PDA

View Full Version : Scared of Sleeping & General Anaesthetic - not a great combo!

JoannaS
20-02-14, 15:15
For the last few months, I've felt scared of falling to sleep at night in case I don't wake up in the morning. For some reason, if I wake up in the night I don't get scared falling back to sleep as I think to myself that it's morning soon so I've already survived the majority of the night! But the thought of falling asleep and not waking up for 8 hours has really started to freak me out! I have a 3 month old baby and it's exhausting! I should be sleeping as much as I can but I take ages to drift off. I try thinking about other things as it distracts me but I can't go on like this. It's ridiculous!

I need to have a cyst removed too but doctor will only do it under GENERAL ANAESTHETIC! No way am I having that, I won't even contemplate it. I don't see why he can't just use a local anaesthetic. Surely local is cheaper for the NHS too so I don't understand why I have to be asleep. Any ideas? I can't really leave it as it's in a "delicate area" shall we say!

Lin71
20-02-14, 19:14
Hi Joanna

I've suffered with this too.

Eventually I convinced myself that we HAVE to sleep to live, and not sleeping makes us feel worse than ever. Have you tried any meditation before you sleep? There are some good apps you can play to help you relax and drift off.

You must be exhausted. Do you find you can sleep during the day, could you take naps while your baby's asleep? I always found I was much happier to doze on the sofa than sleep at night.

Sleeping is perfectly safe, it's how our bodies repair and rest, no harm will come to you, it's healthy :)

Can't help re the GA, have you discussed your fears with your Dr and asked whether there's a possibility of having local? I'm guessing there's a reason if he says its got to be general.

Havefaithx
20-02-14, 19:36
I had this fear for a long long time sleeping On the sofa at night helped for some reason and it didn't worry me to sleep in the day just at night, I conquered this fear after my heart was checked out and the dr basically saying to me I am more likely to get run over then dying in my sleep, and ur not afraid of crossing the road! I never thought of it that way. It is so so so rare Hun but I no what ur going through, I still think of it sometimes but have to try and focus my thoughts elsewhere

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Also just want to say I have had two operations and both times put to sleep as they was both emergencies the first one I was extremely poorly I was terrified but I was so Ill and I still woke up what I'm trying to say is although it scary u aren't 'poorly' as such it's a removal and that makes the risk rate hardly anything, u will wake up I can promise u that! Both times the drs where brilliant with me as I had panic attacks before going into theatre, they really do understand so make sure u tell them your worries x

Annie0904
20-02-14, 19:39
I had this fear with GA but after having it about 8 times now and always waking up from it. it doesn't worry me any more :) Lovely to wake up and have tea and toast made for you :)

JoannaS
21-02-14, 17:13
Lin71 - I haven't tried meditation before sleeping but my baby's Ewan the Dream Sheep which plays heartbeat sounds does help. Even though it's meant for the baby! Yes, I find I can nap easily during the day and don't even think twice about it but come night time, I get anxious. I don't think the doctor was really taking me seriously when I said I didn't want to be put to sleep. I think I was a bit shell-shocked so I didn't go into any detail about my anxiety - I just wanted to get out of there. I've looked up the stats (stupid I know) and I'm actually 12 times more likely to die in child birth than from a GA! Still not keen on it, though!

Havefaithx - Wow, when you think of it like that, it seems silly worrying doesn't it! I don't worry about anyone close to me having one, I know they'll be ok so it's frustrating I can't have the same laid back attitude for myself.

Annie0904 - 8 times! I admire you! Did you feel sick afterwards and once you were awake could you keep awake or did you drift off to sleep again?

Annie0904
21-02-14, 17:31
The first few times I felt sick after but now I think they use something different that stops you feeling sick. Once I was awake I stayed awake (as far as I know) :) You do feel sleepy for a while after though but it is more of a relaxed feeling.