PDA

View Full Version : Wibble wobble woooo

LunaLiuna
09-02-14, 21:53
Helloooo everyone,

I'm having a little wobble. Things have been fairly up and down lately. Just as things get better they take a turn for the worst. This has happened over and over and over and over again and it's boring me a little.

For instance today I got a message from an old friend, I haven't had any friends for years so this was a BIG positive, but then I see something somewhere which is related to my real or imagined illness and it sets me off in a negative spiral again.

I have always been superstitious, so when I see something repeatedly it bothers me. I mean even crows, and the way the dog looks at me makes me feel uneasy.

I know all this stems from some beliefs I hold, and probably because I've always had a repeating number follow me around but yeah.

Has anyone else experienced this? or do you know of ways around it?

It really bothers me.

(I didn't really know where to put this thread as it falls between GAD,HA and OCD)

Thank you :blush:

KLP
09-02-14, 22:08
Evening Luna,

I'm sure your friend is merely asking after your well being. Try not to read into it. But glad you mentioned the superstition thing. I never had it before this drama started. And now on a daily basis I look for that one magpie. My husband said that I'm searching for them. And he's right. Before whilst driving I would have not have noticed a bird let alone a magpie. And now I see lots of them everyday. Landing in my garden on Thursday morning, Friday afternoon one flew in my pathway whilst walking. And today saw three single magpies... Drives me mad.
I don't know about you, but Sundays seem to be my worst day of the week.

LunaLiuna
09-02-14, 22:14
Evening Luna,

I'm sure your friend is merely asking after your well being. Try not to read into it. But glad you mentioned the superstition thing. I never had it before this drama started. And now on a daily basis I look for that one magpie. My husband said that I'm searching for them. And he's right. Before whilst driving I would have not have noticed a bird let alone a magpie. And now I see lots of them everyday. Landing in my garden on Thursday morning, Friday afternoon one flew in my pathway whilst walking. And today saw three single magpies... Drives me mad.
I don't know about you, but Sundays seem to be my worst day of the week.

Thank you KLP,

I understand, I've thought that myself.

But I just can't understand how these things keep happening, I mean surely the chances of that are incredibly small yet still they happen.

WhyWhyWhy
09-02-14, 22:37
Hello :)

I'm incredibly superstitious, I drive myself up the f**king wall. I literally take anything as a sign, seriously! My phone autocorrected a very normal word to DEATH the other day and I nearly freaked out... Like apple are sending me clues through my iPhone
I count magpies, I try not to tread on cracks in pavements, if something goes wrong I take it as a sign for things to come.

It's like in my irrational mind I think the universe is sending me signs to be warned, be on the look out for danger or impending doom.

You're certainly not on your own. I think I created my own faulty thinking though when I was a child, I'd sit in my bedroom window and tell myself unless I see 3 red cars in the next 10 mins something tragic is going to happen. If I don't get past this next level something bad will happen, and I've carried this with me though to adulthood.

I'm early 30's and last night wouldn't let myself go to sleep until I'd beat my highest dappy bird score or I'd be setting myself up for something bad happening. x

LunaLiuna
09-02-14, 22:48
Hello :)

I'm incredibly superstitious, I drive myself up the f**king wall. I literally take anything as a sign, seriously! My phone autocorrected a very normal word to DEATH the other day and I nearly freaked out... Like apple are sending me clues through my iPhone
I count magpies, I try not to tread on cracks in pavements, if something goes wrong I take it as a sign for things to come.

It's like in my irrational mind I think the universe is sending me signs to be warned, be on the look out for danger or impending doom.

You're certainly not on your own. I think I created my own faulty thinking though when I was a child, I'd sit in my bedroom window and tell myself unless I see 3 red cars in the next 10 mins something tragic is going to happen. If I don't get past this next level something bad will happen, and I've carried this with me though to adulthood.

I'm early 30's and last night wouldn't let myself go to sleep until I'd beat my highest dappy bird score or I'd be setting myself up for something bad happening. x

Hello and thank you :)

You sound like me!

I have to dodge drains, and like you when a word gets autocorrected and it says something horrible I freak out. I had one the other day where I just glanced at the TV and it was an airport program or something and a sign said terminal 4 and I got sooo scared, I also keeping seeing ambulances which shakes me a little, oh and I'm also super determined to win in things now, like I was playing a game against my brother the other day and I thought "if I don't win this I'm dead" wow writing that sounds soo funny!

Anyway I hope they calm down for you :)

WhyWhyWhy
09-02-14, 22:58
Haha it does sound funny when you write it down. I've stopped reading magazines with 'real life' stories in them because I will read anything and make a link to me! Like they've printed it to send me a sign or like I've been destined to read it to warn me.

Pretty sure if I don't play flappy bird till I best my last score I'm not gonna die but at the time I feel like because I've told myself that, I can't tempt fate by not seeing it through.

Tonight before I go to bed, I'll check my cooker is off. I haven't used it since last night but I have to check it otherwise I'll go to bed and think I'm BOUND to have flicked it on earlier without thinking and I'm just tempting fate by not checking. If it's ever gonna be on it will be the one night I don't check. I think this is ocd type anxiety. I've got a lot of faulty thinking to correct it seems :)

Hope you're ok and this passes for you or you can find a way to gain control over it :) x

LunaLiuna
09-02-14, 23:05
Yeah I had to stop reading and watching the news and other things like that, somehow though It always manages to find me in another way!

My psychiatrist calls it 'Magical thinking' but he's more focused on my HA at the moment so yeah, I get rid of one thing then another pops up!

Silly question, but have you ever found a way to control it?

WhyWhyWhy
09-02-14, 23:11
It depends. If I've got nothing to focus on other than my thoughts then I've no control over it. However if I have a distraction I tend to lose the compulsion.

I'll ALWAYS check the cooker and my hair straighteners. But the silly things like telling myself unless I chatter my teeth in a certain rhythm I'll drop dead, if I get a good enough distraction it doesn't become my dominant thought.

I know distraction is probably just putting a plaster over it rather than correcting the faulty thinking but maybe if you can distract enough it becomes second nature. Wish I had better answers :)

LunaLiuna
09-02-14, 23:16
Hmm thank you, I'm sure we'll find something to help us :)

WhyWhyWhy
09-02-14, 23:19
Do you read? I find reading helps me. I get absorbed in the words and it takes me away. I read fiction or comedy, nothing serious or intense and certainly nothing to do with anxiety or ocd or depression. It can be a breath of fresh air :)

LunaLiuna
09-02-14, 23:26
Yeah I've always loved reading, I have a couple of books I still haven't read so I guess I should start them.

Thank you for the reminder! :D

WhyWhyWhy
09-02-14, 23:27
Enjoy! Hopefully it gives you a new focus :)

MarkUk
10-02-14, 09:16
I find that when I feel better then out of the blue the anxiety comes out of nowhere rather cruel, it just deflates me because I was enjoying the good feelings. I have become very aware that any little thing sets me off into negative thinking & I can relate to much of what has been said here like walking between cracks & drains, freaking out when I see certain words or see health ad's on tv etc. I'm trying hard to use some relaxation mp3's but often am so wound up they are not that effective but I keep trying. This negative thinking is something I have carried from childhood so I guess it will take time to unlearn it & at least get some control over it.

Although I am sorry others also have to live with these feelings I am always relived that it's not just me alone with them :).

craigj1303
10-02-14, 10:50
I have had many suspicions and quirks since I was a kid. Some have faded away, some have stayed. Lets see how many I can recall:

1. Number & Letter rationalisation: I used to make up phrases and words that amounted to 15 characters and divide them in to 5 sets of 3 characters e.g. ILO VEW EST HAM UTD "I love West Ham Utd". Done this for years. don't do it anymore!

2. I used to make up imaginary financial bets with myself about the outcome of something.I would have an imaginary bank balance that went up and down. i.e. Having seen a cat run round a corner I would say "I bet you £1,000,000 that cat will still be there when I turn this corner". It made me feel safe when the cat was there when I turned that corner. Kind of a safety net, that I was in control. I would usually pick scenarios where the chances of winning my bet where really high. But if that cat wasn't there? Oh dear...something bad might happen...and I would bet on the outcome of something else very quickly where I would win to compensate for this! :D

3. When I put the kids shoes on, l would always put the left foot on first. If I didn't, something bad would happen to them and it would be all my fault. I am still tempted to do this but as part of my recent recovery mission I am now deliberately putting the right shoe on first to prove nothing happens!

4. If I didn't want something to happen, in my head I would wish it to happen. I had a belief system that told me the opposite to what I wanted to happen would result. An example, I had a dog about 8 years ago whom I loved dearly. He was getting ill over time and a little voice in my head would say "oh just die". I used to think I was evil and selfish but as I have matured I now realise I was playing a kind of double bluff game with myself.

I am sure there are others but I could be here all day! :D

LunaLiuna
10-02-14, 11:55
Morning, Thanks for the comments Mark and Craig.

It seems it's fairly common then! I can relate to what both of you say, it's so hard because it's taken over the little 'normal' life I do have.

I can especially relate to number 4 on your list Craig, I do that with everything. Literally, I could of ordered something and the delivery date says it's going to arrive today but I'll HAVE to think it won't come, so that it comes. if that makes sense :)

WhyWhyWhy
10-02-14, 12:25
I too identify with number 4. Always planning for the worst, totally convincing myself of the worst outcome. Anything above what I've negatively planned for is just a bonus.

Fishmanpa
10-02-14, 13:19
Yeah I've always loved reading, I have a couple of books I still haven't read so I guess I should start them.

Thank you for the reminder! :D

You know... Perhaps you can use your interest in books to your advantage in the social area. You posted a thread about making friends. Maybe there's a small book club in your area you could join. Many are small home groups (a dozen or less) that meet to discuss the book they've been reading. That would be less stressful and open the door to meeting those with similar interests.

Positive thoughts

LunaLiuna
10-02-14, 13:32
You know... Perhaps you can use your interest in books to your advantage in the social area. You posted a thread about making friends. Maybe there's a small book club in your area you could join. Many are small home groups (a dozen or less) that meet to discuss the book they've been reading. That would be less stressful and open the door to meeting those with similar interests.

Positive thoughts

Ooo great idea Fishmanpa, Thank you! I'll have a little look around :D