PDA

View Full Version : HIV Massive Worry

ScheifferB
12-02-14, 23:14
Hi guys and girls,

I'm really not sure if it's me relapsing and having a bit of a 'wobble' with my obsessive thoughts and anxiety again but recently I was watching a segment of morning T.V. that was mentioning HIV, then all of a sudden I just went into a state of panic thinking "I have HIV". At first I couldn't detail why, but then my brain started picking through to find out why I have it.

3 years ago I had a one night stand when very drunk with a girl who I'm friends with, it was unprotected sex. It was the first time I'd been careless but thought nothing of it afterwards, I never showed any symptoms and have been in a relationship 3 years from then with a girl who had an STI check a few weeks into our relationship but was clear for everything. At the time as my anxiety and agoraphobia was so bad I never bothered getting checked up, and now it's just starting to haunt me. I've never shown any symptoms at all, and my health has been good. I've been checked up by the doctor a lot over the last few years due to depression, and I've had ample blood tests taken, would it of shown up in my bloods?

A few months ago I also cut my knuckle open on a rusty item at a friends and my tendons became infected. The doctors in the hospital took bloods then as well, would it of also shown up then?

I feel like such an idiot, for the fact it was unprotected and the fact it's 3 years on and it's worrying me.

I'm going for a full check up tomorrow with a friends.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

ScheifferB
13-02-14, 11:20
Anyone?

Althea
13-02-14, 14:24
You have to test for HIV to see HIV, but you don't have HIV. Good luck with your checkup, make sure to ask for an HIV test if that's what you want (though it will be fine). And next time tell your partner to insist that *you* have a full STI test when she does :).

ScheifferB
13-02-14, 20:29
You have to test for HIV to see HIV, but you don't have HIV. Good luck with your checkup, make sure to ask for an HIV test if that's what you want (though it will be fine). And next time tell your partner to insist that *you* have a full STI test when she does :).

I get told I don't have it but I'm not sure how people can be so sure, it's worrying me sick. I'll be going to the clinic next week as that's the only time it's open, I've wondered is checking in with the doctor a good idea?

Fishmanpa
13-02-14, 20:40
Has it occurred to you that after three years you might be kinda sick by now?
Regardless, if you're that concerned, go get tested.

Positive thoughts

Althea
13-02-14, 21:38
I don't think there's any reason to check in with the doctor unless that will put this thought to rest in your head without needing to be tested.

sahara
13-02-14, 22:25
For one it's much harder to contract it as the male in a heterosexual relationship, b it's really unlikely statistically. I worried an.bout HIV for years and I was fine, just like I am sure u will be. You do need an HIV specific test to confirm that you don't have it x

scared_ter
14-02-14, 12:00
I get told I don't have it but I'm not sure how people can be so sure, it's worrying me sick. I'll be going to the clinic next week as that's the only time it's open, I've wondered is checking in with the doctor a good idea?

The risk you outlined is extremely low.
You could get an instant test and have the results in 15 mins.
The wait is scary, Ive done it, but great feeling after when told its ok, which you will be.
I'd bet the house on you being fine.
Best of luck.

Leslie735
14-02-14, 13:38
I can almost guarantee you do not have HIV. You said you are friends with this girl, I would think if she had HIV it would've been mentioned to you if you two are even kinda close. That, it's been 3 years, I'm sure some sort of symptom would've occurred by now as well. Statiscally, odds are very much in your favor. I'm sure you are just fine. :hugs:

ps Of course, you should get tested, it's always a good idea, mainly for just the peace of mind.

ScheifferB
15-02-14, 20:20
Thanks all, I'll post the results next week

GlassPinata
15-02-14, 22:14
I had this worry twice, in my 20s.
There's nothing to do but to get tested.
You're lucky in a way; this is a simple test, with a quick and clear cut "yes" or "no".
I'm sure that in your case it is "no", and you could know within a week, if you go get tested on Monday. Then your problem will be solved.

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

In the meantime, you might want to Google HIV statistics, for your age and geographical location. I always found this reassuring; it's far less common than one might think. I've only ever known one guy that had it, and he was an IV drug user.

ScheifferB
18-02-14, 19:39
I had this worry twice, in my 20s.
There's nothing to do but to get tested.
You're lucky in a way; this is a simple test, with a quick and clear cut "yes" or "no".
I'm sure that in your case it is "no", and you could know within a week, if you go get tested on Monday. Then your problem will be solved.

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

In the meantime, you might want to Google HIV statistics, for your age and geographical location. I always found this reassuring; it's far less common than one might think. I've only ever known one guy that had it, and he was an IV drug user.

Well 3% of the UK aged between 15-24 had HIV in 2012, and I live in Wales and only 2% of Wales are infected. That makes me feel some what better

scared_ter
18-02-14, 20:26
Well 3% of the UK aged between 15-24 had HIV in 2012, and I live in Wales and only 2% of Wales are infected. That makes me feel some what better

Where did you get those stats? There is no way they are correct, that's far too high.
.3% maybe, certainly not 3%.

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

Where did you get those stats? There is no way they are correct, that's far too high.
.3% maybe, certainly not 3%.

Althea
18-02-14, 20:34
Good point, ter--the figure I'm seeing for overall rate in England is .15%, and Wales is much lower. ScheifferB, I'm thinking you're over a hundred times less likely to have HIV than you think just demographically.

scared_ter
18-02-14, 20:52
Good point, ter--the figure I'm seeing for overall rate in England is .15%, and Wales is much lower. ScheifferB, I'm thinking you're over a hundred times less likely to have HIV than you think just demographically.

3% and there would be quarantining of risks groups.
I think it was around that amongst gay men in San Francisco in the mid eighties.

GlassPinata
19-02-14, 02:36
Lol, I thought that sounded a little high. It may be accurate for subsaharan Africa, not for England. Jeesh, can you imagine?

ScheifferB
21-02-14, 16:44
I can't remember the website, I'm sure it said .3% now I think of it

GlassPinata
22-02-14, 01:15
Scheiff-ffferrrr. /stern look.
You should already have your negative test results by now.
Did you not go get tested?

anthrokid
22-02-14, 02:17
The best thing to do is to get a blood test and be done with the worry. You said you were getting a check-up. How did that go? If the results are negative then you have nothing at all to worry about.

MoonlightFire
22-02-14, 13:45
HIV transmission from a single sexual encounter is rare. HIV is a fragile virus and does not transmit easily. Do you know the HIV status of the person you slept with? It's very likely that you are absolutely fine. Did you get your test?

I had a huge HIV fear for years but eventually plucked up the courage to go get a test and I'm really glad I did :)

ScheifferB
24-02-14, 13:31
I do not have any local clinics so I'm awaiting the 28th (Pay Day) to pay for transportation. I spoke to my GP, he has done numerous blood tests on me over the last 3 years and has never noticed anything odd.