PDA

View Full Version : HUGE interstitial cystitis fear!! HELP please!

Leslie735
09-02-14, 14:30
I posted at the beginning of January about my interstitial cystitis fear. I was having frequent urination and the feeling of needing to go after I had just gone. It started in early December, after a few days of it, I figured it was just a UTI and went to see my GP. Negative urine dip stick test in the office, she was SURE I did not have an infection. She sent me on my way with a medication that coats my bladder so I didn't have the urge. That night I took it, felt worse, called her the next day and she prescribed a round of antibiotics (Cipro, 5 days). After a few days I started to feel better, so I thought, cool it was a UTI and I can move on from this. She did say sometimes the dip stick tests can give false negatives and when you send off the sample they can get growth but she did not send off my sample so I still don't know if it was a true infection or not. Anyways, after I finished the antibiotics I had terrible and I mean TERRIBLE anxiety over it. During the waiting to get medication I had googled my symptoms and ran across interstitial cystitis. The things I read completely terrified me, so bad so, it ruined Christmas with my family (I'm married with 2 young kids). Its all I could think about. I kept having symptoms on and off but it could've been because I was thinking about it so much and totally overtaken with worry. It was so bad my husband had to take some days off work to care for our kids because all I could manage to do was sit on the couch and looking up interstitial cystitis and read about it. I rarely ran across a positive story which just fed my anxiety. Finally, after New Years I started to get past it, I still thought about it but it wasn't apart of my every day life and was able to work and function again. I still had symptoms on and off but they were extremely mild and not everyday. By the end of January I wasn't having symptoms anymore so I chalked it up to anxiety that was causing for me. Then last week came, around Thursday I started getting worried again and I have no idea why. Came out of nowhere. I haven't had symptoms, wasn't googling, nothing just came up and ever since I've been looking up interstitial cystitis again and reading. This time I at least found some positive stories but still scares me so much. It was so bad that yesterday morning I just cried in my husbands arms telling him how I felt. He suggested I go talk to someone and get some help. I know he's right but I can't help but wonder if I really do have this condition and that is why my mind won't let it go. Last night, for the first time in weeks I had some mild symptoms which just fed my anxiety more. I slept good last night but kept having dreams that I had interstitial cystitis so I finally just got up so I'd quit dreaming about it. Please help me, why can't I let this go? Do I really have it possibly? I'm just so terrified and it's consuming my life!

RoseEve
09-02-14, 15:27
I don't know what this disease is and thankfully I'm not allowing myself to look it up. We all think I can't let this fear go because I really have it. I've thought this dozens of times. You really need to stop googling. I urinate a lot and even more so when I'm nervous. If I get really worked up I have to go immediately. It makes sense you people urinate when scared. I don't know how old you are or if you've had children but as we get older our bladders weaken and if you've had kids it makes it all the worse. Hugs:hugs:

Althea
09-02-14, 15:29
Oh, I'm sorry you're still having a bad time. What are you doing for the anxiety, Leslie? That's the culprit here, and that's what needs your attention. And can you find a way to short-circuit the Google impulse? What if you did something for your kids instead every time you felt the urge to Google?

Leslie735
09-02-14, 15:48
Right now I'm doing anything for my anxiety except dealing with it. I've always had health anxiety but it was on the back burner for quite a while, until this popped up for a few years. I use to worry about heart attack and some cancers but haven't really had a problem with that in about 3 or 4 years. Thankfully!! I really need to stay off google, but I guess I keep hoping something I'll read will tell me I don't have this condition. It's just so terrifying to me. It's not even a terminal illness, or even serious, it's just really uncomfortable and life altering. That scares me SO much!! I'm going to try and resist the urge to google, I really am. I was doing so well a couple weeks ago. Not sure why I started again. :shrug: I'm just so scared! :(

Althea
09-02-14, 16:02
That's a long time to struggle along without treating what's making you unhappy. What about looking at the online CBT courses?

And you have read stuff that tells you don't have this disease--you've read it here, because I've said it :). I can't remember what your doctors have said, but I'm betting they didn't say that you have it either. Your anxiety is more stubborn than you're giving it credit for, and it won't be fobbed off just by being told the thing you're dreading isn't happening.

Leslie735
09-02-14, 22:30
I've only gone to see my GP and she did bring it up but said I wasn't in pain she didn't think that was the cause. I did find in my readings several patients who just have the frequency and no pain so that did not help me feel better. I know I need to seek counseling, I really do. It's consuming my thoughts. :(

Fishmanpa
09-02-14, 22:33
If it weren't for this site, I wouldn't learn about such rare and improbable diseases ;) I think counseling is a wise move. Treating the real illness is prudent.

Positive thoughts

cattia
10-02-14, 06:44
Leslie, I might have replied when you posted about this before, but I went through a HUGE IC fear. It was several years ago now. I have a history of uti although I haven't had one for ages, but I also had a negative dip stick at the Dr when I was having uti symptoms, and it started me on the IC road. Remember that the people who post on forums about this are not the ones who have it under control and are out there getting on with their lives. In my case, my urine symptoms were caused completely by focusing on them. I am pretty sure you don't have IC from what you've said but I understand your fears. Feel free to PM me.

Leslie735
10-02-14, 14:24
Leslie, I might have replied when you posted about this before, but I went through a HUGE IC fear. It was several years ago now. I have a history of uti although I haven't had one for ages, but I also had a negative dip stick at the Dr when I was having uti symptoms, and it started me on the IC road. Remember that the people who post on forums about this are not the ones who have it under control and are out there getting on with their lives. In my case, my urine symptoms were caused completely by focusing on them. I am pretty sure you don't have IC from what you've said but I understand your fears. Feel free to PM me.

Thank you so much for your reassuring response! It helped me more than you know. I did PM you with a few questions. :)

Anytime I get symptoms, I immediately think it could be it and not just me being anxious. I now FEAR big time, the next time I get a UTI. I use to get them often. About 3 or more times a year when I first got married. Only a few have registered on the dip stick office test. I always took antibiotics anyways. I remember back in 2009 I had one (I didn't even know I had it, found it during a routine urine dip test at the hospital when I went in for an unrelated condition). My GP said if I had one more she was going to send me to a urologist to get checked out. She said I had a high count of white blood cells in my urine at that time. This last time I went she said my urine was perfect, and everything was fine, even though I was having UTI symptoms. I wish UTI's and all that stuff down there just didn't exist. I can think of so many other things I'd rather deal with than urinary issues. It's just so uncomfortable. :(

crystal17
10-02-14, 18:26
Hi Leslie. Sorry you're going through this, not fun :/

I really relate to your pattern of thinking, I've had similar symptoms for a few weeks now, but twice had a negative dipstick test so its really worrying. My Dr gave me antibiotics anyway while they sent off a sample and I felt better after the first day so assumed it was a UTI after all - then it came back! I also had constipation, piles and thrush so wondering if they are all linked.

Anyway I've also discovered info about interstitial cystitis and wondered if its that, I honestly dont know how we break this cycle of worrying, googling, worrying then analysing ourselves, then a bit more worrying! All I know is it sucks lol...

Leslie735
10-02-14, 21:14
Hi Leslie. Sorry you're going through this, not fun :/

I really relate to your pattern of thinking, I've had similar symptoms for a few weeks now, but twice had a negative dipstick test so its really worrying. My Dr gave me antibiotics anyway while they sent off a sample and I felt better after the first day so assumed it was a UTI after all - then it came back! I also had constipation, piles and thrush so wondering if they are all linked.

Anyway I've also discovered info about interstitial cystitis and wondered if its that, I honestly dont know how we break this cycle of worrying, googling, worrying then analysing ourselves, then a bit more worrying! All I know is it sucks lol...

I'm so sorry you are dealing with these symptoms. They are so uncomfortable. I told my husband the other day, I rather deal with so many other things than this. Did your sample come back yet?

crystal17
10-02-14, 23:15
Hi no nothing has come back yet, waiting to hear from them. That is good you've told your husband, was he understanding? It does definitely help to talk about the symptoms as with someone else we can maybe come up with a few more logical theories rather than assuming the most terrible things ;)

Yeah these symptoms are definitely uncomfortable and I wonder if worrying about them then makes us look out for them and then that makes every little thing even more noticeable...it is neverending.

Let me know how you get on and if you get any closure on all this.

Leslie735
11-02-14, 00:11
Yes, my husband is very understanding but I know, like anyone would be, he wants his wife back to normal.

Thinking about the symptoms definitely makes it worse. I try not to but it's hard at times.

Good luck with your results, report back when you get them, or PM me. :) :hugs:

Leslie735
13-02-14, 12:12
I'm bumping this up because after doing some research I realized that my problem isn't frequent urination but urgency. Most days I can go 2 + hours between bathroom visits but that doesn't mean I'm not having the urge to go. I figured that out through Dr. google. So I guess one good thing came of google for me, well I guess I won't say good but it straightened it out for me. For example, I was feeling really good all day yesterday, no urinary issues at all. I started feeling pretty positive actually. :yesyes: Then last night after dinner my husband and I took our kids over to my mother in laws house for a little bit, I had to use the restroom while we were there, I came out of the bathroom and I instantly had the slight urge to go again, it subsided after about 10-15 minutes and was able to wait about 2.5 hours before I had to go again for real. I just don't know if it's anxiety? If it was wouldn't it be there all the time, b/c honestly my anxiety is pretty much all the time. I'm worried about this disease constantly. But the symptoms come and go. Some days I feel 100% normal, some days I don't, some days I feel good half the day and the urge returns at the end of the day and vs. versa. I know I should just go see my Dr. but honestly all the tests they'd want to do scare me to no end and then of course the worry of the actual diagnosis. I read somewhere last night that overactive bladder is not even a real thing that doctors throw that on most patients because they are not informed about interstitial cystitis very much so use overactive bladder and that most patients go on to get diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. I know I need to stay away from google, but I really only googled because I wanted to get to the bottom of what I was feeling instead of just guessing, I wasn't looking for a diagnosis. Advice anyone? I'm just at such a low point, I can't get excited about hardly anything, I feel like I'm trapped, and am just so scared and worried of the future, I'm scared this is my new life and it's going to get worse and I'm going to live every day in pain and constant need to use the restroom, that disease just seems to grim. I'm almost in tears, I'm just so depressed and scared. My husband says he thinks I need antidepressants, and I agree, but I've also read medications can upset your bladder if you have it so I don't want to go on them. :weep::weep::weep:

Althea
13-02-14, 14:16
Leslie, you've been struggling with this fear for a while. I think you really need to turn your focus on treating the anxiety. Being afraid medication might affect your bladder is just another anxiety trick to keep you away from treatment--don't let it keep you stuck where you are when you need to move forward.

Leslie735
13-02-14, 14:34
Leslie, you've been struggling with this fear for a while. I think you really need to turn your focus on treating the anxiety. Being afraid medication might affect your bladder is just another anxiety trick to keep you away from treatment--don't let it keep you stuck where you are when you need to move forward.

Thank you! I know you are right, and I'm trying to get myself in that mindset that it's anxiety and I need to work on it.

allyackles
14-02-14, 21:02
Hi Leslie
I'm new here and saw your post and felt I had to reply. I actually have interstitial cystitis. I was diagnosed a few years back, so have plenty of knowledge on the subject.
Don't get me wrong at first it wasn't nice to live with but with the correct treatment it can be controlled and you can lead a normal life.

Leslie735
14-02-14, 22:13
Hi Leslie
I'm new here and saw your post and felt I had to reply. I actually have interstitial cystitis. I was diagnosed a few years back, so have plenty of knowledge on the subject.
Don't get me wrong at first it wasn't nice to live with but with the correct treatment it can be controlled and you can lead a normal life.

Thank you for your reply!! I actually private messaged you some questions if you don't mind. I'm sorry you deal with interstitial cystitis but so glad to hear that you do lead a normal life. :) Welcome to the boards!!

GlassPinata
16-02-14, 14:39
I don't know what this disease is and thankfully I'm not allowing myself to look it up. We all think I can't let this fear go because I really have it. I've thought this dozens of times. You really need to stop googling. I urinate a lot and even more so when I'm nervous. If I get really worked up I have to go immediately. It makes sense you people urinate when scared. I don't know how old you are or if you've had children but as we get older our bladders weaken and if you've had kids it makes it all the worse. Hugs:hugs:

All true. Also, if you drink caffeine, you will pee more frequently, as it's a diuretic.
Plus, I always find that anxiety/panic makes me have to pee more frequently.
When I'm having an episode of "symptom checking" in the mirror (for instance, gazing at my tongue with a flashlight for twenty minutes because I am concerned I have oral cancer), I find I will need to urinate four or five times during that twenty minutes. Of course, only a few drops come out each time, but the need is urgent. I am positive this is part of the body's response to extreme anxiety.

Leslie735
16-02-14, 23:39
All true. Also, if you drink caffeine, you will pee more frequently, as it's a diuretic.
Plus, I always find that anxiety/panic makes me have to pee more frequently.
When I'm having an episode of "symptom checking" in the mirror (for instance, gazing at my tongue with a flashlight for twenty minutes because I am concerned I have oral cancer), I find I will need to urinate four or five times during that twenty minutes. Of course, only a few drops come out each time, but the need is urgent. I am positive this is part of the body's response to extreme anxiety.

Thank you for the reassuring words. :hugs:

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:06 ----------

I'm just so discouraged and upset. Yesterday, I felt great all day, no problems really, felt normal. Same thing today until just a few minutes ago. Went to the bathroom, came out felt the urge to go again, went back in about 10 minutes later, went a little and I still have the urge. I'm so tired of it and just flat out scared! :( I've noticed lately the sensation will pass about about 30 or so minutes. Anxiety? I don't know, yes I have anxiety about this, not about anything else really. My anxiety is centered around this urination problem. Before it showed up 2 months ago I had no issues at all. I decided I'm going to call my Dr. tomorrow and get some tests done so naturally I'm nervous about that too. :(

crystal17
18-02-14, 12:02
Hey Leslie, how are you now?

PM me if you prefer. Well my urine results never came back! I guess they didnt find anything and I've been too scared to phone and ask.
The symptoms went away anyway although others have come in their place! Am really in an anxious place at the mo :(

Hope you are ok :hugs:

Leslie735
18-02-14, 13:26
crystal17 I'm glad to hear your symptoms went away, and no news, most likely, means good news! :yesyes:

I'm having symptoms off and on. They come and go through the day or day to day. I actually decided it was time I go see a doctor about it instead of keep wondering and worrying. So I made an appointment with a urogynecologist. I'll keep posted.

crystal17
18-02-14, 21:13
Good luck and well done, I know the courage that takes! Hope it goes ok, do keep us posted here.

Leslie735
18-02-14, 23:03
Good luck and well done, I know the courage that takes! Hope it goes ok, do keep us posted here.

Thank you!!!

Leslie735
20-02-14, 04:17
I'm so bummed, the past 3 days I've been feeling fantastic, no symptoms, positive thinking and just all around feeling good. Then just a few minutes ago I went to use the restroom and right after bam symptoms are back. I feel like I need to go again after just going. I just don't know, anxiety? It's SO hard to tell! I do have a Dr. appointment with a Urogynecologist next Wednesday so that's good but I was hoping I wouldn't need it because of how great I had been feeling.

GlassPinata
20-02-14, 13:21
I've been that way for as long as I can remember.
In fact, I often do go "twice".
I'll go, stand up, wait five or ten seconds to see if I need to go more, and usually I do, so I'll sit down and finish emptying my bladder. I am a healthy, 41 year old female, and I've been this way for literally as long as I can remember. I have never considered it that big a deal. If it is due to a condition, it's not a progeressive one, as it has not progressed in all these years.
I think I am just tense all the time, even my bladder muscles are tense, and I can only go pee a little bit at a time. That's what it seems like.
Also, I am a teacher, so I get infrequent restroom breaks. When I do get one, I often feel under pressure to "get it all out", since I will not have another opportunity to use the bathroom for hours, and I dislike the discomfort of having to go and not being allowed to. So, yes, I will go, stand up, go t the sink and mess around for a minute with my makeup or whatever, and then sit back down on the toilet and see if I can pee a little bit more. Usually, I can.
It sounds weird, when I actually write it down, but this has been my pattern, ever since I was a child, and if it's due to a disorder, I don't plan to treat it, as I've gotten along fine until now. I had never even considered it might be due to a disorder.

HoneyLove
20-02-14, 14:04
Leslie, I have a very similar problem, and it's just flared up again recently driving me nuts!

Years ago I had an actual UTI, and ever since then I get these flares of cystitis without any infection. In particular it's often worse just after I go, so I might wake up in the morning feeling fine and then after I go to the loo for the first time it starts up again. Very frustrating.

My theory is this, I think it's down to muscle tension. Apparently tension in your pelvic region is at it's strongest just after you go. And often I feel like all the muscles in that area are clenched tightly when I feel that way. It's only something I've noticed recently.

So working on things to reduce muscle tension may help a lot. It's worth a try anyway. Some people with IC go to physio to work on a tight pelvic floor, so you may need to do something similar.

It would be good to work out your triggers. Sitting for too long at my desk at work, in bad posture, is a big one for me. As is wearing clothes that are too tight. Certain drinks like fizzy drinks, caffinated drinks or sugary things like hot chocolate will make the problem worse too, so they're best avoided.

Leslie735
20-02-14, 15:44
Leslie, I have a very similar problem, and it's just flared up again recently driving me nuts!

Years ago I had an actual UTI, and ever since then I get these flares of cystitis without any infection. In particular it's often worse just after I go, so I might wake up in the morning feeling fine and then after I go to the loo for the first time it starts up again. Very frustrating.

My theory is this, I think it's down to muscle tension. Apparently tension in your pelvic region is at it's strongest just after you go. And often I feel like all the muscles in that area are clenched tightly when I feel that way. It's only something I've noticed recently.

So working on things to reduce muscle tension may help a lot. It's worth a try anyway. Some people with IC go to physio to work on a tight pelvic floor, so you may need to do something similar.

It would be good to work out your triggers. Sitting for too long at my desk at work, in bad posture, is a big one for me. As is wearing clothes that are too tight. Certain drinks like fizzy drinks, caffinated drinks or sugary things like hot chocolate will make the problem worse too, so they're best avoided.

Do you think the "tightness" is due to the anxiety or an actual condition? That is what I'm struggling with.

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

HoneyLove What you describe is how I feel. I go, get up, walk out of the bathroom feeling the need to go again. Sometimes I really do need to and other times I don't. I realy about "incomplete bladder emptying" last night and that is EXACTLY what I feel some days. Some days I don't have the problem at all. Do you have it everyday?

HoneyLove
20-02-14, 21:38
No I don't have it every day, but it tends to flare up and stick around for a few weeks at a time, usually when I haven't been taking care of myself properly.

I've read about incomplete bladder emptying too, but I don't think this is the answer, as far as I'm aware this kind of problem can lead to bacterial infections rather than simply irritation without infection as I suffer with.

I'm not sure what causes the tightness, my guess for myself is that it's a combination of stress, bad diet and bad posture. Then once the pelvic area has flared up it takes a little while for it to calm down again.

Do you happen to spend a lot of time sitting down every day? Or do you tend to wear tight clothes like skinny jeans or tights?

Leslie735
20-02-14, 22:51
This all started with me back in early December with what I think was a UTI. Took antibiotics, felt better but this problem has stuck around. Mind you though, that is why I started this fear and my anxiety was through the roof and has been on and off since. So I don't know if it's real or its anxiety causing it.

I sit some days because I stay home with my kids and babysitt so I tend to sit in the living room with them while they play on the floor. Other days I'm busy, like today I cleaned the house all day. I don't really wear tight clothes, I do wear skinny jeans but they are the stretchy kind and not tight at all really. They are actually too big so I wouldn't call them "skinny jeans" because of that. More straight leg I guess.

Incomplete bladder emptying has a lot of the sensations I feel. The feeling of needing to go more etc. I tried today going back to the bathroom after I had just been (about 10 minutes or so after), I did go a little more but it wasn't that much really.

HoneyLove
21-02-14, 08:25
It's possible that, like me, you've just got a bit of a sensitive bladder after the UTI.

Stress can be a big trigger for flares, so you'd do well to work on the anxiety side of things. It can't hurt, and you might find that you begin to feel a lot better.

You should also work on some of the lifestyle measures that can help here, like avoiding caffeinated drinks and things like that.

Leslie735
21-02-14, 13:16
Could a sensitive bladder last 2.5 months after though? Would the symptoms come and go? This week I went 3 full days feeling great and then yesterday I had very mild symptoms.

I know I need to work on my anxiety, I'm just not sure where to start. :shrug:

I do not drink caffeine, at all, haven't for years. I only drink water, literally and milk in my cereal if that counts. I eliminated chocolate and tomatoes and tomato products. I don't eat or drink citrus and I've been watching my labels and trying to avoid anything with citric acid.

greggs92
21-02-14, 13:19
Could a sensitive bladder last 2.5 months after though? Would the symptoms come and go? This week I went 3 full days feeling great and then yesterday I had very mild symptoms.

I do not drink caffeine, at all, haven't for years. I only drink water, literally and milk in my cereal if that counts. I eliminated chocolate and tomatoes and tomato products. I don't eat or drink citrus and I've been watching my labels and trying to avoid anything with citric acid.

From experience I would highly recommend trying Camomile tea, It worked wonders for me when i was suffering from anxiety :)

Althea
21-02-14, 14:08

Then start with the CBT4panic course that's been posted here. Don't let the "not sure where to start" be an excuse not to start at all.

Leslie735
21-02-14, 14:09
Then start with the CBT4panic course that's been posted here. Don't let the "not sure where to start" be an excuse not to start at all.

I opened it a few times but cannot figure how to get started. It always gives me these pop up videos that seem like advertisements/spam.

Althea
21-02-14, 14:28
Are you sure you're thinking of the right site, http://ct-online-info.com? You need to register to get a login, and then you can just download the ebooks, audio, or video. If you're getting popup videos, I don't think it's from the site--you just get videos if you click on the videos.

And even if there are ads, you can just click behind them. I think this is worth persevering a little for :).

HoneyLove
21-02-14, 15:14

My initial UTI was about 5/6 years ago, and my bladder has been sensitive ever since. Like I said, it's not that way all the time, it flares up now and again for a couple of weeks.

You could start by reading some of the links on the left hand side of this page, there's plenty of information on treating anxiety. You could google stress management, educate yourself on the effects of stress and learn how you can combat it.

If that CBT website isn't working for you then you can try the Mood Gym website which is a similar free online course.

You could look for CBT therapists in your area and organise sessions.

There's a great book on the topic called Flagging Stress by Dr Harry Barry, you could buy a copy and read it.

bulan
22-02-14, 08:56
So sorry about the symptoms and anxiety you're feeling, Leslie.

Just wanted to share my positive IC story... I'd had a UTI and bladder infection in the past and meds worked for me in those cases.

But one time, when the symptoms returned, I tested negative. So my doctor didn't consider it too much of a problem, and didn't pursue it further.

Since the symptoms kept bothering me, though, I finally went to a trusted friend of the family who is a medical doctor who specializes in homeopathy. He made a remedy for me, which ended up taking care of the symptoms for good. I haven't had IC since. :)

A quick note on homeopathic doctors, for anyone interested in finding one: That same homeopathic doctor who helped me also managed to cure a rare condition for my Grandma, which doctors couldn't figure out. It was on her tongue, and medical specialists were leaning towards cancer and were about to begin a steroid injection treatment. But she took the homeopathic doctor's remedy, which cleared up the problem and mystified doctors as well. Thankfully they didn't get to the point of beginning steroid treatment! Still, I wouldn't trust any old homeopath with my health (and money), so finding one by word of mouth is much better. Best to find someone with proven success stories, and a medical degree as well.

Regarding anxiety, my story is just beginning. It consumes me whenever my symptoms flare up, or just after I've had tests and am waiting to hear results. It prevents me from getting to sleep at night (like right now, actually), which is seriously counterproductive, and prevents me from enjoying the time I spend with my baby as well. I'm really tired of the paralyzing, morbid, all-consuming, obsessive nature of health anxiety, so I hope to find freedom from it as quickly as possible through counselling. So I'm in the process of finding a counsellor who's trained in CBT or some related method. I wish you all the best in your fight against H.A. as well.

Leslie735
22-02-14, 15:01
So sorry about the symptoms and anxiety you're feeling, Leslie.

Just wanted to share my positive IC story... I'd had a UTI and bladder infection in the past and meds worked for me in those cases.

But one time, when the symptoms returned, I tested negative. So my doctor didn't consider it too much of a problem, and didn't pursue it further.

Since the symptoms kept bothering me, though, I finally went to a trusted friend of the family who is a medical doctor who specializes in homeopathy. He made a remedy for me, which ended up taking care of the symptoms for good. I haven't had IC since. :)

A quick note on homeopathic doctors, for anyone interested in finding one: That same homeopathic doctor who helped me also managed to cure a rare condition for my Grandma, which doctors couldn't figure out. It was on her tongue, and medical specialists were leaning towards cancer and were about to begin a steroid injection treatment. But she took the homeopathic doctor's remedy, which cleared up the problem and mystified doctors as well. Thankfully they didn't get to the point of beginning steroid treatment! Still, I wouldn't trust any old homeopath with my health (and money), so finding one by word of mouth is much better. Best to find someone with proven success stories, and a medical degree as well.

Regarding anxiety, my story is just beginning. It consumes me whenever my symptoms flare up, or just after I've had tests and am waiting to hear results. It prevents me from getting to sleep at night (like right now, actually), which is seriously counterproductive, and prevents me from enjoying the time I spend with my baby as well. I'm really tired of the paralyzing, morbid, all-consuming, obsessive nature of health anxiety, so I hope to find freedom from it as quickly as possible through counselling. So I'm in the process of finding a counsellor who's trained in CBT or some related method. I wish you all the best in your fight against H.A. as well.

Thank you for sharing your story! I do have a quick question, were you actually diagnosed with IC?

Good luck on your journey to beat H.A. it's a difficult road but can be done! :hugs:

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

My initial UTI was about 5/6 years ago, and my bladder has been sensitive ever since. Like I said, it's not that way all the time, it flares up now and again for a couple of weeks.

You could start by reading some of the links on the left hand side of this page, there's plenty of information on treating anxiety. You could google stress management, educate yourself on the effects of stress and learn how you can combat it.

If that CBT website isn't working for you then you can try the Mood Gym website which is a similar free online course.

You could look for CBT therapists in your area and organise sessions.

There's a great book on the topic called Flagging Stress by Dr Harry Barry, you could buy a copy and read it.

Glad to hear I'm not alone, but sorry you deal with it too! :hugs:

bulan
23-02-14, 02:55
Gladly, Leslie. Doesn't it make our struggles feel a bit lighter when we find people who'll share them with us? :)

To answer your question, I actually forget how I learned I had IC. It's so long ago now, and that part of the story is fuzzy. Sorry about that!

And thanks for your well-wishes re: H.A. We're in this together, and I'm grateful for the support you and others have shared here. :flowers:

Leslie735
24-02-14, 04:01
Gladly, Leslie. Doesn't it make our struggles feel a bit lighter when we find people who'll share them with us? :)

To answer your question, I actually forget how I learned I had IC. It's so long ago now, and that part of the story is fuzzy. Sorry about that!

And thanks for your well-wishes re: H.A. We're in this together, and I'm grateful for the support you and others have shared here. :flowers:

I have an appointment with a urogynecologist on Friday, I'm really nervous about what they are going to tell me and test me for. :(

bulan
24-02-14, 05:29
I'll be thinking about you on Friday, Leslie. I have an appointment with a specialist Friday, and I too am anxious about the outcome. I'm sure I'll be back here every day needing support and empathy until tests come back clear, and I'll be here to offer you my support as well!

Leslie735
24-02-14, 21:49
What are you having tests for on Friday? I'll keep you in my prayers! Keep posted!

Leslie735
27-02-14, 14:34
My dr. appointment is tomorrow and I'm really nervous. I was feeling really confident all week because I was feeling really good lately, no days of having the "gotta go feeling" and then last night I had it as I was going to bed. I'm hoping I'm just anxious but I felt really calm and relaxed. :shrug:

Leslie735
28-02-14, 16:38
I just got back from my appointment with the urogynecologist. It went well for the most part. She did a urine sample by cath (ouch!!) and did a pelvic exam. She said everything looked great. She went over my symptoms with me and talked with me. She really doesn't think anything is wrong, she told me to go home and see how I feel over the next month. If I'm still having problems then to come back. I brought up interstitial cystitis and she shook her head and said "you do not have that." So that is reliving but there was no tests to prove it but she's the doctor! ;) I feel better but still kinda worried.

Thank you all for the kind words and advice and stories, it truly was so helpful and I'm so blessed to have found this place to vent my fears and talk to people who know how I'm feeling. :)

HoneyLove
28-02-14, 18:06
Glad to hear you had a positive experience with the doctor, she sounds great! Best thing you can do now is trust what she says, starting to work on daily stress management and relaxation may really help how you feel x

harasgenster
28-02-14, 20:15
I've heard of institial cystitis, as I was diagnosed with OAB a few years ago (complete nightmare, but it's sorting itself out). I understand the fear, I think, because when I had OAB badly (it was, fortunately, 'dry' OAB, but I was on the toilet every 15 minutes and barely slept), I genuinely started to think I would have to change my whole life. I couldn't have sex, I couldn't go anywhere without working out where the toilets were ahead of time, getting in a car or on a bus was a complete nightmare. I was in my early twenties and the doctors told me it was forever, up until the point that I chose to have surgery on my spine (which might not work anyway), and I was VERY anxious about it.

Institial cystitis is not fatal, or even harmful. It's very uncomfortable and generally lifelong (like OAB is supposed to be, but thankfully not in my case! I'm almost better!) What you're worried about, I'm guessing, is 'lifelong'. You do not have institial cystitis. If you had it, you'd really know about it. It is not a mild illness and from what I've heard it does not start mildly, either. I think you probably know, deep down, that you don't have it.

Maybe try and understand why you're so scared of it and work on that root fear?

Leslie735
02-03-14, 04:35
Yes, it was a positive experience but now I keep thinking "well she didn't run any tests so how does she REALLY know." I just wish I could relax. :wacko:

Shena33
22-01-16, 22:47
Hi

I am going through the exact same thing right now. I'm 25 and engaged to get married and this thing is ruining my life. Its all I think about. Please help!

Leslie735
23-01-16, 14:12
Hi

I am going through the exact same thing right now. I'm 25 and engaged to get married and this thing is ruining my life. Its all I think about. Please help!

I'm the one that started this thread 2 years ago. I have since moved past the fear and the symptoms also faded as well. I felt like I would have to pee right after I just went. It was mild but enough to bother me. It took me close to a year to get past it. I discovered a forum that's called TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome) if you go on there you can look up my posts that I put up. Its pretty much your anxiety and fear is keeping the symptoms going. I still get them from time to time but usually during stress but the fear behind them is fine and that makes a huge difference. Feel free to PM me.

Gozar
12-07-17, 12:53
Hi all.
Sorry to bump this thread. I'm going through this atm. I had a bad uti the day before new year 2016 and had recurrent uti after the first one went . The second time I passed blood and thought the worse as my 1 year old daughter was down stairs playing all I could think about was bit being around for her and my wife when we have only just begun our journey with her 😐. I'm going through hell atm thinking I have IC as I've done the same and googled my symptoms and came across this. Anxiety and panic attacks are more so now after reading about it and I've never really had them . I do stress and worry but nothing ever this bad. Going to see an anxiety expert today to try and calm me .. Does anyone have worse symptoms if they eat certain foods ? I'm fine with pizza which they say to stay away from with IC . But most the time I'm scared of eating certain foods just in case it makes me feel worse.

J

TattooArtist
12-07-17, 14:33
You might have IC, you might not. A good question is this... Do you have pain that interferes with your life? If you can ignore the symptoms for periods of time you probably don't have IC. Are the symptoms or urgency only around when in an anxious period (like me)?

Gozar
12-07-17, 16:05
I do not have any pain. Just a sensation like nerve twitching and a sense of wanting to go pee again. I've just come back from seeing a raki master and anxiety and it seems to feel loads better. Brain is a powerful thing and can do more harm then good if we allow it.