PDA

View Full Version : Can't live like this anymore

erikac
17-02-14, 15:54
Hi. I stumbled across this searching the web for CBT solutions and trying to find out if I am the only one who has no control over their panic disorder. I am finding I am not alone. I truly cannot live my life like this anymore. I used to get through it with medication (zoloft and xanax), but finding that isn't even working anymore. I recently also gave birth to my 4 month old now son. I never had pp depression. Once I returned to work three months later, I noticed my anxiety took a turn for the worst. I stopped having attacks towards the end of my pregnancy and was even able to go shopping while on maternity leave by myself. Now I find myself troubled and deathly afraid to even run to get gas. I have to drop my son off at daycare and sometimes even pick him up if my husband works late. I am embarrassed when I show up to pick my son up shaking like a leaf. My daycare provider probably thinks I am nuts. I set myself up for panic. I know my triggers. I am afraid of fainting mostly. I also have hypochondria. I have had situations where I have fainted, and sometimes have had seizures immediately after. My doctors have ruled out all seizures and chest pain due to my anxiety. I am always thinking negatively about myself and feel I am not on control of myself or my feelings. The biggest trigger for me is thinking I may faint/or even die in public (and sometimes at home). My family history also shows great mental illness. I have been suffering with this for close to ten years. I called a therapist recommended by a friend today to setup an appointment. I am hoping to learn more about disengaging my triggers and realizing that I am perfectly healthy, I won't faint in public, and people will be there to support me. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to cope with and I come from a very abusive childhood environment. If there are things that help you recover from that awful feeling while in public, the urge to faint, or weakness in the body, please share your success. I am desperate and looking for any solutions. I can't rely on medication to get me through my life, especially when it hasn't been working anymore.

Abi-Skinner
17-02-14, 16:33
Hi Erika,

Sounds like your having a bit of a rough time :( also sounds like you would really benefit from CBT, unfortunately because your not in the uk I don't know how you go about getting that, hopefully your therapist will be able to assist.

In the meantime, here's a name of a website for a hypno therapist here in Scotland, he has various apps you can buy and download on to your phone/mp3 player/computer. I've been using his don't panic app, I've also used various other apps of his over the years and found them all very helpful!

withandrewjohnson.com

Hope this helps a little.

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Sorry, meant to say, one of the main things you will learn from CBT, is to "break the cycle" chances are at the moment you are pre-empting your panic attacks, if you keep thinking and telling yourself your going to panic, you will, because your essentially telling yourself to panic, same applies if you visualise yourself panicking in a situation, you will. Try counteracting your negative thoughts, question them, and respond with positive answers, also change the negative visions, instead of picturing yourself panicking in situations, visualise yourself positively in situations.

WhyWhyWhy
17-02-14, 16:35
You're not on your own here

Have a read through the forums. Something that's recommended on here a lot is this

http://nothingworks.weebly.com

I'm reading this now. This has helped many people here recover and it's FREE!

xx

Superworrier
17-02-14, 17:59
Hi guys I am really not that good with computer so please bear with . I am so scared right now I don't know what advice to offer anyone because I am so scared myself I am so glad I found this site as I feel like at least I have common ground xx. I have had anxiety for many yrs but three weeks ago I just opulent get a deep breath it came from no where and I am still like it now it is constant . I have had X-rays breath tests bloods and my drs say it is anxiety xx please help me guys how can this be anxiety Sorry for putting this as a reply to cant live anymore but I am new to the forum and I guess this story was the closest to mine xx