PDA

View Full Version : Exposure therapy

RoseEve
23-02-14, 00:55
The next step in my CBT workbook is exposure therapy. I've been reading ALS stories because it is my number 1 fear. Now that my head is a bit clearer I can read the stories and feel for the people who are suffering with that horrible disease instead of thinking about just me. My dragon is begging me to feed it but so far no goes. The irrational thought is still there but i find myself getting more angry than panicky. I want to be free of this and I want to enjoy life. I can't do that thinking about death. We are all going to die one day anyway. I read this line in a graphic novel recently and I say it to myself "life is the lock and death is the key. Open it up and then you are free." Tonight I am doing another exposure therapy and I have to admit I'm a bit nervous. It's watching a scary movie alone. I used to love scary movies but haven't watched one through in 2 years. Sounds silly but this is a big step. Just waiting for my daughter to fall asleep. Thanks for the ongoing support everyone :)

Fishmanpa
23-02-14, 01:32
You're kickin' Dragon butt and taking no prisoners!

Positive thoughts

RoseEve
23-02-14, 03:18
Thanks fishmanpa! I did it I got through the whole movie. I was very nervous at first but then I got into it! Proud of myself :)

Fishmanpa
23-02-14, 04:30
What movie was it? I like creepy films. Not the silly slasher crazy man type but ones like The Shining. The Omen or the original Aliens :ohmy:

Positive thoughts

anthrokid
23-02-14, 06:52
Sounds like you are making some great progress :) Congrats on getting through the whole movie! You're doing a great job.

Primula
23-02-14, 09:33
Hi Rose Eve, may I ask what CBT book you are using? I'm really interested in doing exposure therapy for HA, although the thought terrifies me. I know I need to face my fears.

RoseEve
23-02-14, 12:06
Fishmanpa I totally agree with that I don't like gory movies. I like the ones that get into your head. It's Stephen kings 1408. Have you seen it?

Anthrokid thank you for your words of encouragement :) it means a lot

Primula the book is called, overcoming health anxiety by Kathleen Owens and Martin Antony. It has really helped me. The exposure therapy comes at the end.

Phuzella
23-02-14, 12:09
I personally think exposure therapy is the best thing for anxiety. That is just my opinion I hasten to add:)

Fishmanpa
23-02-14, 14:01
Fishmanpa I totally agree with that I don't like gory movies. I like the ones that get into your head. It's Stephen kings 1408. Have you seen it?

Ahhh... Stephen King... I've read many of his books. Haven't seen that movie yet... Worth checking out?

Positive thoughts

RoseEve
24-02-14, 01:49
Yes it sure is! It's one of my favorites. I also really like the mist.

anxious_thoughts
24-02-14, 04:16
That's so good, Rose! I'm very happy for you. :bighug1:

Phuzella
24-02-14, 06:18
Stephen King, one of my heroes lol. I think the best film adaptations of his books are the Green mile, Stand by me and the Shawshank redemption.

RoseEve
24-02-14, 15:06
Thanks Jenn :) Yes those are awesome too. I love Stephen King!