PDA

View Full Version : HIV Anxiety

BGIII
13-02-14, 10:37
Hi there,

Around 4 months ago (approx October 2013) I had a small cut to my index finger and as such I used an antiseptic wipe to clean it before applying a plaster. The thing is, the wipe I took out the packet looked as though it had already been used - there were visible traces of blood and what looked like mud on the wipe. The packaging didn't seem to have been torn in the first place and the wipe was still moist. I wiped my finger with the wipe.

I have had HIV anxiety plaguing me since the incident. Could HIV have survived on the wipe? After all, it was in a sterile packet and not exposed to air. I have considered going for a HIV test but I'm fearful or contracting HIV from the needle from the blood test. I am in desperate need of advice as the thought of having HIV is tearing me apart.

scared_ter
13-02-14, 10:47
There's not a hope you got hiv from that incident.
Rest easy.
Educate yourself on transmission of hiv and it will put your mind at rest.

BGIII
13-02-14, 11:00
But there is surely a risk of blood-blood transmission there?

Phuzella
13-02-14, 11:03
If the packet was sealed how would the blood have got on the wipe?

BGIII
13-02-14, 11:13
I have no idea, perhaps it hadn't been sealed fully. It was straight out of a first aid kit

Phuzella
13-02-14, 11:23
OK say by some fluke there was blood on it from when the first aid kit was produced and packed in a factory or somewhere.
1. The person whose blood it was would have to be HIV positive
2. Apparently the virus is quite fragile and can't survive outside the body for very long.
3. I would imagine these kits are stored for some time before distribution.
Don't worry you'll be fine, I've had all sorts of worries like yours in the past, and I'm still here. :D