PDA

View Full Version : Hip, Back, Groin Pain... Real or imagined?

bulan
19-02-14, 10:41
Hi there,

Let me first say, I have fibromyalgia, which is a chronic pain condition. BUT people with fibro have to be attuned to whether their pain feels 'normal' or if it could be caused by something else...

So here's my mystery.

1) Dec. 28 (2013) sudden pain erupts in:
- pelvis (across the front)
- lower back (just to the right of the spine)
- right hip
- right groin
- right upper leg

Tests are ordered (blood, urine, ultrasound)
- everything comes back negative, except the ultrasound which shows a simple cyst on the left ovary.
- doctor is not worried

2) Jan. 18 (2014) pain worsens in:
- right hip
- lower back (just to the right of the spine)
- both are made more painful by pressing on the areas

Doctor orders six weeks of physiotherapy.

Meanwhile...

3) Pain erupts under right arm; there is no discernible lump, but there is aching, stabbing pain, and it is much worse with applied pressure.

Several days later, underarm pain subsides.

4) Feb. 18, pain by lower spine has subsided, but erupts in:
- right hip: stabbing, aching, shooting pains; pain made worse with applied pressure--it burns when pressed.
- right groin
- right upper leg
- right side, above the hip
- lower back, above the hip

There is pain with and without movement. Weightbearing doesn't seem to have an impact.

5) Feb. 20 I visit my doctor to request follow-up tests, given physio hasn't solved the pain in my hip and groin.
- he had originally mentioned the option of an X-ray
- should I ask for a CT scan? Another ultrasound? An MRI?

Does anyone have insight on these symptoms?

My biggest fear is the big 'C', but I realize it could also be another ovarian cyst, symptoms of fibro, a hernia, or even just a result of sleeping on my right side too much...

Please share your insight or experience. Thank you! :blush:

blue moon
19-02-14, 12:19
Hi:D I have pain in lower back that travels down my leg and foot,have had tests nerve conduction î have sciatic nerve that is causing pain.I use heat pack and tens machine to get relief,also oestio arthritis due to aging,try and do light exercise helps walking is good.Try not to worry about,ît only makes pain worse.

Petra x

bulan
17-04-14, 02:40
Thanks for your reply, Blue Moon!

As it turns out, most of that pain was caused by my posture. I've spent quite a bit of time on the couch, since my son was born. The way I've leaned to one side, and swung my feet up to the other side, and the weight of my ever-growing boy weighing on my joints, all worked together to put stress on my lower back, right hip, and right groin areas.

Since changing my posture, all of that pain has disappeared.

And (surprise, surprise) no cancer! :blush:

kevina74
17-04-14, 05:27
Good to hear. I've had pain in my back, shoulder, hips, left knee. Twice in two months I had an pain behind my knee that seemed to be a mystery. It hurt so bad for a week that I could barley walk. The thing is I didn't do anything to injure it. I went to the doc, had bloods tests and all came back clear. They almost had me convinced the pain was all in my head and offered no real help. I had to take matters into my own hands and came to the realization that the problems were in my joints and discs. I'm guessing the cartilage is wearing a bit thin, either from age or too many martial arts type kicking. I don't know. You didn't mention your age. My problems began in my late 30's, I'm 39 now. I've found stretching and exercises help, along with fish oil and turmeric to keep down inflammation.

bulan
17-04-14, 06:50
Good to hear you've found something that helped you, kevina! I'm 36, and certainly not happy to be dealing with these sorts of pains at this age, but then again, it's so benign compared to more serious issues affecting other young people that I have nothing to complain about. I can only be grateful!

Like you, I've done exercises, and I've also gotten help from several physiotherapists. I also learned that not all physiotherapists have been created equal (as the saying goes). Some specialize in very specific issues, and I learned that 'pelvic floor physiotherapy' was best for me because of the region of my body that was affected by pain.

Thanks for the heads-up about fish oil and turmeric, by the way. I've heard about turmeric being an anti-inflammatory, but not about fish oil. How much do you take, and what kind do you take?

kevina74
17-04-14, 19:47
Hello again Bulban. I take Krill oil or Calamarine oil. I'm not sure it matters too much, as long as it has Omega-3 which is the thing that helps with inflammation. 1.5 grams per day is recommend for general health, but I hear to get the anti-inflammatory affects you need at least 2.5 grams. There's also other things that help like Bromelain, which is a pineapple extract. And joint supplements that contain Glucosamine and Chondroitin. I've been doing a lot pf my own research since doctors have been useless for me. Some books I would recommend are:

The Permanent Pain Cure by Ming Chew. His routine consists of hydrating, supplements, spinal & fascia stretching, and strengthening exercises. It's a bit time consuming but better than the alternative.

You mentioned pelvic floor physiotherapy, I came across a book awhile called called 'Headache in the Pelvis' by David Wise which also might benefit you.

And for a different spin on things Healing Back Pain:The Mind Body Connection by John E. Sarno. It's a psychological look at all these aches and pains we get. He postulates that the mind creates pain in order to distract us from dealing with our repressed emotions.

Hope that helps.