PDA

View Full Version : negative thoughts

earp1001
14-02-14, 16:18
Hi, I got hit with what I was told was circumstantial anxiety almost 4 months ago. it was tough and it still is but I feel I am on the road to recovery. I exercise daily and talk a lot about what happened and how I feel. the anxiety levels are way down and I can pretty much function as normal but I am still having negative thoughts which are about my wife. basically insecurity and lack of confidence. I would love to hear from anyone who is in the same boat and find out if the thought process changes or if there are any tips on how to change or help this. it is frustrating as it is like the last remnants of this thing.

Oosh
15-02-14, 16:21
Without knowing what happened I'm finding it hard to offer any specific advice.

Insecurity and lack of confidence. I think to repair those two all you have is the voice in your own mind counteracting them and feeding you thoughts that breed confidence and feeling secure in yourself.

I read a book recently I really liked that might help you get a handle on this battle in your head. It's called The Chimp Paradox by Dr Steve Peters.

It explains the reason for these battles in your head.
The limbic system, the ancient part of your brain, the chimp feeding you these emotions and opposite it, the human, the frontal lobe, telling you rational things, calming you down and countering the irrational chimp.

I don't know if it'll help specifically with what happened to you but it instantly let me recognised which of the two was at work in my thoughts when they spouted up. Gave me a very strong handle on my thoughts and emotions.

greggs92
15-02-14, 16:56
Hey there! I understand what it's like to have negative thoughts, the best advice i can give you is to accept them which means no fighting. Or you could build up a consistent practice of positive affirmations. every time a negative thought comes in, just replace it with something that makes you feel good.
Thanks