PDA

View Full Version : omeprazole long term

MissSunshine
12-02-14, 09:59
Hi all I've recently been out on omeprazole and was told I'd be on them for a long long time. I am scared about this as I've been told ppi's stop acid all together which is dangerous. I asked my doctor if it's safe to use long term and he said it is safe but I am still about nervous about it all,
The reason why I'm on omeprazole is because I keep getting acid reflux
Is anyone else on omeprazole or similar Long term?
X

skippy66
12-02-14, 10:02
I was on similar (rabeprazole) for a long time. The first time I tried to come off them cold turkey and I got bad heartburn again. So I went back on, then tapered off them slowly, then taking only as needed, now I don't need them at all. I wouldn't worry about the safety of them, but I would consider a diet change to see if that works before going on them.

Serenity1990
12-02-14, 10:22
My grandad's been on them for many years and he's 93 now. I'm sure you'll be fine. (Y)

greggs92
12-02-14, 10:30
Hi all I've recently been out on omeprazole and was told I'd be on them for a long long time. I am scared about this as I've been told ppi's stop acid all together which is dangerous. I asked my doctor if it's safe to use long term and he said it is safe but I am still about nervous about it all,
The reason why I'm on omeprazole is because I keep getting acid reflux
Is anyone else on omeprazole or similar Long term?
X
The thing about taking anxiety pills long term, is that they can relax your stomach muscles so much that it can be difficult to tolerate certain foods. That's a side effect. But dw you won't be on them forever :)

HoneyLove
12-02-14, 10:37
PPIs only work to reduce acid, not stop you producing it completely. If they stopped it totally your stomach wouldn't be able to function and what would be the point in giving you a drug like that?

Trust your doctor, they're not going to advise you to do something that would actually be dangerous to your health.

But Skippy is right, you should also be looking at your diet, lifestyle and stress levels to help with the reflux. Generally doctors don't like patients to be on PPIs for years and years unless they really need it, so it can be good to see what kind of measures you can put in place to help yourself with it.

Worriedwellornot
12-02-14, 18:34
Hi I've been on lansaprazole for 4 months now but getting worried about being on them long term. I recently upped my dosage from 15 to 40 because I had run out of the lower dosage but my stomach and bowels have really played up. I should be going back to my Drs for an update but keep putting it off as I'm worried I will be referred for endoscopy and what that will show. I keep thinking the longer I go on the less chance it's something very serious. My current HA is pancreatic cancer and I can't get over this at the moment.

Hope you are ok

Magic
13-02-14, 12:18
I agree with what honeylove has said. I myself try to eat sensibly, but continue to take zanac which is more or less the same thing as omeprazole x

Dexterjames
13-02-14, 12:21
I have been on it forever :(