PDA

View Full Version : Scared of sleep paralysis?

Bexx1
23-02-14, 21:07
Hi everyone
I saw a new article recently about sleep paralysis and I bet you can guess what happened. My HA kicked in and now im terrified about getting it.I dont know much about it as I stopped reading straight away and refused to google but im still scared. Can anyone help lay my HA to rest so I dont google! Thanks x

Serenity1990
23-02-14, 21:52
I got it once about a year and a bit ago, which was resultant of being awake 36 hours, being full of caffeine and stress about an upcoming exam. I found it to be an amazing experience tbh!

I knew what it was as a friend always gets it after a night out (and has a history of it from childhood so he's not just drunk, lol). I don't know what I'd be like if I experienced it now though, the nervous wreck I've turned into.

Bexx1
23-02-14, 21:58
I got it once about a year and a bit ago, which was resultant of being awake 36 hours, being full of caffeine and stress about an upcoming exam. I found it to be an amazing experience tbh!
Thank you that makes me feel a bit better :) Thats what im scared of. Im scared of getting it and panicing and not being able to cope because of anxiety! :(

mummyanxious
23-02-14, 22:01
But sleep paralysis isn't harmful? And I;m pretty sure it's a pretty common phenomena.

Bexx1
23-02-14, 22:05
thank you mummyanxious :) i know its anxiety getting better of me. Im scared of causing it myself from anxiety or bringing it on myself though deep down I know im being silly

mummyanxious
23-02-14, 22:06
I've had really bad jerks when anxious before in bed. It's no fun, but it messes with every part of you.
Relax, bed is a nice place :) Least that's what I try and tell myself.

cattia
23-02-14, 22:11
I used to get it quite a lot when I was a teenager. I'm not going to lie, it isn't pleasant, but it really doesn't last long and if you know what it is you just try to relax until it passes. It porbably lasts less than a few minutes.

Bexx1
23-02-14, 22:16
Thank you both :) Ive had jerks before but not recently. Have you not had it for a while cattia?

greggs92
23-02-14, 22:19
Hi everyone
I saw a new article recently about sleep paralysis and I bet you can guess what happened. My HA kicked in and now im terrified about getting it.I dont know much about it as I stopped reading straight away and refused to google but im still scared. Can anyone help lay my HA to rest so I dont google! Thanks x

This proves that you are creating the fear yourself, it's not doing it to you, but rather your doing it to yourself, you've subconsciously made a choice. You don't have to be fearful of anything, it's just that your brain has been conditioned to do so.

Bexx1
23-02-14, 22:23
This proves that you are creating the fear yourself, it's not doing it to you, but rather your doing it to yourself, you've subconsciously made a choice. You don't have to be fearful of anything, it's just that your brain has been conditioned to do so.
I agree I always find it much harder to deal with fear at night!

greggs92
23-02-14, 22:44
Fear is just an emotion, it won't harm you, ask yourself why are you fearing it? whats the worst that can actually happen? the worst that will happen is that you'll have sleep paralysis, which again I've suffered loads in the past and it's harmless.

anthrokid
23-02-14, 23:02
It's nothing to be afraid of :) While it isn't a very nice experience, there is nothing dangerous about it. And it doesn't last very long. It generally happens when REM sleep is disrupted suddenly. I guess the best way to describe it simply would be that your mind wakes up from REM sleep very suddenly but your body still thinks it is snooze time and takes a little while to catch up. It happens very rarely, and if you've never experienced it before you probably won't start experiencing it now. And even if you do, it'll be over and done with before you know it!

Typer
23-02-14, 23:06
I get it when I sleep somewhere new. Just go back to sleep and it goes quickly...its just your senses waking up before your body does.

Bexx1
23-02-14, 23:21
Thank you all for being so kind and helpful :)