PDA

View Full Version : Post traumatic stress disorder?

Charlie38
18-02-14, 15:45
The majority of my problems - panic attacks, social phobia, shame, etc stem from PSTD and I wondered if there was anyone else here that has the same?

I tried to find a PTSD sub-forum but there isn't one. I just wonder if it may be helpful for people to have one as a lot of panic and anxiety can be brought on by PTSD.

Charlie x

SarahH
18-02-14, 16:25
Charlie,

Yes I have PTSD...diagnosed in 2001. I am a retired Police Officer and my job triggered PTSD.
My "story" can be found on the post "Pregabalin...at last"............basically...Yes my anxiety/depression is about my PTSD....................at's a pain in the a**e!

MrAndy
18-02-14, 17:04
I also have PTSD ,I'm slowly getting better

TooMuchToLiveFor
18-02-14, 17:26
Me too.

nicola1980
18-02-14, 17:34
Hi i was recently diagnosed with PTSD and am awaiting intense trauma therapy to help x x

Annie0904
18-02-14, 18:26
I have PTSD and Intense Psychotherapy has helped me a lot.

SarahH
18-02-14, 18:48
So thats a few of us then:D

MrAndy
19-02-14, 09:19
we should all wear badges and form a club :)

TooMuchToLiveFor
19-02-14, 13:33
I'll join. :)

Freaked
19-02-14, 17:27
I'm fairly certain I do (I'm actually a senior in psychology). I have a condition called POTS and i had a number of very scary episodes where I really thought I might die any second. That's sort of traumatised me and I get flashbacks to them often when I get symptomatic. Memories of those events have brought me to dark places at times, and I've come to realise they're the root of much of my panic. I'm hopefully seeing a psychologist to discuss everything tomorrow.

It really is a horrible feeling; I hope everyone here finds relief.

SarahH
19-02-14, 19:36
You could ask about EMDR.......I have had it twice and it has been the best treatment I have had in 13 yrs.

Sarah

Charlie38
20-02-14, 12:21
Wow, I wasn't expecting so many responses... I am sorry that you are all suffering this too, there are so many aspects to it, it's overwhelming. It never goes does it? Continuous flashbacks/memories that we cannot control or stop.

I have found that the day times are more tolerable as I am on Concerta and Clonazepam that calms the head but it masks a torment that is forever there. And it's such a fake feeling that in itself is disturbing as these drugs are not me and therefore no one 'professional' sees.

Does anyone's PTSD cause overwhelming shame?

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

Charlie,

Yes I have PTSD...diagnosed in 2001. I am a retired Police Officer and my job triggered PTSD.
My "story" can be found on the post "Pregabalin...at last"............basically...Yes my anxiety/depression is about my PTSD....................at's a pain in the a**e!

Sorry, I'm new to this site...how do I find your story?

SarahH
20-02-14, 14:06
go to the "search" tab at the top of the page then type in the posts by section "SarahH" and it should come up.

SarahH

WhyWhyWhy
20-02-14, 14:07
Wow, I wasn't expecting so many responses... I am sorry that you are all suffering this too, there are so many aspects to it, it's overwhelming. It never goes does it? Continuous flashbacks/memories that we cannot control or stop.

I have found that the day times are more tolerable as I am on Concerta and Clonazepam that calms the head but it masks a torment that is forever there. And it's such a fake feeling that in itself is disturbing as these drugs are not me and therefore no one 'professional' sees.

Does anyone's PTSD cause overwhelming shame?

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

Sorry, I'm new to this site...how do I find your story?

I had a traumatic experience giving birth. Thought I was going to lose my baby. I'm pretty sure my anxiety heightened it but I then went on to relive the birth over and over. It's nearly 9 years on and even just typing about it now is giving me nerves and making me tearful. I've never been diagnosed but could sure do with a way of coping seeing as I've never opened up to anyone about it. :bighug1:

SarahH
20-02-14, 14:10
Anyone with PTSD please have a look at EMDR treatment...............I have had it twice and it has been fantastic helping me deal with traumas in my life....and I got on the NHS!

Sarah

MrAndy
20-02-14, 14:43
so when we having our first comittee meeting ? :) PTSD takes along time to overcome but it is possible ,ive made big steps since i was 1st diagnosed,stay strong everyone

nicola1980
20-02-14, 15:02
I had a traumatic experience giving birth. Thought I was going to lose my baby. I'm pretty sure my anxiety heightened it but I then went on to relive the birth over and over. It's nearly 9 years on and even just typing about it now is giving me nerves and making me tearful. I've never been diagnosed but could sure do with a way of coping seeing as I've never opened up to anyone about it. :bighug1:

I also had a very traumatic birth with my son 13 years ago which resulted in him being very poorly in special care and i still relive it over and over again, i can't look at his baby photos which were took in the hospital without having flashbacks x x

MrAndy
20-02-14, 15:12
I also had a very traumatic birth with my son 13 years ago which resulted in him being very poorly in special care and i still relive it over and over again, i can't look at his baby photos which were took in the hospital without having flashbacks x x
mine is from the birth of my child she nearly died twice from NEC and was seriously ill for 18 months

TooMuchToLiveFor
20-02-14, 18:56
Wow- mine is ALSO related to my two births--- I was very close to dying with my first and he was premature, and my second was a very high risk pregnancy with months of hospital bed rest and she was also premature. (During the hospital bed rest my mom was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer and my dad had a massive heart attack. Doozie of a summer.)

So, shall we nominate Mr.Andy as the president of our club? All in favor……
(I'll bring the snacks.)

Annie0904
20-02-14, 19:47
Hard to say what triggered mine. I guess it goes way back to seeing a fatal car accident when I was 17 (now 56)and waiting with the injured occupants until the ambulance arrived. I have since been first on the scene of another 3 car crashes! I have experienced quite a lot of other traumatic events in my life and with each event the effect on me got worse until I was finally diagnosed last year.

nicola1980
20-02-14, 21:18
Mine doesn't just stem from my sons birth tho obviously it has an impact on it, i was in a very abusive relationship mentally and physically and with others factors i guess its just all caught up with me x x

WhyWhyWhy
21-02-14, 00:51
Ahhh a few birth stories, very distressing times, times I can't block out completely as it was the birth of my precious boy yet times that are so full of emotion it gets to me thinking about it. The first night in that hospital I drew the curtain around me and just sat and cried. I was 21, alone and frightened and felt responsible for anything and everything that had gone wrong, of course things were out of my control. I felt traumatised and uncared for and also felt elated that I had a beautiful baby. So confusing looking back, but I do feel uneasy thinking back to that time. I can almost feel it now how bad I felt, I can't forget it. Thanks for sharing your stories too. I always feel a bit of a fraud claiming PTSD (I don't even have it, I was never diagnosed with it) for something that's natural as giving birth when some/most people sail through xxx

nicola1980
21-02-14, 01:58
I was also just 20 when i gave birth and on the ward was the very first time i had a full blown panic attack, i was so scared as i couldn't breath and the midwifes really couldn't care less, the trauma of the birth is still fresh in my mind and i can still smell the smell of the neo natal unit where my son was for 10 days, i adore my son to bits and have always been over protection and i think that stems from my birth experience and the fact i nearly lost him :( times a healer i know but i still remember that day so clearly x x

MrAndy
21-02-14, 15:52
I am having counselling for PTSD and been told to not look back but concentrate on the future.It does help to talk about past traumas though and get it off your chest

Mountainclimber
21-02-14, 16:48
As a paramedic, i suffered from PTSD, recovered now, but i am always on the look out for the early warning signs that it coming back. :doh:

Charlie38
01-03-14, 04:11
Sarah, you mentioned EMDR, I know it's something to do with eye movement? But could you explain how it works, please?

I have had CAT therapy, CBT and hypnotherapy but none worked, not for the PTSD anyway. I have been offered more therapy but I refused as I discharged myself from my mental health team and want nothing from them (they really were inappropriate last year) but they 'refused' to discharge me, I see my Psych as I trust him but don't think I could ask for EMDR as I just wouldn't have the courage to ask. Does it cost a fortune? I really am not sure how to carry on like this :'(

Thank you x

Fishmanpa
01-03-14, 10:43
Interesting thread.

Many here know I don't suffer with anxiety but I have experienced anxiety related symptoms so I have a taste of what some deal with constantly. Not pleasant to say the least.

I wonder if some of the depression I suffered after cancer treatment was due to PTSD. Being diagnosed with cancer is shocking enough but then comes the war of treatment. You go in thinking you know what to expect but regardless, you're blindsided many times. While I survived treatment, I didn't come away without some severe wounds. Many of which are permanent and many continue to affect me to this day and may or may not get better. The "scanxiety" I suffer from has worsened with each follow-up and this last time was rather severe as it caused chest pain disturbing enough to send me to the ER. Rationally I knew it was anxiety related but with my history of heart issues it's better to be safe than sorry. The doctors agreed, admitted me and ran a full cardiac workup. Fortunately it was clean but it reinforced my belief that I need to do something to treat and overcome the stress/"scanxiety" I experience at follow up time. I'll be discussing this with my cardiologist and GP next week at my followup appointments.

Positive thoughts

SarahH
01-03-14, 15:16
It's difficult to explain EMDR on a "post" so I would suggest having a search on the web.
I have had two lots of EMDR for PTSD in the last 4 years and it has brilliantly dealt with my traumas. If you look up the definition of PTSD (DSM ref) it can be any major event in your life that has been a near death experience.... that's the simplified version.
In the UK EMDR is free!

Fishmanga....with all you have been through I would say that it is very possible you have some level of PTSD.....:unsure:

Sarah

sunshinevet
25-03-14, 20:10
I myself was diagnosed with PTSD a couple of years back due to Military Combat in Afghanistan. It is still uncontrolled and have tried many different medications along with hypnotherapy and counceling. Was wondering if anyone else experiences the side effects of these medications with me. I have weight gain that I cannot stop. I go to the gym daily, eat healthy yet my weight will not come off, only gain. I have explained to my doctor that the medication may be the issue and they change it up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this with citalopram hydrobromide?

Thanks. :blush: