PDA

View Full Version : Stomach cancer fear

mrsmcfox
19-02-14, 14:58
Hi all,

I have just joined this forum hoping to get some help with my anxiety over having stomach cancer.

I have been suffering diarrhoea on and off for the last six weeks, and just lately nausea and mild stomach pains.

The doctor sent me for blood tests, the results of which I will get next week. She felt my stomach and bottom and said everything felt normal.

Rationally I know this could be caused by so many things, but my mind keeps going over and over it and coming back to the big scary conclusion that it is CANCER!

It is no coincidence I am sure that my boss, with whom I have a fairly close relationship, was diagnosed with terminal stomach cancer in December and has been going rapidly downhill ever since, unable to have any treatment due to complications and now only expected to live a few more weeks. He is 49 and has led a reasonably healthy lifestyle and has no family history of the disease so it has come as a bolt out of the blue.

I am only 38 and I know it is unlikely that I have the same thing, but I just can't stop the anxiety building and am now on the edge of panic.

I am sure the stress is not helping my symptoms either but I just can't help myself.

Jamesg33
19-02-14, 15:03
I personally think that because of the immediate connection with someone who is suffering with terminal stomach cancer, maybe what you're experiencing is some kind of sympathy pains/symptoms? Stress can cause diarrhea, stress can also cause an upset stomach and nausea, trust me i've experienced all of these through stress.

Obviously if you're worried, only the doctors results of your bloods will calm you, but those are all pretty common symptoms of hundreds of things, and probably for you, stress.