PDA

View Full Version : Clean bill of health so why am I still here??

Dobbiedoo
09-02-14, 14:22
I really thought I was done with health anxiety and this forum after being given a clean bill of health on 2 counts but I'm still worrying.......

My health anxiety only started in November with some mid cycle bleeding and I became terrified I might have womb cancer. Around the same time I noticed I sometimes had small amounts of mucous in my poo and also became worried about colon cancer as I have a family history, despite having no other symptoms.

1. I saw a gynaecologist about the bleeding who diagnosed fibroids as the cause. They were removed by hysteroscopy at the beginning of January. This also involved having a good look at my womb with a camera and was told all was fine. The fibroids were biopsied and were benign, as expected. The bleeding has now stopped, fingers crossed.

2. I saw a gastroenterologist about the mucous. She said she was certain I didn't have bowel cancer but said she would do a colonoscopy to check for polyps, given my family history. This was done 10 days ago and was normal - no cancer, no polyps, no nothing, just a healthy colon.

Initially I was jumping for joy, relieved it was all over and I had a clean bill of health. However, then the doubts started creeping in - what if she missed something? (a note on the consent form triggered that as it mentioned "missed pathology" as well as the risk of perforation, although the dr did say "we have to say all that"). I also worried that maybe the problem was with my small intestine instead as the colonoscopy only looked at the lower part of that.

Anyway, I managed to put all the worry aside and had a really good week focussing on work, going out, planning holidays, going to exercise class etc. Then yesterday I went back to square one with the reappearance of the mucous after an absence of more than 3 weeks. Even though I knew there had been no sinister cause found for it, I couldn't help myself. Without going into detail, it's now looking highly likely that the mucous never came from my bowel in the first place and has been coming from my vagina all along. If that's the case, then there's definitely nothing to worry about. But what if I'm wrong...?!?!

God, I hate health anxiety :-(

RoseEve
09-02-14, 15:31
You are still here but you have anxiety not health problems. My daughter and myself also sometimes have mucus in our bowel movements so maybe it is from your vagina. My son doesn't get it. It's slippery slope with health anxiety if you don't get it under control it spirals out of control trust me I know.

Althea
09-02-14, 15:40
It doesn't matter if you are wrong, though--the doctor has looked at you with that possibility in mind and said it's not a problem.

Are you working on the anxiety itself, dobbie? I can't remember if you're doing CBT or not. What you want now is to increase the length of those intervals where you're focused on daily life and not anxious--the fact that you had an interval like that is a really good sign!

Idris
09-02-14, 16:21
Im in your shoes!

I had a MAJOR meltdown a year ago over the possibility that I had had a heart attack. I was given an immediate angiogram (arteries were clear) but had to wait 6 weeks for a cardiac mri to confirm that my heart was absolutely fine, and that the raised cardiac enzymes in my blood test were due to a virus that had bothered my heart briefly.

I was absolutely euphoric when I got my all clear, felt indescribable relief and appreciation for my second chance.....

And yet here I am still not satisfied. Still torturing myself over every twinge, stomach pain, palpitation.

(But have since had some genuine health issues, thyroid levels are all over the place, along with my periods, must be perimenopause, and some corking family issues)

My laboured point, is that I think it must be in our natures to be affected by anxiety. That once it has become familiar, it stays with us to greater or lesser degrees, dependant on our ability to manage it. I think the trick (which I have not yet mastered) is to accept that we have anxiety issues, but dont let them dominate our lives. Still try and enjoy life!

Dobbiedoo
09-02-14, 16:48
Weird thing is I never had health anxiety before, although I have had anxiety over other things in the past and have been on Citalapram. I guess its just in my nature. Really thought once I had the "all clear" that would be it though, especially as I did have an actual medical issue (the fibroids). I guess being in my forties has made me realise there's now a higher chance of getting something nasty - I've seen a couple of peers die of cancer recently :-(

ohwell123
09-02-14, 17:07
my ptsd is causing so many pains here and there acid reflux indigestion mainly when Im on my own I agree with the OP its hell

Dobbiedoo
14-02-14, 09:09
I really thought I was done with health anxiety and this forum after being given a clean bill of health on 2 counts but I'm still worrying.......

My health anxiety only started in November with some mid cycle bleeding and I became terrified I might have womb cancer. Around the same time I noticed I sometimes had small amounts of mucous in my poo and also became worried about colon cancer as I have a family history, despite having no other symptoms.

1. I saw a gynaecologist about the bleeding who diagnosed fibroids as the cause. They were removed by hysteroscopy at the beginning of January. This also involved having a good look at my womb with a camera and was told all was fine. The fibroids were biopsied and were benign, as expected. The bleeding has now stopped, fingers crossed.

2. I saw a gastroenterologist about the mucous. She said she was certain I didn't have bowel cancer but said she would do a colonoscopy to check for polyps, given my family history. This was done 10 days ago and was normal - no cancer, no polyps, no nothing, just a healthy colon.

Initially I was jumping for joy, relieved it was all over and I had a clean bill of health. However, then the doubts started creeping in - what if she missed something? (a note on the consent form triggered that as it mentioned "missed pathology" as well as the risk of perforation, although the dr did say "we have to say all that"). I also worried that maybe the problem was with my small intestine instead as the colonoscopy only looked at the lower part of that.

Anyway, I managed to put all the worry aside and had a really good week focussing on work, going out, planning holidays, going to exercise class etc. Then yesterday I went back to square one with the reappearance of the mucous after an absence of more than 3 weeks. Even though I knew there had been no sinister cause found for it, I couldn't help myself. Without going into detail, it's now looking highly likely that the mucous never came from my bowel in the first place and has been coming from my vagina all along. If that's the case, then there's definitely nothing to worry about. But what if I'm wrong...?!?!

God, I hate health anxiety :-(
Right, I've decided to put a stop to this here and now. I saw the gastroenterologist the other day for my follow up and she reiterated there is absolutely nothing wrong with my bowels and I have nothing to worry about. She thought my theory about the mucous coming from my vagina was very feasible (have been monitoring my poo for 14 weeks & the mucous only appears when I'm not bleeding due my period or fibroids - I bled for 7 of those 14 weeks & the mucous only appeared during the 7 weeks I wasn't bleeding so my vagina could produce mucous instead - follow?). I already knew my gynae problems were causing excess mucous. The only way I can break this cycle is to stop looking at my poo. This morning for the first time in 14 weeks I went, wiped, flushed without a backward glance which is what I always did pre-health anxiety.

Right, off out for the day with my kids and to get on with my life and sorry for the poo thread!