PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam and depression?

cubist
12-02-14, 23:55
Evening.

Due to the breakdown of my marriage on Sunday, my anxiety levels have been really high and I'm also feeling very down.

Back in August, my dr. prescribed me 2mg of Diazepam, however I have ben reluctant to take due to the fact that dizziness is the most crippling part of my anxiety and this is the main side effect, right?

I've been considering taking it to ease this difficult time but the NHS website states that it shouldn't be used by anxiety sufferers who also have depression (surely that's nearly everyone considering the two are co-morbid right?)

Anyone any experience of this?

TIA

Emphyrio
13-02-14, 00:03
Sorry to hear about your circumstances.

2mg of diazepam is a low dose, but provides subtle relaxation. In the past when I've taken diazepam (and propranolol for that matter) I have felt a bit down the following day, but its not noticeable enough for me to definitely attribute to the medication, if you know what I mean. I didn't really experience much dizziness.

The only thing I would watch out for is that your body does build up tolerance to it fairly quickly. Even though I've never taken them for a prolonged period of time, I find that 2mg does nothing for me and have to take 4 or 6mg to experience any kind of anxiolytic effect.