PDA

View Full Version : seeing the doctor today. at my lowest point.

hangingbasket
12-02-14, 09:18
So my doctor has been telling me that my rib pain is muscular but eventually sent me for bloods and a chest xray.
I phoned for my blood results yesterday and they told me my calcium levels are slightly high and I need to see the doctor. She said it wasn't urgent and they would have phoned me if it was.
She also said my xray showed no changes from 2009.
This worried me. My xray results shouldn't be back until next week. Why are they early? Has the doctor rushed them because of something serious? Also she didn't say it was clear, or fine. She just said no changes from 2009. I don't even remember having a chest xray in 2009.
Stupidly I've googled, I knew what would show up before I even typed it in because my mum had high calcium while she was dying of breast cancer in October.
I can not see rationally. This isn't just anxiety. I'm so terrified. I phoned for an emergency appointment with my doctor this morning because I can't wait. I'm seeing her at 10. The receptionist said it wasn't urgent, was only slightly raised and not to panic. But I am panicking.
I'm sure that in an hour, I'll leave the doctors with a referral for tests for cancer.
I can't function today.

Andrash
12-02-14, 09:32
And I'm sure that in an hour you'll leave the doctors with all clear x-ray and perfectly harmless explanation for raised calcium levels.

Wanna bet? :)

jillyb
12-02-14, 09:35
I'm sure they wouldn't have said it wasn't urgent if it was. It's 9.30 now so not long to wait. I know I'm a fine one to talk but just try some deep breathing and positive thinking. I look forward to seeing your post later that you are fine! Good luck xxx

greggs92
12-02-14, 09:41
Slow rhythmic breathing is the best, breathe in for 3 seconds and then exhale for 4 seconds, if you do this in rhythm, you will notice a big difference with practice. Good Luck, I'm sure your results will be good :)

hanshan
12-02-14, 09:49
Every blood test I've ever had, maybe ten or twenty per cent of the readings have been slightly high or slightly low.

nomorepanic
12-02-14, 09:54
You don't have cancer and I will bet on that as well !

hangingbasket
12-02-14, 10:43
Well the first question she asked me was am I taking any vitamin supplements. I then had to admit that I took two extra before the test because I was scared of being anaemic. She said that was a stupid thing to do and given that I'm only 29, external sources are the most likely cause of high calcium and she wants the test repeated in 3 weeks.... without vitamin supplements!!
My xray was clear and all other bloods fine.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Thanks guys for all the support. She also suggested upping my dose of citalopram to 40mg and getting some bereavement counseling as its only been 4 months since I lost my mum to cancer.

KLP
12-02-14, 10:44
Interesting. Thought the body just excreted what it does not need. Food for thought when taking supplements. As Sheldon says in big band theory -'expensive urine'!

Andrash
12-02-14, 10:45
Why didn't you accept the bet? :)

Sorry to hear about your mum!

Fishmanpa
12-02-14, 12:52
Well the first question she asked me was am I taking any vitamin supplements. I then had to admit that I took two extra before the test because I was scared of being anaemic. She said that was a stupid thing to do and given that I'm only 29, external sources are the most likely cause of high calcium and she wants the test repeated in 3 weeks.... without vitamin supplements!!
My xray was clear and all other bloods fine.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Thanks guys for all the support. She also suggested upping my dose of citalopram to 40mg and getting some bereavement counseling as its only been 4 months since I lost my mum to cancer.

Sounds like you have a good doctor who just gave you great advice.

Positive thoughts

Tanner40
12-02-14, 13:10
Hanging Basket, you have to learn to accept the anxiety and to trust your physician. The physician sounds as if they gave you some very good advice. Bereavement counseling sounds as if it would be a great idea. Losing a parent is a tough thing to go through. Your Mum had breast cancer and did not have a choice in the matter.
You have anxiety and you have a choice. You can take control of your life and stop catastrophizing symptoms and situations that are going on in your life.
When we question everything, our brains can come up with some crazy things to imagine. Your doctor's office said that it was not urgent yet you turned it into an emergent need.

What are you doing to help your anxiety? What tools are in your tool chest?

hangingbasket
12-02-14, 13:54
Thank you everyone. Tanner, I'm trying, I really am. I've done CBT both online and in a group session. I use the thinking techniques and realise that I'm catatrophising and I realise that my way of thinking is very black and white. Its all or nothing for me and I do write down other possible outcomes when I am being irrational.
I'm also practicing progressive muscle relaxation and I do feel a slight improvement in my rib pain.
I have faced my fears a lot recently with regards to hospitals. What with visiting my mum everyday, and more recently hubby had an appendectomy and I even managed to go to a hospital for myself for the xray.
I've realised how important it is not to avoid hospitals. I worked through it with the techniques I picked up from a book I bought called overcoming health anxiety.
I've cut out caffeine and am trying to eat healthily... although I have got rid of the supplements.
I'm taking time each day to enjoy myself, even with something small like a game or a walk with the kids.
Also making sure I get daily fresh air and exercise.
So I do have tools and realise how badly I dealt with this situation.

Tanner40
12-02-14, 14:03
Hanging Basket, great job on working the CBT. You are going through a very tough time right now. I know, as I'm going through something similar. The more that you practice the rational thinking of CBT, the easier that it will become for you. It will eventually retrain your thought patterns.
You have not dealt with this situation badly we all have our off days. Remember that you are doing the best that you can. All of the stress catches up to us after awhile. It sounds like you are doing so many things right. Take pride in what you are doing and the in the forward strides that you've made. You are starting to turn a bad situation into a good one.
I'm very proud of you and you need to be proud of yourself as well.

jillyb
12-02-14, 14:15
So pleased your results are good. I lost my ex to c last year and it really has affected my health anxiety and focussing on my own mortality. I'm much older than you! I've just started on citalopram and hoping it can help me to get to a better place. I could get a PhD in cbt but blowed if I can put it into practice! Hopefully you can now relax a bit and then I'm sure you'll feel much better x

nomorepanic
12-02-14, 14:43
Why didn't you tell us about the extra vitamin supplements you had taken - that would have mad a big difference to some replies

Glad all is ok though

hangingbasket
12-02-14, 18:09
Nicola, I can't believe my stupidity. I might have caused this worry over nothing. I took them because I thought it would save me worry. I thought my iron levels were low and it would pick up on it and send me into a panic. My husband is so cross with me for doing it but it honestly didn't enter my head that it could work negatively. It seemed such a good idea.
I'm still not convinced that is the cause but its a high possibility as the doctor mentioned it before I did.
I didn't mention it in my post because I didn't think of it. I couldn't see past cancer and wouldn't see any other option. It came to me when the doctor asked me that, yes, there is a possibility I caused this myself.

swgrl09
12-02-14, 21:57
I just wanted to let you know that I can definitely relate to you. I lost my mom to cancer 3 years ago and the two years following her death my health anxiety was soooo bad. I thought everything was cancer, and honestly, how could I not after what I had gone through?

So I guess my point is go easy on yourself. How could you not think everything is cancer after your loss? Your anxiety is all shaken up. But I got better about it after a lot of therapy and some meds, and you will too :hugs: I'm so sorry you had a similar loss.

nomorepanic
12-02-14, 22:09
Never mind we live and learn as they say

You will get there in time