PDA

View Full Version : CBT for HA

*Fallen Angel*
20-02-14, 19:30
So I've just started CBT with my counsellor today. She had me work through a sheet analysing an event this week when my HA was bad. I can see, when it's broken down how the fear diminishes but can't imagine this alone will cure me. So, I wondered is CBT an umbrella term for re-training the mind and that there are many different ways to administer it or is does it follow a prescribed practice? Will everyone who's having CBT do the same exercises regardless of their fear?

She got the exercises from a book called Mind Over Mood which I've flicked through before in the library.

*Fallen Angel*
21-02-14, 12:34
Anyone??

anthrokid
22-02-14, 03:28
CBT stands for cognitive behavioural therapy, and it is a combined therapy approach that aims to help alleviate symptoms of anxiety, depression, etc by changing thought patterns and behaviour. CBT exercises are all quite similar, but health care providers do try to tailor them to be specific and beneficial to their clients. To administer treatment, the treatment must first have been tried and tested. This means that only specific CBT practises are used. Using too many different ways that haven't been tested could result in unexpected results that may be bad.

You've only started today, so keep in mind that CBT isn't designed to work overnight. Nothing will work overnight. As stated, the aim of CBT is to retrain your thought processes. You've had the same thought process for your entire life, and it takes time to alter something so long-term.

Give it time :) I know it seems like it won't make a difference right now, but if you do the exercises as often as possible you may make some great progress. If in time you find that it isn't as beneficial as you'd like, talk to your counsellor about whether there is another approach you can take. CBT isn't the sole therapeutic approach for treating anxiety.

*Fallen Angel*
23-02-14, 10:20
Thank you, that's really helpful.

I don't know why I bother posting on here as I hardly ever get replies:shrug:

HoneyLove
23-02-14, 11:00
Fallen Angel, I just wanted to add that you wouldn't really look at CBT as a "cure" really. In a way, there's no cure for anxiety, which is why there's no pills that will magically take it all away for us (I wish there was!).

Anxiety is often down to unhealthy thought patterns - we get ourselves worried and worked up, the result is the release of stress chemicals in our bodies and the feeling of anxiety and all the other symptoms that come with it. There is no cure that, what we need to do is learn to manage our thoughts and our stress levels so that they don't turn into chronic anxiety.

CBT is one of the best ways to help you learn how to do this, it will teach you to examine the way you look at the world and how that affects you. If you work at the exercises it will definitely help, but it does take effort. CBT is a tool for you to use, it's not a cure, so you can't expect instant results the same way as if you're treating a health problem with medicine, if you know what I mean?

It would also be good for you to do some research on stress management, and learn how you can help yourself in other ways, pick up other tools that will help you through your whole life :)

Fishmanpa
23-02-14, 13:50
There's a free download of a rather good CBT course here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131665

Many here have had success with it and I've personally used it to help with some depression and "scanxiety".

Positive thoughts