PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine long term side effects?

captcha
22-02-14, 10:17
I was on this med for about 2 yrs, low dose (75mg I think) and stopped using it about 4-5 months ago, withdrew over a few weeks, about as unpleasant as most people report, Fluoxetine in the final stages helped,
I have used this in the past and currently continue to (20mg).
Im feeling very fatigued, wake up extremely tired after a nights sleep & generally unwell. I have had a few unconclusive blood tests and continue to return the my GP but Im begining to wonder if I could still be experiencing lasting symptoms of effexor withdrawl, from my research it doesnt usually last this long but wonder if anyone is experiencing the same?

Emphyrio
22-02-14, 16:50
Its possible for withdrawal symptoms to last months, or, in the worst cases, 2-4 years. The good news is is that everyone seems to improve as time goes on. There are support sites for people experiencing such withdrawal symptoms - google protracted venlafaxine withdrawal. Some people have it even worse - facing daily panic and anxiety that never ceases.

Omega 3 fish oil can help. B vitamins are also helpful for fatigue, but they can cause jitteryness/anxiety for some people.

Its possible that it could be a reaction to the fluoxetine as well. While generally a stimulating antidepressant, fluoxetine can have a sedating effect to some people.

Norden
02-03-14, 13:01
I quit Venlafaxine for about 15 months ago. My remaining problems are of more psychological nature - I do not recognize myself! and I struggle with panic attacks which I try to cure with Fluoxetine now.

captcha
11-03-14, 09:52
Looked at the search results for protracted withdrawl, quite a lot considering most GP's say it doesnt exist!

Pipkin
11-03-14, 18:32
I've been on venlafaxine twice before and withdrew fine. A bit unpleasant for a week or so but then I was fine.

I guess we're all different

Pip