PDA

View Full Version : ALS alert.... Not a good day.

KLP
09-02-14, 20:59
My doctor has recommended me to a neurologist, and tonight my mind is convinced I have ALS, because my nerves are constantly trembling internally, my hands and feet muscles in the palms of my hands and the arch of my foot feel like they are about to cramp. My vision is constantly blurred/drunk. I had to go to the bathroom away from my family and cry. Foolishly looked up ALS and soon as it mentioned hands and feet, that was me in panic mode.

Serenity1990
09-02-14, 21:15
The way ALS works it would happen in one limb (or one pair of limbs occasionally) at a time. The fact that you have it in both your hands and your feet makes ALS an unlikely cause for your symptoms.

These sort of symptoms in the hands and feet together are apparently very typical of anxiety.

RoseEve
09-02-14, 21:19
I had a bad bought with ALS fears. It's a disease I wish I never knew about. ALS fears are very common amongst us with HA. I don't know how old you are but if your are under 50 the chance of ALS is almost non exsistant. I get internal vibrations in my leg feet and hands and only on the left side. Also vision is not effected by ALS. The way you describe your vision as being drunk that really sounds like anxiety. Doctors love to refer you to neurologists because a GP can't treat the symptoms you describe. When you see the neurologist they will tell you it's anxiety suggest medication to treat the anxiety. I am 100% sure you don't have ALS. Muscle weakness is the first symptom of ALS. You would be tripping and falling or unable to turn a key in a lock.

Serenity1990
09-02-14, 21:28
Ah yes, just saw the vision bit of your post.

You don't have the symptoms of ALS or any of the neuro nasties. Neurologists treat all sorts of perfectly benign, treatable and harmless conditions, but I'd put money on this being an anxiety thing.

Now chin up, watch a good film, read a good book, do whatever you like to do on a Sunday night and try and forget about it!

Andrash
09-02-14, 21:39
My doctor has recommended me to a neurologist, and tonight my mind is convinced I have ALS, because my nerves are constantly trembling internally, my hands and feet muscles in the palms of my hands and the arch of my foot feel like they are about to cramp. My vision is constantly blurred/drunk. I had to go to the bathroom away from my family and cry. Foolishly looked up ALS and soon as it mentioned hands and feet, that was me in panic mode.

1. Als is a motor neuron disease. That means no tingling, trembling, crawling etc.
2. Als doesn't affect vision.
3. Als is not about what you feel, but about what you can't do. If your arms, legs, hands and feet can carry their usual tasks-you don't have als.
4. Twitches, cramps and spasms come in the later stages of the disease. First symptom is weakness.
5. Weakness is not "my hand hurts when I open the door, weakness is " l can't open the door with my hand".
6. If you're under 45, chances to contract als are really small, about one in million.

You don't have als, so relax :)

KLP
09-02-14, 22:28
Peeps I can't thank you enough, had to pluck the courage and visit a als forum site, and get the true perspective from people that have the condition or live with someone who does. Thankfully I didn't have to add a thread as they have a useful sticker thread that is specific to those who are worried they might have it. After reading the thread my mind was put to rest. And of course you reassurance. Big hugs to you guys. I can breath steadily now and sleep well this evening. :))) xxxxxxxxx

---------- Post added at 21:28 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Oh I'm 38. Forgot to add that!!!! X