PDA

View Full Version : keeping this a secret

Lyrica
19-02-14, 11:26
after leaving my job because of my anxiety, I go really down and started having suicidal thoughts. (I'm not having these thoughts anymore) I went to see my doctor who gave me some tablets for my anxiety/depression and also and also a sleeping tablet. My doctor gave me a 2weel sick not because she felt I needed some time to rest and get myself together a bit. The thing is I've had to keep all this a secret from my family, partner and friends. They don't understand my anxiety they get frustrated and annoyed with it and they are all still disappointed that I left my job. I've got a job interview tomorrow, I didn't take the time to rest like my doctor said because I can't handle the way my loved ones look at me and what they think about me. I'm still feeling really fragile I almost had a meltdown before I saw my doctor. I'm just feeling really alone right now and it's hard to deal with all this and keep it a secret from everyone in my life

LunaLiuna
19-02-14, 11:32
Lyrica, would you keep another illness secret from your family? no, anxiety is no different, it can even be worse in some ways. Please tell at least someone, honestly breaking that feeling on loneliness and finding someone who can be there for you physically will be a massive help. After all anxiety is essentially feeling cut off from the normal way off things.

Tell someone Lyrica, like your telling us. They will be there for you :)

SarahH
19-02-14, 12:11
LunaLiuna is spot on with this....NEVER be ashamed of anxiety...it is an illness!

MrAndy
19-02-14, 12:13
keeping things locked up in your mind wont help you recover,you need to be open and honest about your condition.Talking openly to someone will help you enormously

phonoodle
19-02-14, 12:18
I feel alone too and I do not know why. I have all the support from everyone in my life but I still feel alone and worried about everything. I need help also. You're not alone but it sucks to know someone else feels exactly as I do. PM me if you want.

WhyWhyWhy
19-02-14, 12:37
I've kept mine a secret from everyone. I did tell hubby years ago and he told me not to be so silly, really told me off. Since then I've kept it all to myself

I feel an immense loneliness, I think you should try and talk to your family, if you can do this with support it will help you immensely and relieve the loneliness. I'd imagine you're feeling isolated at the moment and with the uncertainty of your work situation I think you need support.

You've got support here, but nothing beats it there by your side x

Lyrica
19-02-14, 18:25
hey guys thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. Telling my family and partner really isn't an option they are not sympathetic at all. The think I'm being silly and basically tell me to get over it. This is a battle I'm going to have to face alone. Thankfully I get some support on here and have a place where I can ask for advice and talk about my worries x

Humly
21-02-14, 09:28
I keep my anxiety a secret too. I sometimes talk about stuff with friends and family but I tend to gloss over it and give the impression that things are not too bad when in reality its quite the opposite. My hubby has quite lost patience with me so I dont tell him now and I dont want everybody to worry about me so I keep it all locked in. I know that I worry about some silly things at times and I'm embarassed about being this way. People who know me would never imagine the way I am inside. Thank goodness this website exists!

jcd_gad
21-02-14, 11:03
Hi,

I know what you mean, I was the same with my family. My mum suffers from depression and anxiety too.

I suffer the same, however my new medication is helping.

I've told my HR and the management team, my mother and girlfriend know but thats it.

I know where you're coming from though, my dad is a waste of time telling. He has no idea, though i'll probably end up telling him at some point.

Anyway... my point?? Well you're better off with some support near you, I couldn't have done it without my mum or girlfriend....

Anyway, take care.

James

anthrokid
22-02-14, 05:50
Lyrica, you don't have to face this alone. NMP is a fantastic network of people just like you, some of whom are still struggling with anxiety and other related problems, and others who have overcome them and just stick around to provide support. You'll find that there are a lot of people who frequent this site that are going through, or have been through, something similar. Use this place as a safe area to talk about your anxiety, the problems you are having, and to find comfort. From what I know, there is also a chat room where you can IM other members to just talk.