-06, 22:12
Hi..new to this site so hello to everyone.Been on citalopram 10mg since march this year,seemed to be working ok apart from the horrendous headaches,weird dreams and itching??Doc reduced it about 2mths ago to 10mg every other day...haven't had a good nights sleep since,actually haven't slept through a whole night.So back to doc's...this time he gave me sleeping tablets,wonderful things...zonk out within about 15mins,worked brilliantly...for a while anyway,now i'm clumsy,keep bumping into things,bruised and cut all over,also started sleep walking..!For about 2weeks now i've felt numb...i don't get angry,upset..i don't feel anything.After friends have nagged me i went back to docs and now he's upped the citalopram to 20mgs and i'm still on the sleeping tablets as well.Feel really restless..so tired and a little bit paranoid...will it wear off???
Would appreciate some advice
thanx