PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer to Pregabalin - experiences/side effects?

Catherine84
16-02-14, 19:05
I was admitted to an alcohol rehab centre about a month ago and spent three weeks there. While I was in there having my Librium detox, I was also prescribed 3 x 5mg Diazepam a day as my anxiety was deemed to be so severe, but this was gradually tapered off to 6mg a day upon my discharge.

To cut a long story short, I've been incredibly stupid. I haven't coped well with adjusting to the real world again (I do have an aftercare plan in place and have been attending aa meetings) and had a supply of Diazepam at home from a few months ago and started taking up to 30mg a day (in divided doses). I went to the GP, who suggested tapering off at a dose of 2mg a day and going on Pregabalin, which she said it was safe to take with Diazepam, but I have read to the contrary.

I have also read that Pregabalin can initially act as a stimulant, cause increased anxiety and bad insomnia. I am at the stage where I cannot handle any more stress as I have to be out of my landlady's house in 10 days. I cannot afford to be ill. The last drug I tried was Citalopram, which had me kicking and screaming in panic.

I thought Pregabalin was supposed to send you to sleep and sedate you (which would be lovely right now!), so not sure what to do. I am sitting here with the packet next to me, trying to make a decision.

Going back to drink isn't an option for me, I have a very limited supply of 2mg Diazepam left, and I don't want another addiction. I am desperate for something long term.

I guess I just wanted some advice/reassurance/peoples' experiences, which would be greatly appreciated. X

loreen
16-02-14, 19:19
Hi Catherine

Sorry you are having such a tough time.

I have been on pregabalin for a while now, and it definitely helps with my anxiety and panic attacks. It is mildly sedating, and may cause drowsiness and some dizziness when you first take it .

Like everything else, it may not work for you,but it is well worth a try. It is best to take it at least twice a day (in split doses) as the effect can soon wear off.

Hope this helps. You don't have anything to loose by giving it a try xxx

SarahH
16-02-14, 19:59
You dont say what dose of pregabalin you have been given......... Normally the dosage starts at 75mgs a day building up to 400-600mgs a day over a period of a few weeks. Some people get benefit from lower doses, some need to go higher.
You can take Valium and pregabalin together....you should feel pretty sleepy afterwards.
COMMON symptoms are , dizziness, feeling drunk, slurred speech. This should pass after a few days, then you can up the dose, but the side effects will come on again for a few days. I went from 75mgs a day to 400mgs a day in 2 weeks. It knocked my anxiety on the head within a couple of DAYS!. However, after 10months on t I have felt it wearing off and am now back on Citalopram (tapering up slowly) which is now helping. I intend to come odd Pregabalin in a couple of months. But it really helped me out of a hole last year!

Sarah

almamatters
16-02-14, 20:22
I have been on 400mg of pregabalin for about 18 months. It worked really well for my anxiety, but I did have a bit of dizziness and forgetfulness for the first few days of taking it. The only side effect that bothered me was weight gain but it was worth it for the other benefits I have had.

hanshan
17-02-14, 03:18
Hi Catherine,

You don't say where you read that pregabalin is unsafe to take with valium, or that it can initially act as a stimulant, cause insomnia and anxiety. There are some websites (usually not NMP) where more extreme posters reside - treat them with caution.

Also, the list of possible side-effects that is included with every medication these days will include every ailment known to medical science. Usually, you only have to look at the most common four or five, which usually will be minor or temporary.

Good luck with pregabalin. If you have been taking up to 30 mg a day of diazepam, you might find pregabalin a bit more subtle, but it does work for many people. You can take it long-term - I've been taking it for just over three years and it's still working fine for me.

BobbyDog
17-02-14, 17:07
I only take 300mg in a split dose, but it does work for me. Perhaps you should give it a go Catherine.
Glad to hear you are a lot better.

sarah.x

Catherine84
21-02-14, 23:18
Hello and thank you for replying :).

Yes, I am on 75mgs once a day for the first week, and then twice a day thereafter (once in the morning and once in the evening).

I've been taking it for four days so far, and I seem to be more hyper than usual - I'm not sure if this is normal. I am still trying to wean myself off the Diazepam, but the anxiety doesn't seem to go until I take the Diazepam. I gather I am on quite a low dose of Pregabalin, though?

Sarah, if you don't mind me asking, does your Pregabalin dose help with the breathing obsession? What I need more than anything, now I have given up drinking, is relief from that. Drink seemed to be the only thing that worked for it, but we all know it is not the solution. x

hanshan
22-02-14, 04:20
I noticed that I was more talkative when I first started taking pregabalin - not so much as a stimulant but because my social anxiety had dropped somewhat. This only lasted a week or two, and my behaviour evened out.

75 mg is a low dose of pregabalin. Some people respond at that level, but others need a higher dose. You can go up to 600 mg per day, but if it's going to work, most people have noticed some effect after a week at the 300 - 400 mg per day dose.

You probably still need to taper down slowly from diazepam over several weeks, while increasing pregabalin. Doctors often seem to want to do it all in one to two weeks. Also, some posters to NMP are able to keep an emergency supply of a benzodiazepine like lorazepam for breakout anxiety, while still taking pregabalin on a daily basis. Good luck, and I hope it helps with the breathing - I have no experience there.

SarahH
22-02-14, 11:41
I agree with what hanshan says (as always:)) As you increase the dose to what is right for you your anxiety symptoms will disappear . Try looking at Mindfulness for your breathing. There are loads of them on the internet..........Keep going.

And yes I have a supply of valium for blips (Lorazepam). I am lucky though as I dont use it daily. Pregabalin will help you with the withdrawal from Diazepam.

Sarah

celt34
24-03-14, 19:10
I've just started pregabalin, my anxiety makes me
sick and I have zero appetite which scares me. They started me on 75mgs twice daily and now I'm anxious, dizzy and spaced out. How long til it kicks in and when does dizziness etc go?

almamatters
24-03-14, 19:45
I started noticing the effects after about 5 days, the dizziness for me lasted about a week on and off which did cause me to feel anxious but I soon got used to taking it and the dizziness disappeared.