PDA

View Full Version : night sweats

hangingbasket
17-02-14, 14:01
I know that the high likelihood is that citalopram is causing this.I've been taking citalopram for about 9 months so is it likely that all side effects would have worn off by now?
A few months ago I noticed I've been waking up a few nights a week sweating. Mostly my back, neck and chest. Its not enough to make me change the sheets, but I feel damp and clammy. Im not drenched but I'm not really sure where the boundaries lie between dangerous night sweats and normal sweating. I'm 29 so nowhere near menopause.
Does anyone else sweat during the night? My partner said he does occasionally too and its normal. Probably the citalopram right?

RoseEve
17-02-14, 14:05
I often wake up with sweat around my neck I feel it on my shirt. I've had this fiercer not every night but it's totally normal. Remember when you are sleeping you are pressed against a mattress and covered in blankets.

WhyWhyWhy
17-02-14, 14:19
I think night sweats are where you wake up drenched in sweat. My little one had them once his pillow would be soaking wet, not just clammy or sticky.

Maybe someone will correct me but I'm pretty sure what you've described is nothing to worry about x

LunaLiuna
17-02-14, 14:23
I got really bad night sweats a month or two ago when I was severely anxious. it seems to come and go with me, it usually returns when I've had a bad day :)

Andrash
17-02-14, 14:40
I know that the high likelihood is that citalopram is causing this.I've been taking citalopram for about 9 months so is it likely that all side effects would have worn off by now?
A few months ago I noticed I've been waking up a few nights a week sweating. Mostly my back, neck and chest. Its not enough to make me change the sheets, but I feel damp and clammy. Im not drenched but I'm not really sure where the boundaries lie between dangerous night sweats and normal sweating. I'm 29 so nowhere near menopause.
Does anyone else sweat during the night? My partner said he does occasionally too and its normal. Probably the citalopram right?

Bear in mind that anxiety often causes "dangerous" night sweats too. Proven fact. :)

Fishmanpa
17-02-14, 15:07
***Raises my hand*** All the time. For me it's medication and the fact I wrap myself up like a mummy when I sleep ;)

I know what drenching sweats are as I had them for a bit before I was diagnosed.

Positive thoughts

nicola1980
17-02-14, 15:19
Im suffering really bad night sweats at the min, last night i woke up at 12 sodden along with sodden bed covers and ended up sleeping on the sofa, i think its my medication tho as its a common side effect but Im a bit concerned now as to what dangerous night sweats are?? X x

hangingbasket
17-02-14, 16:15
What are the drenching sweats though? I mean, how drenched are we talking? Is it literally like someone tipped water onto your bed or is it waking up thinking ugh! I'm sweaty! And being damp and clammy?

WhyWhyWhy
17-02-14, 16:31
When my little one had them his hair was wet. His little pj top was wet through, his pillow case had a big wet circle where his sweaty head had been.

I wrap myself up in bed, I love to be hot. I don't have the heating on in my room ever but if I do sleep in a heated room I overheat and get too hot and sweat.

From what you've described it's not what I'd consider to be classed as 'night sweats' xx

Fishmanpa
17-02-14, 17:23
What are the drenching sweats though? I mean, how drenched are we talking? Is it literally like someone tipped water onto your bed or is it waking up thinking ugh! I'm sweaty! And being damp and clammy?

Yes... a "real" night sweat and the kind that you should be concerned with are the type that make you have to change the sheets. You literally can ring sweat out of them. It's gross actually. I would completely soak the mattress and have to lay towels underneath when I put dry sheets on to prevent the mattress from getting sopping wet! This was happening for about 9-12 months prior to being dx'd with H&N cancer. That's why, with the swollen node and sweats I thought I had lymphoma. Turns out it was SCC which is even worse. Other than that I actually felt fine. I didn't have pain, trouble swallowing... none of the stuff many here worry about. After I had my surgery to remove the cancer from my neck, the sweats totally stopped. Now, I get the one's you describe and not all the time. Totally normal and harmless, especially if you're on meds.

Positive thoughts

hangingbasket
17-02-14, 17:33
Thanks fishmanpa.. your posts always help me to put things into perspective.

nicola1980
17-02-14, 17:40
Oh Im panicking now, I've been having the totally drenched night sweats where you can wring your bed clothes out :( x x

Fishmanpa
17-02-14, 17:58
Oh Im panicking now, I've been having the totally drenched night sweats where you can wring your bed clothes out :( x x

It happens in women many times before Aunt Flo comes to visit as well as pre and menopausal periods in their lives. Also can be caused by anti-depressants/SSRIs. If you're concerned, see your doctor.

Positive thoughts

nicola1980
17-02-14, 18:04
Thanks, Im only 33 so not menopausal i hope!! It is the most conn side effect of my meds, venlafaxine, but think i might mention it to my doctor as its only just started happening recently and I've been on the meds 2 year! Last night was the worst i was drenched as was my bed :( x x

hangingbasket
17-02-14, 18:05
I'm sorry for panicking you Nicola... apparently its very common with anxiety medication x

Fishmanpa
17-02-14, 18:08
Thanks, Im only 33 so not menopausal i hope!! It is the most conn side effect of my meds, venlafaxine, but think i might mention it to my doctor as its only just started happening recently and I've been on the meds 2 year! Last night was the worst i was drenched as was my bed :( x x

Yep... I just looked that up and bingo! There's thread after thread on that one.

Positive thoughts

hangingbasket
17-02-14, 18:15
How about citalopram fishmanpa? Too scared to Google it myself :(

nicola1980
17-02-14, 18:16
Yep... I just looked that up and bingo! There's thread after thread on that one.

Positive thoughts

Thanks you've put my mind at rest x x

Fishmanpa
17-02-14, 18:32
How about citalopram fishmanpa? Too scared to Google it myself :(

Jeez! What am I?... Your go to Google guy? ~lol~ I oughta start charging for my services.

"Fishmanpa's advice, Google search and reassurance service". $10 a pop... I could make a small fortune!

Yes.. same thing...
Do a search here on the site... there are dozens of posts about it ;)

Positive thoughts

hangingbasket
17-02-14, 18:46
I'd gladly pay £10 for your reassurance :)
Thanks, you have a lot of understanding of anxiety... I know many people value your opinion, myself included :)

Fishmanpa
17-02-14, 18:49
I'd gladly pay £10 for your reassurance :)
Thanks, you have a lot of understanding of anxiety... I know many people value your opinion, myself included :)

Anytime... I came to this site last August in an attempt to learn as I saw so many on the cancer boards that obviously were suffering. Glad to be able to help. And ironically, now with my daughter suffering, all your experiences have helped me help her so for that I'm grateful.

Positive thoughts

hangingbasket
17-02-14, 19:18
It must be very frustrating for you to read all our nonsense when you've lived through something very real that so many of us fear. I admire your patience with helping others who are worried. You are one of the only rational voices on this forum.

barrym
17-02-14, 22:50
Don't count out something as simple as a bad dream, we don't remember every dream, very few in fact but we dream continuously when asleep. If you have drifted off to sleep anxious your sub conscious will be thinking along the same, just as we have all dreamt at some point about something we have been thinking off before falling asleep or happened that day. I think we have all woke up sometime after a bad dream, soaked in sweat so it could be something as simple as a bad dream you don't remember having.

BarryM