PDA

View Full Version : Back On the Bottle Worried.

Richard1960
18-02-14, 13:18
Hi,have not posted on here for a while,last year the place i work had a re-organisation and we lost a fair amount of money.

I have fallen into the trap of going back on the alcohol and not in a small way i have been drinking a litre of Bacardi a day to help me feel better,i have just come around to feeling horrified at the amount and have now stopped.

Its the feeling better for a while but obviously once you come around the worries are still there, will be trying to fight this as i did before successfully ,has anybody else had trouble with booze like this.?

At the moment i am seating it out but determined not to go backwards.!

I wonder it made me think i was becoming a functioning alcoholic.:ohmy::homy:

Looking at the bottles on the side makes me feel ashamed ,Oh if addictions were that east to beat! At the moment i have cleared all booze out of my place in the bin.!

Richard.

SarahH
18-02-14, 13:53
A VERY close friend of mine is an alcoholic (7 yrs dry). She suffered from terrible anxiety. She belongs to AA...it saved her life!

Sarah

Richard1960
18-02-14, 14:04
A VERY close friend of mine is an alcoholic (7 yrs dry). She suffered from terrible anxiety. She belongs to AA...it saved her life!

Sarah

Thanks SarahH i am going to go to a local place called ADAS( alcohol drugs,advisory service) if i cannot beat it on my own as i did before.

AA is very good but they meet where i work although other groups are around.

Right now i am not going to buy another bottle of can of anything i feel my determination may be my best chance.

I am also on Citalopram for depression.

Thanks Richard.:)

SarahH
18-02-14, 14:48
I have heard that ADAS is also good. The groups are all different to suits different people.

AA believes in complete abstinence Whereas ADAS is more about "control" of drinking.

You probably know this already but alcohol is both a "depressant" and a "stimulant" (anxiety):blush:

Good luck :)

Richard1960
18-02-14, 15:03
I have heard that ADAS is also good. The groups are all different to suits different people.

AA believes in complete abstinence Whereas ADAS is more about "control" of drinking.

You probably know this already but alcohol is both a "depressant" and a "stimulant" (anxiety):blush:

Good luck :)

Thanks very much ADAS was very good with one to one counselling last time i have emailed my former advisor this afternoon for a chat.

Alcohol is a depressant but does make you feel good for a short while,i look at this as a relapse which ADAS said could happen,particularly after my reorganisation at word which depressed me that has happened recently.

Perhaps complete abstinence is the answer all i now at the moment is if going into the future i am going to HAVE to keep spirits well away,and just drink lighter stuff like a couple of pints,whilst not keeping any in my flat at all.

And only buying 2 cans no 4 can business.! as its too easy to drink the lot. :blush:

Thanks for your good wishes.

Kind regards.

Richard.

SarahH
18-02-14, 15:22
Your welcome Richard..we are all here to help each other.....NMP is a GREAT site with no "Trolls" spoiling it:)

Emphyrio
18-02-14, 15:24
Alcohol and anxiety are a bad combination. You don't even have to be drinking masses of booze either, apparently. In the past I was having around 3-4 pints a night most days of the week (9-10 units) and I thought it was generally fine to drink this much given that it wasn't having any real physical effects. I gained a bit of weight but woke up each morning without a hangover or anything so assumed everything was ok. However, my anxiety became steadily worse over the years which I attribute to the alcohol.

To quote wikipedia:

In one study in 1988–90, illness in approximately half of patients attending mental health services at British hospital psychiatric clinic, for conditions including anxiety disorders such as panic disorder or social phobia, was determined to be the result of alcohol or benzodiazepine dependence. In these patients, anxiety symptoms, while worsening initially during the withdrawal phase, disappeared with abstinence from benzodiazepines or alcohol. Sometimes anxiety pre-existed alcohol or benzodiazepine dependence, but the dependence was acting to keep the anxiety disorders going and often progressively making them worse. Recovery from benzodiazepines tends to take a lot longer than recovery from alcohol, but people can regain their previous good health.

These claims all link to scientific studies.

SarahH
18-02-14, 15:33
Alcohol and anxiety are a bad combination. You don't even have to be drinking masses of booze either, apparently. In the past I was having around 3-4 pints a night most days of the week (9-10 units) and I thought it was generally fine to drink this much given that it wasn't having any real physical effects. I gained a bit of weight but woke up each morning without a hangover or anything so assumed everything was ok. However, my anxiety became steadily worse over the years which I attribute to the alcohol.

To quote wikipedia:

These claims all link to scientific studies.

Totally agree!!

I get anxiety the day after TWO glasses of wine!!!!

Also, if you are drinking alot then the Cit wont work as well as it needs to.

Sarah

mikewales
18-02-14, 17:55
As Sarah mentioned, alcohol will stop the Cit working properly, so all the time you are drinking a lot regularly, then it is probably doing nothing to help you.

Phuzella
18-02-14, 18:05
Do whatever it takes. People I loved were addicted to alcohol, and let's just say it didn't end well. Do it for yourself and anyone in your life that matters to you. :)

Richard1960
18-02-14, 18:24
Hi Thanks for all your messages.:) Very Kind.

I have contacted ADAS and they are going to get my original counsellor to give me a call hopefully tomorrow or Thursday.

Am extremely determined to cut any spirits out (And have now done so}..

Thanks for the messages regarding the cit i have been on it now for a while and i know alcohol impairs its effectiveness..

I have beat it once and will do so again.

Kind Regards to all.

Richard.

Tessar
23-02-14, 21:27
Perhaps complete abstinence is the answer all i now at the moment is if going into the future i am going to HAVE to keep spirits well away,and just drink lighter stuff like a couple of pints,whilst not keeping any in my flat at all.
And only buying 2 cans no 4 can business.! as its too easy to drink the lot. :blush:

Believe me Richard....... Ultimately "complete abstinence" is the ONLY answer.
That might sound harsh, but to beat alcohol you simply have to give it up......

I am very glad indeed u r seeking professional help because i have seen first hand what alcohol does to a person. It wrecks them. It wrecks lives and it wrecks families.

Alcoholism is a disease. But it is one you can recover from. You know that already. The very fact you know you have a problem and that u r taking steps to recover from it is very good indeed. It is a credit to you to get this far.

Be strong Richard because you will need every ounce of strength to beat this. But don't forget you have friends here and a huge network of support. I will try to help u if I can.

On a more positive note, I know people as well who have beaten alcohol. It doesn't always win. It does not destroy everyone who crosses it's path. You can beat it too Richard.

Richard1960
23-02-14, 21:47
Hi Thanks for your kind words Tessar ,my councillor did ring me up and had a good chat with me, and yes your are right i believe complete abstinence is the only answer in my case, thrown away any alcohol i had left and now do not even feel like a drink,must of been my own bodies natural defences telling me that.

Yes alcohol does destroy and in my case its given me a few bad moments.

I think my recent blip was due to stress which of course the alcohol did not help.

Thanks for offering to help me really appreciate that.:)

Also my counsellor told me not to beat myself up and move on and offered me an appointment should i need one, i do have strong willpower albeit i went backwards for a while.! But i am now completely off the stuff and do not even feel like any and my Cit has now really started working again,which is a great help.

Thanks your post has really boosted my confidence.

Richard.

Tessar
23-02-14, 22:00
That's really good to hear Richard. Your counsellor's right about not beating yourself up. Moving on sounds good too. I can't begin to imagine what it's like to need to resist something. When It comes to foods I know do me no good at all.... Well I indulge. If someone said to me "never again or such and such will happen" I don't know if I could be big enough to resist. So u r doing well. If you do need to chat I am around on and off. Night :-)

Richard1960
23-02-14, 22:32
Thanks much appreciated Tessar.:)

Richard.

blueangel
24-02-14, 11:06
Very much agree with the advice you've had from Tessar. My father-in-law is an alcoholic - he's been sober for over a year now and accepts that he can never touch alcohol again as it's impossible to have "just one" because of the effects of addiction.

Just carry on taking it a day at a time, and stick with the counsellor. Good luck.

BobbyDog
24-02-14, 19:10
I am so sorry to hear your news Richard, you are a tough cookie and can beat this. If you fancy a chat send me a message and I will get back to you, long time no hear..........
sarah.x

Chester
25-02-14, 14:46
I'm sort of in the same boat.

I drink a bottle of wine a night, normally a good red. The financial cost let alone the emotional cost is probably far far too high.

I don't think I'm an alcoholic, I never drink until late evening and I've never turned up to work, function or anything drunk. Not made a fool of myself but then I thought....jesus, maybe I am a functioning alcoholic

I enjoy a drink, like many do, the taste of a fine red with a good book or infront of the TV at the end of a day is something that I enjoy but maybe I need help too

gypcyg
25-02-14, 15:12
Well done Richard for beating it again - It was a blip but you took control again and you are beating the addiction again. That really does deserve a huge pat on the back, it's a huge thing and you should be proud of yourself - don't beat yourself up that you fell off the wagon because it might happen again and you need to know that if it does then you can beat it again.

Have you wrote down what makes you worried and depressed? When you write it down you can see the problems clearly and you can focus on overcoming them or simply letting them go. You need direction in your life and you need to be focused, I hope your family support you and I wish you the best of luck because, as others have said, if you don't beat this then severe health problems or worse lie in store.

Tessar
25-02-14, 19:57
I'm sort of in the same boat.
I drink a bottle of wine a night, normally a good red. The financial cost let alone the emotional cost is probably far far too high.

Chester, forget the financial implications..... U cannot drink this much & not damage your body eventually. It's good that you have things under control in terms if living life in an organised fashion but I'd certainly think seriously about cutting down gradually. Otherwise one day u mite b in that unfortunate situation that u r dependent.

Chester
26-02-14, 11:43
Chester, forget the financial implications..... U cannot drink this much & not damage your body eventually. It's good that you have things under control in terms if living life in an organised fashion but I'd certainly think seriously about cutting down gradually. Otherwise one day u mite b in that unfortunate situation that u r dependent.

It's become a habit, I'm wary of going to the doctors as I think its overindulgence as opposed to dependence but maybe I am wrong

Richard1960
27-02-14, 09:55
I am so sorry to hear your news Richard, you are a tough cookie and can beat this. If you fancy a chat send me a message and I will get back to you, long time no hear..........
sarah.x

Hi BobbyDog thanks for that i have had no booze now for 5 days and am not even feeling like one,hopefully i am fully through that phase, yes i am determined to beat it feeling much better already , i doubt paradoxically i would have done it had it not of been for bad news at work i.e. quite a big pay reduction due to restructure.

Have not been around a while as i have taken on Union activities at work also to make life interesting , but hopefully i will be back on here for a while.

How are you keeping these days i see you are organising a get together in Leeds.

So i trust you are okay. ?

Thanks.

Richard.:)

Tessar
01-03-14, 21:06
You know, Richard..... This is great progress. I am really glad u can feel a difference. Really good too that you are also involved in new activities to make life more interesting. That is one of the most important ways anyone can help themselves. As u know, there will be ups and downs to come as that's life. But I really do feel u r equipped to beat this because your attitude is good.

BobbyDog
02-03-14, 18:43
Thanks Richard, things are pretty good on my side, I still have the anxiety, but I am taking great leaps forward. Well done for quitting the booze, I know it's a hard one to beat, but life goes on............. There are those who can reduce the amount of alcohol they consume, and those who have to totally abstain, I am the latter unfortunately.

How are you doing with the broads?:D

The Leeds meet is still going strong, we support each other very well, and the numbers are growing slowly, but it is not quantity it's quality, and we have lots of that.

Richard1960
05-03-14, 13:54
Thanks Richard, things are pretty good on my side, I still have the anxiety, but I am taking great leaps forward. Well done for quitting the booze, I know it's a hard one to beat, but life goes on............. There are those who can reduce the amount of alcohol they consume, and those who have to totally abstain, I am the latter unfortunately.

How are you doing with the broads?:D

The Leeds meet is still going strong, we support each other very well, and the numbers are growing slowly, but it is not quantity it's quality, and we have lots of that.

Hi BobbyDog thanks ,glad things are going well for you i will certainly abstain for a while and think i may have to quit altogether unless i can be really strict with myself,Now my hiccup is over i feel really great,it is a hard one to beat but the alternative is far worse.

I am off to Lowestoft tomorrow to see Roy Chubby Brown but only for one night staying at Oulton Broad just a couple of miles from the theatre.

But will be going on the broads Easter time 5 april:D for a week chilling out.:)

Good to hear the leeds meets are going well its a pretty large area so lots of people around.

I have taken on responsibilities to keep me busy also like the union stewards job which i enjoy.

Hope you are enjoying some sunshine like we are getting down here.

Richard.

robinsky
05-03-14, 20:01
Hi,have not posted on here for a while,last year the place i work had a re-organisation and we lost a fair amount of money.

I have fallen into the trap of going back on the alcohol and not in a small way i have been drinking a litre of Bacardi a day to help me feel better,i have just come around to feeling horrified at the amount and have now stopped.

Its the feeling better for a while but obviously once you come around the worries are still there, will be trying to fight this as i did before successfully ,has anybody else had trouble with booze like this.?

At the moment i am seating it out but determined not to go backwards.!

I wonder it made me think i was becoming a functioning alcoholic.:ohmy::homy:

Looking at the bottles on the side makes me feel ashamed ,Oh if addictions were that east to beat! At the moment i have cleared all booze out of my place in the bin.!

Richard.

I think you're making good progress to try and put alcohol out of your life tbh.

Richard1960
10-03-14, 09:55
I think you're making good progress to try and put alcohol out of your life tbh.

Thanks to all those that sent supportive messages.

I have not had a drink in a couple of weeks my mindset is now i cannot touch it at all, and my willpower is such i did not give in at an event i went to last week,or when my mates invited me down the pub for a pint (one of them is aware of the problems and did not badger me).

I have now put booze out of my life altogether through sheer willpower,and feel much happier now for it.:)

Richard.

HalfJack
10-03-14, 10:05
stay strong dude x

Tessar
10-03-14, 19:41
Thanks to all those that sent supportive messages.

I have not had a drink in a couple of weeks my mindset is now i cannot touch it at all, and my willpower is such i did not give in at an event i went to last week,or when my mates invited me down the pub for a pint (one of them is aware of the problems and did not badger me).

I have now put booze out of my life altogether through sheer willpower,and feel much happier now for it.:)

Richard.

Such good progress Richard. Really great to hear you sound decisive & determined, I admire your resolve and yes you definitely stick at it.