PDA

View Full Version : Terrifying hot flashes in public

LostinThought
13-02-14, 19:10
Hi all. I just got back from shopping at my local shopping centre. I'm still feeling a bit out of it.

I was standing in a shop, already a bit anxious anyway and I was already feeling uncomfortably warm due to having a coat on (it was cold outside but very warm in the centre, always a problem). The shop was lit by strong lights and was waiting for the shop lady to finish gift wrapping when I come over unbearably hot and sweaty, my heart started to race and a feeling of absolute terror came over me. I felt like I was going to pass out right then and there due to how warm I *apparently* was. All I could think of was getting out outside as soon as possible. I found my breathing started to go funny, like I couldn't catch my breath. When I payed the lady I dropped all my money first and bumped into another customer due to my panicking.

I was with my sister and as soon as I had finished paying I bolted out the door with her and made for the nearest exit. I had to stand by the open door for a few minutes to cool/calm down, still convinced I was going to pass out. My sister said I was crazy and she wasn't hot at all.

We slowly made our way back into the centre to finish our shopping, but it happened again a few minutes later as were walking through the very middle. I was walking so fast, trying to finish shopping as soon as possible.

On the bus ride home, I felt a flood of adrenaline being released and I felt a bit queasy and panicky again. All in all, it wasn't a fun trip.

The question i have though is WHY did this happen? Was I genuinely over-heated due to the warm shops? I was only wearing an unbuttoned coat with t shirt and jeans and I saw people walking around wearing quite a bit more than that. Or was it literally panic setting off a hot sweat? Does anybody get similar attacks like this? Any help, advice will be much appreciated. This was a pretty terrifying experience. I still feel a bit queasy now. :shrug:

cloudbusting
13-02-14, 19:16
Hi Lost In Thought
Oh, I get them too ! They feel awful don't they ? But they are nothing more than an energy burst. I expect that you felt a little anxious already about the shopping trip ? And feeling hot is a very uncomfortable feeling, isn't it ? As your senses and nerves are heightened at the moment you will feel ( normal) bodily sensations that maybe wouldn't have been so strong before your anxiety.
Take a look at this, you'll see that it's quite normal as an anxiety symptom.
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms/
Lisa x

ohwell123
13-02-14, 19:26
also if this has happened before in this environment your mind will have gone oh no im hear again

LostinThought
13-02-14, 20:29
Hi Lost In Thought
Oh, I get them too ! They feel awful don't they ? But they are nothing more than an energy burst. I expect that you felt a little anxious already about the shopping trip ? And feeling hot is a very uncomfortable feeling, isn't it ? As your senses and nerves are heightened at the moment you will feel ( normal) bodily sensations that maybe wouldn't have been so strong before your anxiety.
Take a look at this, you'll see that it's quite normal as an anxiety symptom.
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms/
Lisa x

Hi Lisa. I hope I don't sound selfish or mean by saying somebody out there gets this and understands! You're right, it really is one of my absolute worst symptoms. I can deal with feeling shaky or a racing heart if I know for sure it's just anxiety. But getting this unbearable hot sweat in public with no way out just completely destroys my confidence. It was so unbearable. What do you do when you get this symptom, do you find yourself removing layers of clothes and is it necessary or will the body correct itself? I'm so terrified of fainting, it's my biggest phobia, even though I've never lost consciousness before, but maybe that's why I'm so scared of it.

---------- Post added at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

And yes, I have had this symptom in similar places before, so it may well be a learned response.

ohwell123
13-02-14, 21:14
hi you see you fear fainting you will never faint anxiety is all about what you THINK will happen

I go red faced sometimes and the more you think about it the redder you get

ie the more you think about the harmless headache the more it plagues you

THINK THINK THINK Lol terrible isnt

cloudbusting
13-02-14, 21:46
Hi again
I have a fear of fainting too but they do say that, if you haven't fainted yet then it's highly unlikely that you will.
I have to remove my jacket or whatever when it happens - I remember a stranger making a comment in a shop queue once when I did that and that made me anxious in queues then ! It does stop on its own though - did you read through the symptoms list that I posted ?
A website that I have been findi g really useful lately is anxietyguru.com. Loads of practical advice on there and a really interesting part about the 'anxiety trick' that's well worth a read. I have been putting this into practice and it has been working !
Lisa x

LostinThought
13-02-14, 21:51
Thanks, Lisa. Yes, I am pretty good friends with that list, but reading it again helped me so thank you for posting the link :) I will check out Anxiety Guru too.

Haha, I know the feeling of stripping off in public. I must get some looks when out and about. At the time though I couldn't care a less how I look, I just want the horrible feelings to end!

mandie
15-02-14, 00:18
Hi Lostinthought

This is exactly how I get when im in supermarkets and shopping centres. I had one of my worst panic attacks in these places so now I never feel comfortable when im there.

mandie x

cymraig_chris
15-02-14, 02:15
It's a symptom of the emotion of anxiety, it's also a symptom of lots of other emotive states laughing too much, being excited, being in love, exercising, having an orgasm etc.

It's not harmful. Don't fear it. There's nothing wrong with you at all.