PDA

View Full Version : Trouble discerning a dream from reality?

well-then
23-02-14, 12:02
(Sorry if this in the wrong category/if I have asked too many questions without helping other people, I'm still feel a bit unfamiliar with forum etiquette.Still, out of all my experiences, this has by far been the scariest.)

On top of all my DVT fears, I had a very strange incident a few nights ago that has never happened before. I was lying awake in my bed, when I may have dozed off (???). When I tried to move my arms and legs, I found that I couldn't at all, and everything felt numb. My first thought was "Oh, I've read about this, this is called sleep paralysis", so I just lay there relatively calmly, telling myself not to open my eyes less I hallucinate and see something scary. After a while, I wiggled my arms and toes until I could sit up, and then I finally opened my eyes.

It looked like my eyes were crossed, everything was double, and I couldn't see well. I tried to yell out, but I couldn't talk properly, so I got up, feeling dizzy, head pounding, chest aching, and the paralysing feeling took over again. I walked up to my bedroom door to alert my parents/call an ambulance, but I fell.

Then, maybe, I opened my eyes and I was on my bed again, and it was still night time. I convinced myself that that was a dream, but didn't go back to sleep. Looking back, I can't help but have major doubts. Like, doubting my own sanity and if that "dream" was actually real, and I should see a doctor because I might have had a mini-stroke or something. Which is doubtful, since I'm 18, for crying out loud.

Still, I am honestly wondering if I really experienced all that. I haven't told my parents because they wouldn't care/believe me, and I don't know how I'd explain this to a doctor without having eyebrows raised. I've never questioned my own perception of reality before, and I don't know what to do or how to handle this. I'm so cared that my HA and my constant habit of suppressing my anxieties and hiding them has finally kicked me off the deep end.

Has anyone ever went through something as terrifying as this?

RoseEve
23-02-14, 12:17
I've never had this but I've thought more than once I was hearing voices. The state between dreaming and waking is strange indeed. Once I was in bed staring at my wall and talking to my mother but she wasn't home. I was in that state between waking and sleeping. Of course it freaked me out. There have also been times where In this state when I try to remember what my kids look like or I can't remember their names. I think you were half asleep half awake. I often wake up with blurry vision. It's very unsettling but normal. Also, may I ask if you are currently on medication? I was taking zoloft and this made my dreams seem more real.

well-then
23-02-14, 12:30
Oh okay, at least it's not as abnormal as I thought. :0 I hope it was a dream, and that is was just because of a lack of sleep or something.

I'm not on any medication, since I'm scared of taking tablets and whatnot, haha.

Fishmanpa
23-02-14, 14:07
That's actually not that unusual. I would venture to say that was a dream and some sleep paralysis. I've had it happen. Yesterday afternoon, I took a nice afternoon nap with my fiance' :) I had vivid dreams that seemed so real. In fact, my fiance' was with me in the dreams and I was telling her that I had to be dreaming and asking her questions to prove it! ~lol~ When I finally did awaken, it became apparent I was dreaming but dang if it didn't seem real at the time.

Positive thoughts