View Full Version : Constantly worried I'm going to die

Mkw29
17-02-14, 16:39
Hey everyone

Just after a shoulder to cry on...I'm 32 and have been suffering from heart palpitations since I was 27. Medically I am fit and have been given a clean bill of health from several cardiologists. I have what they class as normal variants (innocent low grade murmur, benign ectopic beats and sometimes the odd run of fast irregular heartbeats) but every now and then I get a bad episode of palpitations and I convince myself that I am having a heart attack..

I lost my father last year to a sudden stroke at the age if 63..he was very much like me, very fit active and hardworking. I miss him dreadfully. Since then I convince myself that any pain/palpitation/random health issue is terminal and I am going to die suddenly like him from a stroke or heart attack...if he was here now he'd tell me if it was my time it's my time and there's nothing I can do about it and to stop being silly but I can't.

I feel like doctors don't understand and they could easily miss an underlying health problem..

My health worries have got worse since I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy 3 months ago and had a rough labour, with that I had to have an emergency blood transfusion and this left my shaken up and anaemic..does anyone have any similar feelings, what helps you got over them.:)

HoneyLove
17-02-14, 16:43
Welcome to the boards :)

I'm sorry to hear that you've been suffering so long with health anxiety, it's a horrible problem to have.

Have you ever gotten any help with it, talked to your GP or tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)?

Mkw29
19-02-14, 23:22
Thank you for replying :)

No I've never had any therapy, I've pretty much dealt with it on my own...not sure what cbt involves so I'm going to do some research

X