PDA

View Full Version : Think I've made a horrible mistake...

harasgenster
16-02-14, 15:32
I'm very anxious about this but I'm sure there's another way I could look at it to calm down.

My brother's ex and I are friends. She told me a concerning secret, which I kept quiet for a month.

Last night, me, my brother and her were drinking together and she was behaving erratically and upset. After she'd gone I told my brother I was really worried and when he kept asking why I, slightly drunk, reasoned I could trust him and shared so I could talk it through.

The problem is the first person he is going to tell is his girlfriend and I don't trust her an inch. She is manipulative and has in the past done things that make me think she enjoys hurting the girl whose secret I was supposed to keep.

I feel absolutely awful now. I've tried calling my brother to make him promise he will not tell his girlfriend, but he isn't answering. I feel like such a complete failure as a friend and I'm incredibly worried it will get back to her that I shared her secret. Not just because I would lose a friend, but because she is in a frail state of mind and this would be horrible for her.

EDIT
In good news, my brother finally texted back and told me he obviously won't tell anyone, but I still feel like a total failure and a bad person. That could have gone horribly wrong. I guess I just hope someone can tell me its human to do this kind of thing? I'm so angry with myself!

Gah, I keep thinking this over and there are so many other things I could have said instead of telling the whole truth. I could have just told him that some of my conversations with her had left me worried but that I didn't feel it was my place to share. He would have accepted that. I can't believe I was such a massive idiot! I keep questioning my motives as well. Did I tell because I wanted to talk it through (I regretted it immediately when I saw how worried he was about it) or did I just want to share the gossip? I feel so incredibly ashamed. I don't really know how to put my techniques for distress into practice when something is definitely my own fault.

Oosh
16-02-14, 21:38
All you can do in a situation where you know you've made a boob is remember what it feels like. It's all you can do. You've learned a lesson about yourself.

You don't like how it felt when you did this. Observe your reaction to it. You've done something that you're discovering now, wasn't really you. But now you've learned a bit more about yourself and next time you're in that situation you'll know what to do to feel good about it.

Nobody's perfect. I've learned so many "lessons". I have flashbacks of my "lessons" from time to time and hold my face and cringe. I don't like how they made me feel. I won't make them again.

Tessar
17-02-14, 21:23
Hey, stop it ... U r not a bad person. You told a person u should be able to trust. And u were concerned about someone. that is good enough for me.

WhyWhyWhy
17-02-14, 23:11
Do you know what you are certainly not a bad person, look how remorseful you are! A bad person wouldn't care at this point.

You made a mistake and you'll learn from this. It's a lesson! Go a little easier on yourself x

harasgenster
22-02-14, 23:18
Thank you for your replies everybody! I'm sorry I couldn't reply back before, I went on holiday for a week.

My anxiety over this did eventually calm down, but like Oosh said, I think I've learned from it because it certainly feels like quite a lesson! I worry a lot about this particular friend and the thought of having made it any worse (fortunately, I haven't) was horrifying.

Your kind replies have really helped me on this one. Horrible when you regret something isn't it?! Will definitely be thinking things through a little more in the future...