PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound right, for those who have recovered?

kab92
11-02-14, 03:52
Hey all,

Somewhat new user here, but I've been reading/following the forum a lot for the last three months or so, while I've been battling some moderate GAD.

Just some background on where I am now. I am on 30mg Citalopram (been on it for about a month, was on 20mg for a month before that). I have been seeing a counselor every other week, and have done some work using various self-help and CBT modules on my own. I also started practicing mindfulness meditation about 5 weeks ago.

So far it's been a little bit of a rocky road, but I've definitely noticed improvement. The mindfulness has helped a lot in calming my thoughts down. A theme I've come across over and over again, both in meditation and on this site, is the idea of accepting thoughts non-judgmentally, and recognizing that they are just thoughts, not facts.

Since working on this, I have noticed that my worrying has gone way down. I no longer tend to let anxious thoughts spiral out of control, and I am often able to "catch them" earlier and earlier. Moreover, some of the thoughts have lost a lot of their bite. If I think something like "am I feeling anxious right now?" or "has some part of me changed since the anxiety?" the thoughts usually don't scare me as much. The physical symptoms have subsided, and I can usually just take a deep breathe and say "okay, let's get back to what I was doing over here," and let the thought drift out of my mind as I refocus my attention.

However, one thing I have noticed is that the frequency of the thoughts hasn't seemed to decrease. Throughout the day my mind will constantly jump back to the same thoughts, almost checking in on the anxiety, but there won't be much there. I wanted to see if this was a normal part of the recovery process for most people who have tried this method? I know I have to be patient, and perhaps even by posting this I am giving too much power/credit to the anxious thoughts, but I wanted to be sure what I am doing sounds like true acceptance of the thoughts, or if I should be doing something more/taking it a step further to begin reducing the frequency of the thoughts. Will this start to dissipate on its own?

Cheers,
-kb

diane07
11-02-14, 07:13
I suppose everyone is different and recovery for some may be shorter or longer.

When anxiety has been a major part of us for so long its not easy to just stop thinking about it, for me, the thoughts dwindled over time, when i no longer feared the thoughts and symptoms of anxiety then they were no longer important to me.

I think on the road to recovery we get scared of being too hopeful that we are actually going to get there, i used to invite my anxious thoughts in on my road to recovery just to see how i dealt with it.

It sounds like you are doing fab and dealing with it the right way, it took a long time for anxiety to creep into our lives and equally it can take a fair amount of time to kick its butt back out.

Well done you. :)

Sunflower2
11-02-14, 07:54
I am similar in the way that I'm recovering from GAD. I've used the same techniques as you and notice a definite improvement in my reaction to the actions thoughts, and they feel less scary when they do come. One thing I've noticed though is that if I'm not thinking about them when I previously had been anxious, I think, oh why am I not worried any more and it's trying to creep into my head that way, so silly! So my mind tries to worry about NOT worrying about them. Shut up mind!!