PDA

View Full Version : New heart obsession scared to go out

rebeccad
23-02-14, 10:21
I've never worried about my heart before , until now ! Keep getting pains in chest only mild and also shoulder and fingers feel a bit tingly , it's all on the left side , went to doc he did my blood pressure and also ran an ecg said everything was fine , I cannot shake this feeling that I'm going to have a heart attack and die , I've just drove my son to. Football game 40 mins away and all the way I was giving him updates as to where we were , I didn't tell him why but it was incase he had to call an ambulance , I'm 34 so know it's unlikely but I do have the pains , my mom has just had a mega stress at me for being selfish and my hubbie won't entertain my worries said I'm the boy that cried wolf , I don't know what to do , should I go back and request another ecg ? I'm really worried and have to drive home yet :(

kurtis1990
23-02-14, 11:30
Hi I know what your going threw as my heart is my.biggest fear. My chest pain and tingling have been severe enough to land me in hospital 12 times this month. Ive had 20 ecgs 5 bloods and a echocardiogram and all come back fine. If you want further reassurance press your doctor for more tests

Fishmanpa
23-02-14, 13:58
Hi Rebecca,

Unless you have a history of heart disease, which you don't, your doctor will not send you off for more testing. I don't recommend pushing for that either. You've been given the all clear and you have to trust that.

I just went through some "scanxiety" prior to my follow up appt. for cancer and it caused chest pains much of the same thing. I was sent by my doctors for a full cardiac workup with proved to be negative. I'm still sore but there is nothing physically wrong. It's stress, plain and simple.

Finding ways to deal with the stress and anxiety will help with alleviating the discomfort.

Positive thoughts

rebeccad
23-02-14, 14:23
Thanks both , I know fishmanpa exactly what your saying , I was doing so well and now I'm back to square one , thing that's worrying me is somebody we knew died last week of a heart attack aged 42 in his sleep , it's a coincidence all this has happened since then and my hubbie keeps saying that's why but my pains are so real , the thing is after I got the all clear Friday I went out partying and got a little tipsy and I had no pains x

Round in circles
23-02-14, 22:10
Maybe it's not a coincidence. I think your husband may be right. Hearing about the tragic death may have brought on anxiety that the same thing could happen to you. Tension could account for the chest/shoulder pains. Sometimes when those around us won't even listen to our fears, they get blown out of proportion in our heads.

It's okay to get freaked out, especially after news of the death. On the flip side, you've been to the doc and had the appropriate tests done and those came back fine. Sorry you're having a hard with this. Take care.

greggs92
23-02-14, 22:13
I've never worried about my heart before , until now ! Keep getting pains in chest only mild and also shoulder and fingers feel a bit tingly , it's all on the left side , went to doc he did my blood pressure and also ran an ecg said everything was fine , I cannot shake this feeling that I'm going to have a heart attack and die , I've just drove my son to. Football game 40 mins away and all the way I was giving him updates as to where we were , I didn't tell him why but it was incase he had to call an ambulance , I'm 34 so know it's unlikely but I do have the pains , my mom has just had a mega stress at me for being selfish and my hubbie won't entertain my worries said I'm the boy that cried wolf , I don't know what to do , should I go back and request another ecg ? I'm really worried and have to drive home yet :(

You have chest pains because you suffer from anxiety - your heart is fine, it's only you fearing the fear. you are not coming to any harm, i promise you. Btw the chest pain is only sensation, it's not actually physical pain

Round in circles
23-02-14, 22:23
The chest pain could also be down to inflammation of the chest wall. I get that a lot. It tends to feel tender to the touch

Typer
23-02-14, 23:05
It may also be acid reflux. I have had that so bad it feels like a heart attack.

Althea
23-02-14, 23:33
it's a coincidence all this has happened since then and my hubbie keeps saying that's why but my pains are so real

I think there's a bit of an HA misconception that anxiety doesn't create real pain--that there's some kind of "imaginary" pain that doesn't actually hurt you. Anxiety-induced pain really hurts, often a lot.

So what are you doing to treat the anxiety? It's no fun for you or for your son if the trip to his football game is about your anxiety.

rebeccad
24-02-14, 07:00
Thanks to everyone that has replied , as you probably know it helps so much to get somebody else's opinion on things , I'm at work today so if I don't get any pains I'll know it's all in my head x