PDA

View Full Version : Chest infection...bad night last night..very worried...please help

GirlAfraid23
12-02-14, 09:03
So I have a chest infection and have antibiotics (amoxillian) to take 3 times a day.
Last night was particularly bad...I woke up 3 times during the night and each time I was wheezing quite loudly (loudly enough to wake me up)...then there was lots of phlegm being coughed up...but what's worrying is I had a sharp pain in my ribcage/chest (near the bottom) as I breathed in deeply. It as only relieved by coughing up more phlegm. Each time I laid back down I had the pain again and more coughing...so obviously very little sleep.

I've had chest infections before but never had pain when I breathe in...should I be concerned? Or go to a&e?

Andrash
12-02-14, 09:31
So I have a chest infection and have antibiotics (amoxillian) to take 3 times a day.
Last night was particularly bad...I woke up 3 times during the night and each time I was wheezing quite loudly (loudly enough to wake me up)...then there was lots of phlegm being coughed up...but what's worrying is I had a sharp pain in my ribcage/chest (near the bottom) as I breathed in deeply. It as only relieved by coughing up more phlegm. Each time I laid back down I had the pain again and more coughing...so obviously very little sleep.

I've had chest infections before but never had pain when I breathe in...should I be concerned? Or go to a&e?

You have bronchitis. Your ribcage is irritated by constant coughing-hence the pain. The phlegm causes the wheezing sounds.

You're on antibiotics, they'll clear the infection and you'll be fine. Bear in mind that after chest infection coughing can last for weeks-don't let that scare you :)

GirlAfraid23
12-02-14, 09:47
Thanks, although I'm not sure it's pain from coughing...that's why I was worried.

How many times a day can I do a steam inhalation?

roxy90
12-02-14, 10:06
I have suffered awful chest infections in the past. Terrible cough, rattling, wheezing, zero sleep, breathing problems and terrible chest pain

Everytime i have had a chest infection I've had very very very bad pain when I breathed in. I assumed this was the norm. If you're on antibiotics then you will be fine.

hanshan
12-02-14, 10:14
The quantity of phlegm indicates a bacterial infection (probably bronchitis).

Waking three times in the night is not too bad. Do you have a thermometer? If you wake much more frequently with a fever, it may be more serious, and you should go to a hospital.

I've had some horrible nights with both influenza and bronchitis, and always survived.

GirlAfraid23
12-02-14, 11:55
The quantity of phlegm indicates a bacterial infection (probably bronchitis).

Waking three times in the night is not too bad. Do you have a thermometer? If you wake much more frequently with a fever, it may be more serious, and you should go to a hospital.

I've had some horrible nights with both influenza and bronchitis, and always survived.

I'm not waking up with a fever, I'm waking up because of the wheezing and coughing. I've had much worse feverish nights when I've had the flu.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 ----------

Does anybody know how many times a day I can do steam inhalation?

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

Anybody?

Fishmanpa
12-02-14, 12:55
I'm not waking up with a fever, I'm waking up because of the wheezing and coughing. I've had much worse feverish nights when I've had the flu.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 ----------

Does anybody know how many times a day I can do steam inhalation?

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

Anybody?

Pick up the phone and call the doctor's office :) Hope you feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

GirlAfraid23
12-02-14, 21:15
Thanks guys, I'm hoping tonight isn't as bad!

Annie0904
12-02-14, 21:34
I would use the steam inhalation a couple of times a day. Maybe morning and night. It can't do you any harm.

mummyanxious
13-02-14, 07:05
I had pleurisy and had sharp pains in my chest. How long have you been on the antibiotics?
You can steam as often as you like, no harm there and warm baths too.
I would probably go back to the dr if you don't feel you're getting better and you've been on the antibiotics a couple of days. We've got the weekend coming up so perhaps try to get in tonight just for your own peace of mind.

GirlAfraid23
13-02-14, 08:46
I had pleurisy and had sharp pains in my chest. How long have you been on the antibiotics?
You can steam as often as you like, no harm there and warm baths too.
I would probably go back to the dr if you don't feel you're getting better and you've been on the antibiotics a couple of days. We've got the weekend coming up so perhaps try to get in tonight just for your own peace of mind.

I've been on antibiotics since Tuesday so this is the 3rd day. Had my first one of the day just now. I have another 4 lots of 3 to go.
Do you think I should go to the doctor's today? I'm still coughing and off work again...didn't wake up in the night this time but I did wake up early and had uncontrollable coughing for an hour with wheezing which has left me feeling very drained and with a headache, lots of phlegm coming up and some pain.
When I take a deep breath in I get pains but I don't know if it's pleurisy or not. How will I know?

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

I would use the steam inhalation a couple of times a day. Maybe morning and night. It can't do you any harm.

Thanks, I did it twice yesterday and will probably do same again today.

Andrash
13-02-14, 09:16
I've been on antibiotics since Tuesday so this is the 3rd day. Had my first one of the day just now. I have another 4 lots of 3 to go.
Do you think I should go to the doctor's today? I'm still coughing and off work again...didn't wake up in the night this time but I did wake up early and had uncontrollable coughing for an hour with wheezing which has left me feeling very drained and with a headache, lots of phlegm coming up and some pain.
When I take a deep breath in I get pains but I don't know if it's pleurisy or not. How will I know?

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

Thanks, I did it twice yesterday and will probably do same again today.

Well, you haven't even taken half of antibiotics. You need to take 'em all :) You shouldn't go to the doctor-if you drink all the antibiotics and 2-3 days after you finished them there's still a problem, then go.

GirlAfraid23
13-02-14, 09:25
Well, you haven't even taken half of antibiotics. You need to take 'em all :) You shouldn't go to the doctor-if you drink all the antibiotics and 2-3 days after you finished them there's still a problem, then go.

I suppose you are right. Although the other poster mummyanxious said I should go back if it hasn't cleared up after a few days on the antibiotics. I'm not sure how long they are supposed to take to work...

Andrash
13-02-14, 09:45
I suppose you are right. Although the other poster mummyanxious said I should go back if it hasn't cleared up after a few days on the antibiotics. I'm not sure how long they are supposed to take to work...

It depends on the bacteria involved-some take longer time to subside than others. But I still think you need to finish the whole treatment before going to check-up, not after half-way house :)

And, you can always phone the doc too and ask him about both your progress and inhalation. It's also possible-but still, I know from my own experience that chest infections, albeit completely harmless, can take long to clear out. For example, I had bronchitis right after the NY, the pain and fever reduced after a week but it took me until February to completely stop coughing :)

GirlAfraid23
13-02-14, 10:52
It depends on the bacteria involved-some take longer time to subside than others. But I still think you need to finish the whole treatment before going to check-up, not after half-way house :)

And, you can always phone the doc too and ask him about both your progress and inhalation. It's also possible-but still, I know from my own experience that chest infections, albeit completely harmless, can take long to clear out. For example, I had bronchitis right after the NY, the pain and fever reduced after a week but it took me until February to completely stop coughing :)

When I take a deep breath in, I get a tickley kind of sensation which makes me cough, this is every time.
I guess I could call the doctor and ask if I should be feeling this way after two lots of antibiotics or perhaps leave till tomorrow when I'm on day 3?

I also feel quite bad having all this time off work (since Tuesday) and I'm on half term next week (I work in a school). I know I can't help it but I'm worried it looks bad on me.
I hope my cough doesn't take that long to clear :(

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

Taking a deep breath is becoming a real issue :( I keep wanting to cry. My head really hurts for the pressure of coughing.

nomorepanic
13-02-14, 11:07
My chest infection that I had a few weeks ago did not clear until about 3 days after I FINISHED the antibiotics.

These things take time to clear.

GirlAfraid23
13-02-14, 11:33
My chest infection that I had a few weeks ago did not clear until about 3 days after I FINISHED the antibiotics.

Thank you :) that sets my mind at rest. There are always so many conflicting stories online etc. it's hard to distinguish whats real advice and what isn't.

mummyanxious
13-02-14, 12:05
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. What I meant was they take about three days to kick in properly so after the third day you should start noticing some improvement. But if you're no better drawing to the end if tomorrow then is perhaps just give then a call to save you being worried about it over the weekend. They always say go back if needs be. You might need a different type or they may be able to officer some advice.
It was sharp knife like pains with pleurisy. Excruciating on breathing in. And it was just at the bottom of my ribs.

Fishmanpa
13-02-14, 12:11

Depending on the severity of the infection it may take longer than a few days for the antibiotics to really start working and once they do, it may take the entire bottle to knock it out. Sometimes like Nic is saying, you don't start seeing the results until after you're done. They continue to work in your system several days AFTER you finish.

Rest, drink plenty of fluids, do your steam inhalation, take your meds and feel better soon :) If by the end of the meds you don't see any improvement at all, then a call is warranted.

Positive thoughts

GirlAfraid23
13-02-14, 12:18
Thanks guys. Do you think it's bad I'm off again? And have been since Tuesday?

Fishmanpa
13-02-14, 12:20
Thanks guys. Do you think it's bad I'm off again? And have been since Tuesday?

Are you saying you just started the meds on Tuesday?

Positive thoughts

GirlAfraid23
13-02-14, 12:27
Are you saying you just started the meds on Tuesday?

Positive thoughts

Started meds Tuesday...been off since Tuesday.

Fishmanpa
13-02-14, 12:38
Started meds Tuesday...been off since Tuesday.

???? Sorry, that's confusing. Did you take them for a week and now you're done or just a day? You posted this on the 12th and it appeared you had just started taking the meds.... can you clarify what's going on?

Ahhh.... been off work since Tuesday? My goodness.... you just started a day ago! Give it time.

Positive thoughts

Annie0904
13-02-14, 12:43
If you are still ill and on antibiotics then no it is not bad that you are still off work. Your symptoms are typical of a bad chest infection and nothing to worry about, just keep taking the antibiotics and drink plenty of fluids. paracetamol may help too. Try to sleep propped up with pillows as you will be worse if you lay flat.

GirlAfraid23
13-02-14, 12:57
???? Sorry, that's confusing. Did you take them for a week and now you're done or just a day? You posted this on the 12th and it appeared you had just started taking the meds.... can you clarify what's going on?

Ahhh.... been off work since Tuesday? My goodness.... you just started a day ago! Give it time.

Positive thoughts

I went to the doctor on 11th which was Tuesday...that's when he gave me antibiotics. I've been off work since then too.

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

If you are still ill and on antibiotics then no it is not bad that you are still off work. Your symptoms are typical of a bad chest infection and nothing to worry about, just keep taking the antibiotics and drink plenty of fluids. paracetamol may help too. Try to sleep propped up with pillows as you will be worse if you lay flat.

Thanks Annie, good advice. It's just painful for my chest to keep coughing.

bernie1977
13-02-14, 13:28
Ive suffered a lot with chest infections after having necrotizing Pnuemonia and a lung abcess. Stick with the antibiotics, sometimes it can take more than one course. For the cough and pain in the chest ibuprofen is good as its a pain killer and also an anti inflammortary.

You need rest, good food and plenty of fluids. I hope you feel better soon xx

GirlAfraid23
13-02-14, 18:50
Still coughing loads and horrible feeling when I breathe in :( I was hoping I could go to work tomorrow!

Andrash
13-02-14, 18:54
Still coughing loads and horrible feeling when I breathe in :( I was hoping I could go to work tomorrow!

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/chronic_obstructive_pulmonary_disease_copd/hic_pursed_lip_breathing.aspx

Try this technique, it really helps with breathing :)

hanshan
14-02-14, 09:37
If you have a lung infection like bronchitis, and you started antibiotic treatment three days ago, then it may be up to a week and a half more before the infection fully clears.

Even then, you may get residual coughing for some weeks because the lining of the trachea and bronchi has become irritated. This can be distressing, but not dangerous.

Hopefully it will all go soon, and, if so, all will be well.

If it lasts longer, don't be afraid to take any sick leave due to you. If you are worried, make sure you always visit your doctor to get things documented. No court, tribunal, or whatever will ever try to refute that evidence.

roxy90
14-02-14, 10:20
Chest infections are a pain in the are. The cough can linger on for weeks and weeks so please don't worry about coughing. Its normal to have disrupted sleep throughout a chest infection, have you tried propping up a pillow? I had to use a big chunky V pillow to get any sleep at all.

If its a viral infection then antibiotics won't work at all, you've just got to let it run its annoying course. But everything you say is a normal chest infection, in which you will be absolutely fine :-)

TheGoldenTomato
14-02-14, 15:27
Oh my goodness, you're in my situation entirely. I got prescribed antibiotics (amoxicillin) for a chest infection on the 10th and now it's the 14th and my cough is still freakin' horrible. Is this normal? So scared. Had the cough overall for a week now and I get spooked out by stories of pneumonia etc. No fever here and not MUCH pain... Just so weak and tired and annoyed! :weep:

Andrash
14-02-14, 18:58
Oh my goodness, you're in my situation entirely. I got prescribed antibiotics (amoxicillin) for a chest infection on the 10th and now it's the 14th and my cough is still freakin' horrible. Is this normal? So scared. Had the cough overall for a week now and I get spooked out by stories of pneumonia etc. No fever here and not MUCH pain... Just so weak and tired and annoyed! :weep:

Completely.

And don't get spooked by pneumonia, I had pneumonia and nothing serious happened to me :)