PDA

View Full Version : anyone got any alternative ways of managing ?

shadowstriker
11-02-14, 02:46
hi guys need some help been on most of the anti depressants there is + ect ... just got to the stage now where i don't want any meds just looking for advice on how i can help my self with out all these chemical crap. :madness:

Emphyrio
18-02-14, 14:54
Have you thought about reading the book by Peter Breggin with the title 'Your drug may be your problem?' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Drug-May-Problem-Psychiatric/dp/0738210986

Basically, he states the dangers of psychiatric drugs and how for some people they may actually lead to a worsening of their illness. He also talks about how to safely withdraw from them - which, is very, very slowly!

shadowstriker
26-04-14, 00:43
thanks i have heard about the book might have a look at it .

pulisa
17-06-14, 21:34
My daughter has been on every type of anti depressant since the age of 10 and currently is struggling to withdraw from the infamous venlafaxine. Her psychiatrist promised to "make her happy" and increased the dose to 225mg which was a dreadful move and only served to heighten her agitation and OCD symptoms.

Her psychiatric appointments consist of box ticking and facile questioning. Quite frankly the service is a joke....only it's not and no one is laughing. It's appalling and lets her down tremendously.

I think this drug should be treated with caution as should all anti depressant medication. I would love to see a way forward for my daughter without meds but realistically it would be good if future drugs had less of these ghastly side effects and better targeting to treat anxiety/depression effectively. At the moment it's very much down to pot luck.

Gemical
20-06-14, 09:06
Hey Shadowstriker,

I am currently taking Venlafaxine but I am always open minded about looking into more natural ways of addressing depression/anxiety as I know that medication alone is sometimes not enough or in some cases does anything at all. The jury is still out as to whether the Venalafaxine will help me - I am only just coming into week 5 of 225mg....in the mean time, when I have felt able reading these three books has helped me understand how the mind works a little more and as I learnt whilst watching Ninga with my son (lego ninja animation) the best way to conquer your enemy is to make it your friend, get to know it.

So here are the books I recommend....'Sane new world' by Ruby Wax. As you might know she herself has struggled with depression since childhood. A few years ago she went to Oxford to study cognitive function etc....in her book she dispells the myth that mindfulness is about sitting in a lotus position and inviting innner peace....it is simply learning to be with where we are at right in this moment. She breaks down scientifically (but using very no nonesense language) how the brain works, why we feel anxious, depression etc and then gives us some useful suggestions to start to untangle all the rubbish in our heads - or just let it be there without getting caught up in it.

The second is 'The happiness trap' by Russ Harris. He explains how our brains have evolved to be wired to focus on the negative and then he offers some info on how to set ourselves free from this trap. Again there are some useful exercises in here.

The third is 'How to be sick' by Toni Bernhard. It is written for pepole who suffer menatlly as a result of physical illness but I think it's content would offer anyone who suffers some really brilliant words of wisdom. I have found this one in particular to be a very comforting read.

Like I say - I don't want to sound like a hypocrite. I am far off being free of relying on medication but I do think there are some other useful tools we can arm ourselves with in the face of depression and all it brings. Like you I have tried many antidepressants and so far none of them have helped or made things worse. I really hope the Venlafaxine does help me because I really need it but I'm not putting all my chickens in one basket either.

Good luck with your recovery.....let me know how you are getting on if you ever fancy it.

Best wishes, Gem x

---------- Post added at 09:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

Sorry, I meant to say Ningago x