PDA

View Full Version : Was doing well and now bum on roof of mouth...

MarkJames3
10-02-14, 16:13
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience.. I have been doing better with my anxiety recently then today I just ran my tongue along the roof of my mouth and on the left side near the back of my teeth I have a really small painless lump… I have had bad sinuses for the last week or so… and I am just wondering do we have glands in the roof of our mouth?

As I wonder if it its something trying to fight off this sinus problem?

Any help or advice would be great as I don't want this to ruin my day/eveing.

LunaLiuna
10-02-14, 16:26
You have a bum on the roof of your mouth? well I would hate to know where it's waste goes! ;)

In all seriousness it's most likely a gland, there are many in the mouth including under your tongue, in your lips and in the back corners. It may even be an ulcer, or a cut as I gets cuts around there.

MarkJames3
10-02-14, 16:41
Haha, I meant bump.

It is not a cut or lesion as it is not really painful

Fishmanpa
10-02-14, 16:59
Hi Mark,

No glands located there but our mouths are get little abrasions, cuts, ulcers etc. all the time. Most we never notice and they go away but with HA, I know you tend to feel every bump or niggle to a more intense degree. I really wouldn't sweat this at all. Give it time and remember anything in the mouth takes much longer to heal due to the dark, wet environment. I had surgery over a year ago in my throat and mouth and it's still is sensitive to this day.

Positive thoughts

MarkJames3
10-02-14, 21:07
Ah well this evening has gone rapidly down hill.....

Started googling.... something which I haven't done in years. And it's lead me down a path of oral cancer. Not only did I Google but ended up at the out of hours GP, they were reluctant to see me as it wasn't an emergency, but the woman on reception could see how panicky I was and said I could see a nurse, she checked over my mouth etc and said she is not worried about anything, said I seem run down and my mouth could be reacting.

That didn't really calm me down and I have spent the whole evening alone in bed while my fiancee and son play down stairs together.

Normally sleep is my only solace from the days worries but I feel tonight is going to be a long night....

Got a docs appointment at 10.50 in the morning.... Absolutely s### scared.

Just keep trying to tell myself I am 29 never smoked and hardly drunk alcohol, so chances are minimal right?

Andrash
10-02-14, 23:01
Ah well this evening has gone rapidly down hill.....

Started googling.... something which I haven't done in years. And it's lead me down a path of oral cancer. Not only did I Google but ended up at the out of hours GP, they were reluctant to see me as it wasn't an emergency, but the woman on reception could see how panicky I was and said I could see a nurse, she checked over my mouth etc and said she is not worried about anything, said I seem run down and my mouth could be reacting.

That didn't really calm me down and I have spent the whole evening alone in bed while my fiancee and son play down stairs together.

Normally sleep is my only solace from the days worries but I feel tonight is going to be a long night....

Got a docs appointment at 10.50 in the morning.... Absolutely s### scared.

Just keep trying to tell myself I am 29 never smoked and hardly drunk alcohol, so chances are minimal right?

Your nurse is right-when you're run-down and under stress, mouth sores, lumps and bumps commonly occur.

I discovered a lump in my mouth some three months ago, freaked out about it and was convinced it was cancerous. The "lump" turned out to be a normal part of the jaw :)

I'm sure your GP and possibly dentist will examine you and give you the all-clear in no time!

MarkJames3
11-02-14, 11:22
Ok a quick update for anyone who cares! haha

So just got back from the doc, I was worried at first as she was just a locus doctor whom for some reason I thought would be inferior to usual docs… don't ask me why. Anyway straight from the off she could see how I was and really reassured me, she checked over my mouth and said she had no concerns at all… she said the lump could be an ulcer.. i questioned that i thought ulcers were sores and hurt, she explained thats no the case.

She has put my mind at ease somewhat… In my panic last night I also booked a dentist appt for later today… I do feel better than I did with two people already reassuring me, I just want to go to the dentist as a final check.

I will let you know how I get on later…...

Fishmanpa
11-02-14, 12:39
she said the lump could be an ulcer.. i questioned that i thought ulcers were sores and hurt, she explained thats no the case.I do feel better than I did with two people already reassuring me, I just want to go to the dentist as a final check.

...our mouths get little abrasions, cuts, ulcers etc. all the time. Most we never notice and they go away but with HA, I know you tend to feel every bump or niggle to a more intense degree. I really wouldn't sweat this at all. Give it time

Just sayin' ;) Glad you're feeling better...

Positive thoughts

MarkJames3
11-02-14, 17:55
So a little Dentist update….

Dentist had a feel around, said it could be a number of things… could be to do with my cold/sinuses etc. She said give it a couple of weeks and see if it settles down, then all she can do is refer me..

I asked the dreaded question "Do you think it could be Cancer" she almost laughed and said no not at all…. She then went on to say it could be to do with a salivary gland thats a bit inflamed as well.

She didn't seem particularly worried and I asked again if she was sure it wasn't cancer and she tried to reassure me.

Her last words to me were go home, get some rest and get over your cold etc

You would think that would settle my mind right? No not really…. I am now worried that it won't go in the next couple of weeks and I will have to get referred etc These next couple of weeks feel like they are going to be a long one.

Also for some reason because she mentioned "Salivary Gland" my mind has now jumped to think what if its cancer of the Salivary Gland etc..

I just don't know what to do? I just want to have a normal life…. most people wouldn't have even noticed this lump!

Do you think its good that the dentist seemed so sure it wasn't cancer?

Fishmanpa
11-02-14, 17:59
Mark.... she laughed at the question.....

Positive thoughts

Andrash
11-02-14, 18:02
So a little Dentist update….

Dentist had a feel around, said it could be a number of things… could be to do with my cold/sinuses etc. She said give it a couple of weeks and see if it settles down, then all she can do is refer me..

I asked the dreaded question "Do you think it could be Cancer" she almost laughed and said no not at all…. She then went on to say it could be to do with a salivary gland thats a bit inflamed as well.

She didn't seem particularly worried and I asked again if she was sure it wasn't cancer and she tried to reassure me.

Her last words to me were go home, get some rest and get over your cold etc

You would think that would settle my mind right? No not really…. I am now worried that it won't go in the next couple of weeks and I will have to get referred etc These next couple of weeks feel like they are going to be a long one.

Also for some reason because she mentioned "Salivary Gland" my mind has now jumped to think what if its cancer of the Salivary Gland etc..

I just don't know what to do? I just want to have a normal life…. most people wouldn't have even noticed this lump!

Do you think its good that the dentist seemed so sure it wasn't cancer?

Mark, salivary gland cancer is one of the rarest forms of cancer-it affect one in three million individuals or something like that. You have bigger chance to die in an avalanche than to develop it. :)

Dentists are trained to spot oral cavity cancers-she laughed at the suggestion, therefore it's not cancer. Die Ende, as they say in Germany :)

MarkJames3
11-02-14, 18:04
haha… she didn't exactly laugh in my afce but at the same time, it seemed the thought didn't enter her mind….

How can I tell myself to just calm down and get over these next few weeks? Feel like its a ticking time bomb.

Thanks fishmanpa, I really appreciate you replying by the way… I am just hoping if I write down whats happened and how I am feeling… i can then get it out of my head and also look back on what I have written.

Andrash
11-02-14, 18:10
How can I tell myself to just calm down and get over these next few weeks? Feel like its a ticking time bomb.

Think of it as of a challenge, as of a competition with anxiety. Your goal-to put the lump out of your mind. Every time it enters your thoughts, you say (silently) "Be gone Lump! " and think about something else.

Do not think I am joking-I am deadly serious :)