PDA

View Full Version : Mad at myself

RoseEve
13-02-14, 02:55
I was doing so good! Almost 2 weeks without Dr. Google. My father told me my brother has atrophy in his right leg and he had decreased reflexes. I'm worried about him but of course I remember that my reflexes were barely detectable when I had my son. Obviously we both have ALS. My mind is so ridiculous I've spent the last 2 hours looking at ALS sites. I'm really mad at myself :(

skippy66
13-02-14, 09:28
It's funny because once you've recognised that you have HA and you've taken the first steps to recovery, a good thing to try is exposure therapy. That is, go and deliberately look at as many scary things about ALS as you can. The theory is that exposure reduces the fear of it - this does actually work, but it's only for people who are some way along the path to recovery.

I would advise you to stop Googling for now, but once you feel brave enough, on a good day, deliberately go and look at all the bad ALS sites you can find. Once you realise that they are just words on a page and can not influence your own situation in any way, your fear of Dr Google will go away as it did for me.

Andrash
13-02-14, 09:50
It's funny because once you've recognised that you have HA and you've taken the first steps to recovery, a good thing to try is exposure therapy. That is, go and deliberately look at as many scary things about ALS as you can. The theory is that exposure reduces the fear of it - this does actually work, but it's only for people who are some way along the path to recovery.

I would advise you to stop Googling for now, but once you feel brave enough, on a good day, deliberately go and look at all the bad ALS sites you can find. Once you realise that they are just words on a page and can not influence your own situation in any way, your fear of Dr Google will go away as it did for me.

The best way to reduce an ALS fear-go to an ALS walk or fundraiser, talk to people and also donate something or raise awareness about ALS. You'll help your anxiety, and you'll also do a good and useful deed because people with ALS are really, really suffering and need all the help they can get.

RoseEve
13-02-14, 11:58
It says that is the next step in my CBT book. But I've looked at a million als sites it still terrifies me. I don't understand how it says to stop looking up medical sites but to expose yourself. Can someone explain this please?

Andrash
13-02-14, 12:50
It says that is the next step in my CBT book. But I've looked at a million als sites it still terrifies me. I don't understand how it says to stop looking up medical sites but to expose yourself. Can someone explain this please?

I repeat-try meeting these people face to face and try to help them.

cut_out_stars
13-02-14, 13:34
It's so funny isn't it.. We know not to google, yet sometimes it's an impulse or we seriously just can't help ourselves! It really is like an addiction. 2 weeks is really good progress. This is just a little blip, you'll be fine :)

RoseEve
13-02-14, 14:33
Thank you. I think you are right. I'm not obsessing that much this morning and I haven't visited google. I do hope my brother doesn't have anything serious though.

cut_out_stars
13-02-14, 18:13
:hugs: I hope your brother is ok, too :)

KLP
13-02-14, 19:11
I thought I had ALS last week. I foolishly googled it and BAM. I had it!!!! After lots of weeps I made myself go on a ALS forum and find out for myself if I had the symptoms. Then instantly felt relieved.