PDA

View Full Version : Morning anxiety

cubist
18-02-14, 12:41
This is a killer for me. If you read my other threads you will note that my marriage has broken down.

By the evening, I manage to get myself in a semi-relaxed state (relaxed enough to stay asleep anyway) however around 07:30 I begin to stir through anxiety, I wake up and my heart is racing and pounding and I feel sick.

Does anyone else experience this? How the hell am I supposed to get a good night's sleep? :weep:

MrAndy
18-02-14, 12:52
most people on here experience it or used to,the only way to beat it is get up straight away and get busy with your day,it will eventually fade away over time
I had it very bad and now its nearly gone

meche
18-02-14, 13:25
I used to get this when my anxiety was at it's highest. I would wake every morning and it felt like my problems were hitting me for the very first time.... again and again! It was really hard to comprehend at times and only made my anxiety worse. I used to dread going to bed because I knew what was coming! There isn't an easy solution except just to carry on as best you can. There will come a time when your mind and body will be so shattered that a good nights sleep will come naturally. I'm sorry to hear about the break-up of your marriage. You will survive! Big hugs. xx

mummyanxious
18-02-14, 17:01
Yep this is me. I've been through a lot with my marriage breakdown. Peaks and troughs and at the moment at a bad point. I'm the same, gets to about seven am and my mind flicks on like a light switch. Exhausted! I finally calm down some time in late afternoon. I'm afraid I don't have the answer but just wanted to say you're not alone.

cubist
18-02-14, 23:08
I'm going to try some of the diffusion techniques I got from therapy yesterday.

Hopefully this should help a bit :wacko:

kchan
19-02-14, 02:54
Are you currently taking anything for your anxiety? I'm currently prescribed propranolol and i always take one first thing in the morning when i wake up because i get exactly the same thing. Just the act of doing something starts to calm me and then the propranolol does the rest.

cubist
19-02-14, 20:13
No Kchan, I don't take anything, I'm thinking of going to the docs and getting propranolol though. I read it gives you sleep issues though? is this right?

kchan
19-02-14, 23:51
I haven't had any issues with the propranolol myself. If you're sensitive to it then it may make you a little drowsy but you could lower the dosage if that occurs, currently I take 40mg twice a day. I'd recommend giving propranolol a try if you can, it really has helped me :)

cubist
21-02-14, 00:17
I'll see what the doc says but I'd like to try it. Cheers for the advices once again ;)

Freda
21-02-14, 10:17
I get this too. I hate it. Mine normally starts at about 5 - 5.30, when I don't need to get up until 6.30. I've tried to take propranolol when I wake, so it starts to work before the alarm goes off. I'm undecided whether it actually helps or not. I just feel at a complete loss at the moment, and just want it all to stop! I can't help thinking that I can't carry on with these feelings of anxiety and depression much longer.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 ----------

Cubist, do you mind me asking what the diffusion techniques are?

cubist
21-02-14, 13:11
Hi Freda, the diffusion techniques came from here:

http://getselfhelp.co.uk/imagery.htm

I need to start putting them into practice and I guess the main thing is believing they will work.

Good luck

mummyanxious
28-02-14, 07:10
Anyone have any more tips for this as mine is dreadful at the moment. As soon as I wake up I can feel my body buzzing and pumped through and I feel like I need to scream or shake or something. It feels like one long panic party going on in my body till I calm down usually after lunch :(

trish1955
28-02-14, 10:05
This is a killer for me. If you read my other threads you will note that my marriage has broken down.

By the evening, I manage to get myself in a semi-relaxed state (relaxed enough to stay asleep anyway) however around 07:30 I begin to stir through anxiety, I wake up and my heart is racing and pounding and I feel sick.

Does anyone else experience this? How the hell am I supposed to get a good night's sleep? :weep:
I am feeling that right now my son and husband are going fishing and they are my safety I always feel semi relaxed we my hubby or son home my daughter coming over to sit with me as I am not only agoraphobic I can't stay home alone either call this living I get worse instead if better u think I could cop after forty yrs of anxiety and panic
Hell no take care x

greggs92
28-02-14, 10:25

it's best to find something which you really love doing, at the end of the day anxiety is a creation from the human mind, so try out new positive, creative things and eventually your brain will have to bury the anxiety and replace it with new positive neural pathways - that's one of the laws of the universe and how the brain works. The brain doesn't care what you feed it, positive or negative, it must return to us. as you sow so you reap :)

Dexterjames
28-02-14, 12:16

EVERY DAY for months prevents me from going to work now :weep:

bchrismar
01-03-14, 15:19
most people on here experience it or used to,the only way to beat it is get up straight away and get busy with your day,it will eventually fade away over time
I had it very bad and now its nearly gone

Hi Mr. Andy,

I've long suffered with morning anxiety and panic. Like you I just get on with my day. But my condition is stubborn. Can you explain in short how you overcame this morning thing and saw improvement? How did you recover?

MrAndy
01-03-14, 21:24
Hi Mr. Andy,

I've long suffered with morning anxiety and panic. Like you I just get on with my day. But my condition is stubborn. Can you explain in short how you overcame this morning thing and saw improvement? How did you recover?
I took medication and put it to the back of my mind ,never gave up hope ,always remained positive and never ever hid away in bed.It was tough but worked,you have to be prepared to fight for recovery
Good luck

bchrismar
01-03-14, 21:53
I took medication and put it to the back of my mind ,never gave up hope ,always remained positive and never ever hid away in bed.It was tough but worked,you have to be prepared to fight for recovery
Good luck

Wow. That's depressing because I can't take meds. It makes me worse.

Are you still on meds?

I generally stay off these forums because they all seem meds-centric.
But I'm hoping to find stories of people who overcame morning anxiety and came across this thread.

Do you think you could have recovered without them?

MrAndy
01-03-14, 22:00
Wow. That's depressing because I can't take meds. It makes me worse.

Are you still on meds?

I generally stay off these forums because they all seem meds-centric.
But I'm hoping to find stories of people who overcame morning anxiety and came across this thread.

Do you think you could have recovered without them?probably but it would take longer,meds also have their drawbacks .When they work they do give you some breathing space

bchrismar
01-03-14, 22:06
Thanks Andy. So would you say reintegration with life was your biggest tool in recovery, in short?

MrAndy
01-03-14, 22:12
Thanks Andy. So would you say reintegration with life was your biggest tool in recovery, in short?
I think being positive and not looking for a quick fix helped me the most

bchrismar
01-03-14, 22:54
Well it's too late for a quick fix for me. :D

Agree on positivity. Not forced but keeping the right outlook is key.

Thanks for your input Andy.

Hey last question and I know we are all very different. But how long did it take you?
I've been working recovery for a couple years. Made definite improvement but the morning "automate" panic is still my bugaboo. Life has improved but I feel like that is my last major hurdle.

MrAndy
02-03-14, 09:08
Well it's too late for a quick fix for me. :D

Agree on positivity. Not forced but keeping the right outlook is key.

Thanks for your input Andy.

Hey last question and I know we are all very different. But how long did it take you?
I've been working recovery for a couple years. Made definite improvement but the morning "automate" panic is still my bugaboo. Life has improved but I feel like that is my last major hurdle.
I wouldn't say I'm fully recovered but definitely getting there,a year ago I was in a psych ward so just over a year to get where I am now :)
Good luck

Spondoolicks
05-03-14, 20:27
I dread mornings now. The racing heart and shakes knock my confidence so much. Why does it have to be there every morning?