PDA

View Full Version : Fear of bad news/heart attack

Dvorak
16-02-14, 21:00
Hello everyone! :)

I've had this fear for a nearly half a year now, and I was wondering if you could help me out.

So the thing is that I'm afraid of bad news, because I fear I'll have a heart attack. The reason this idea got into my mind is because of two events: Once when I was having dinner with my girlfriend, she received a text that her sister was involved in an accident and that she was hospitalized and would lose her arm. Later it turned out to be a joke, though in very, very bad taste. The other event was when my father and mother told me my brother was driving around with suicidal thoughts, after a break-up, and that no-one was able to contact him (things turned out okay afterwards though).

My physiological response each time was a raise in heart rate (comparable to a very bad panic attack). It would just shoot up to 170-200 and I would become a bit light-headed within two minutes. Of course after I notice this I get into panic mode.

Does anyone have experience in this? Also, I went to a cardiologist last year where my max heartrate was 210. Furthermore he told me all data was perfect.

WhyWhyWhy
17-02-14, 10:08
Interesting, I'm also afraid of bad news, this puts me off visiting a doctor or doing anything that could result in bad news.

Your cardiologist told you all data was fine,so that's all ok.

I wish I could help you with that fear but just know you're not alone. I fear bad news everyday. If I hear from someone I haven't heard from in a while I'll assume it's bad news, if they don't give me bad news, I'll assume they couldn't bring themselves to tell me. Honestly I drive myself crazy x