PDA

View Full Version : I am so scared

Monza
17-02-14, 13:42
Hello, I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for nearly a month. I have been taking some cipralex for three and half weeks (first 2,5 then 5.0 and now 7,5 mg). I have been suffering from insomnia with a lot of nightmares and waking up with my heart racing. My problem is that I wake up every hour and about 20 minutes, most of the time when I am dreaming and with my heart racing. I havent had a good night sleep (and sleeping more than 2 hours straight) for three weeks and I really start to be worried. After two weeks of taking the cipralex, I felt better for three days with less nightmares and still waking up every hour but without my heart beating like crazy. Then, when I thought I was getting better, I woke up at 1h last Tuesday with a massive panic attack. I wasnt expecting this at all and since then, I keep waking up every hour with my heart racing... I am so scared as I have the impression that it will never stop and that I will never sleep again.... Today I feel very panicky like I am shaking inside. Has anyone suffered from this? Any tips? I really need reassurance. My doctor checked my heart and all is fine. She is said it is anxiety.... thank you so much for your help.

Zeitgeist
17-02-14, 14:10
Ask for propanalol, I take one before bed and although it doesn't last all night I find it gives me a good5 or 6 hours and a slightly more gentle wakening.

Monza
18-02-14, 19:39
Thank you ! I will see with my doctor if I could be prescribed some... Thank you again .

blue moon
19-02-14, 12:37
Hi, the tablet you are taking might not agrr with you,talk to your gp.

Petra x

TooMuchToLiveFor
19-02-14, 12:46
Hey Monza,

I am on the SSRI train too, and had been experiencing much of what you are dealing with now. It takes a good, little while for the SSRIs to build up in your system in order for them to start giving you a really therapeutic effect. My doctor said 12 weeks at the therapeutic dose before you can really know. Your dose is also extremely low. I know you are titrating up, which is good for start up effects, but between your low dose and the short amount of time you have been on it……you probably are just going to need to ride it out for awhile longer to get the best effects.
Also, if you are taking it at night you might want to consider adjusting to taking it in the morning as many people sleep better at night after taking their SSRIs in the morn.

Hope that helps-- and hang in there! It gets better! SOOOO much better! I am living proof!
I'm here to chat anytime!

Antianxiety
20-02-14, 03:42
Monza, TooMuchTooLive for really knows their stuff. I am in your same situation except add dizziness to the equation. Meds help with sleep. Definitely takes time for meds to start working. Daily walking helps tremendously.

Monza
20-02-14, 08:48
thank you so much for your comments. It does help to see that I am not the only one... I have tried to take it in the morning but it hasn't improved the quality of my sleep. My doctor would like me to take a sleeping tablet but I am scared as I have never taken any. Everything scares me at the minute and it is becoming unbearable... I am kind of ok during the day (I do not seem that my heart is racing or maybe I dont notice it) and I am thinking I am sure tonight I will sleep longer than 1h30 and then when I go to sleep, I fall asleep quickly and then wake up an hour later with my heart racing and like this on and off for the rest of the night. I am really so discouraged. I wake up with a pain in the sternum and in the ribbs and at the same place in my back. My Doctor says that it is my anxiety but I am struggling to think it is only this. I am supposed to leave next Wednesday for work for three days and I have no idea how I will manage this... thank you again so much for your comforting words. It does help me so much...

SarahH
20-02-14, 09:13
Hey Monza,

I am on the SSRI train too, and had been experiencing much of what you are dealing with now. It takes a good, little while for the SSRIs to build up in your system in order for them to start giving you a really therapeutic effect. My doctor said 12 weeks at the therapeutic dose before you can really know. Your dose is also extremely low. I know you are titrating up, which is good for start up effects, but between your low dose and the short amount of time you have been on it……you probably are just going to need to ride it out for awhile longer to get the best effects.
Also, if you are taking it at night you might want to consider adjusting to taking it in the morning as many people sleep better at night after taking their SSRIs in the morn.

Hope that helps-- and hang in there! It gets better! SOOOO much better! I am living proof!
I'm here to chat anytime!

I agree!...I think you should also take some sleeping tablets in the short term to overcome these start up SE's. The star ups are a terrible for some ...me included......also remember not everyone has to go up to 20mgs....for some the "theraputic dose" is lower. Hang in there!

Sarah

greggs92
20-02-14, 09:49
Hello, I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for nearly a month. I have been taking some cipralex for three and half weeks (first 2,5 then 5.0 and now 7,5 mg). I have been suffering from insomnia with a lot of nightmares and waking up with my heart racing. My problem is that I wake up every hour and about 20 minutes, most of the time when I am dreaming and with my heart racing. I havent had a good night sleep (and sleeping more than 2 hours straight) for three weeks and I really start to be worried. After two weeks of taking the cipralex, I felt better for three days with less nightmares and still waking up every hour but without my heart beating like crazy. Then, when I thought I was getting better, I woke up at 1h last Tuesday with a massive panic attack. I wasnt expecting this at all and since then, I keep waking up every hour with my heart racing... I am so scared as I have the impression that it will never stop and that I will never sleep again.... Today I feel very panicky like I am shaking inside. Has anyone suffered from this? Any tips? I really need reassurance. My doctor checked my heart and all is fine. She is said it is anxiety.... thank you so much for your help.

Personally i wouldn't take any prescription pills as they are not the answer, they also make you feel dependent. I would focus more on natural things, Camomile tea, Kalms, massage's, relaxing tapes, exercise etc, you will feel more stronger :)