PDA

View Full Version : New sensation - very scared!

Rachel Ball
24-11-06, 02:11
Hi there, I am new to this forum, stumbled upon it in another moment of desperately searching for an answer. Anyway, this anxiety thing is not particuarly new for me- I have had it for approx five years. have been feeling good for a couple of weeks or so as I started back on some medication about a month ago. However, tonight, completely out of the blue, I have been hit by a completely new sensation and I really thought there were no more suprises. My chest felt really constricted and I was acutely aware of my breathing (not a new sensation) but then a really cold (or hot) tingly sensation started going through my body, really bad in legs, chest and stomach. My chest now feels like its burning. I can't get to sleep now because it starts really bad again as soon as I try. Is this a panic attack or something else?
To make matters worse, because it was so bad, I told my husband about it for a bit of reassurance and he has told me that he can't cope with it anymore as he has enough stress in his life. I feel slightly aggrieved as I do try keep about 95% of what I go through from him. Please don't get me wrong he is a wonderful man in every way, but I can't help feeling like this!! Help!

Sue K with 5
24-11-06, 02:24
Hi rachel

What you have descrived is a normal reaction to anxiety and is really a panic attack. Im sure you were very scared and left wondering what the hell is going on but your not alone with these feelings.

Many of us suffer with similar experiences to the one you had tonight, You have found a site which has total understanding to your needs and you are about to embark on a journey of discovery in the world of panic and anxiety. Your not alone.. ( sounds like something out of an alien movie) and in a way it is for some people, The whole concept of living with panic and anxiety is pretty alien but you can and you will get through this.

if you fancy chatting feel free to PM Rachel

Sue

xxxx

scknight

Lynnann
24-11-06, 02:31
Hi Rachel,

First of all welcome to the forum, I develop new symptoms so don't be too alarmed. You are not alone!!

It is a shame that your husband isn't being more supportive, have you tried showing him some of the facts about panic? There are a lot of sites that provide useful information for the families of sufferers, have a look through the information and links from this site. Hopefully if he understands your situation better he can support you in a more productive way. Therefore lessening his stress.

Of course you can't help feeling like this, none of us choose this! I have lots of problems trying to sleep, hence I am here at 2.30 when I have to go to work in the morning.

Hugs to you

Lynnann

We are all here for you

keef737
24-11-06, 02:55
Yes Rachel Ive had these feelings well and so has 2 freinds who suffered from panic attacks and I know another man who gets panic attacks and sometimes he cant sleep half the night either - he goes out for walks 2 -4 am !!! and works all day (age 65)
its 3 am and I cant sleep either !!!!! what next ???? I dont know, but im learning and the best place in the world to be is on Nomorepanic

Hopes XXXX it gets better !!! keith

clickaway
24-11-06, 03:47
Welcome Rachel - another insomniac here!

It seems symptoms of Panic Attacks have no boundaries. I have experienced many different symptoms, which have usually re-occurred over a period of time.

However, about 4 years ago, I had a most peculiar one - soon after I got up to make a cup of tea, I had a great deal of tingling down the left hand side of my body. I got an emergency appointment with my GP and the spent the rest of the day being checked out in hospital and they found nothing. It was just anxiety and panic!

I'm sure this may be anxiety, but don't be afraid to speak to your GP about it to give you that reassurance.

Take Care,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

yorkylover
24-11-06, 12:08
Hi Rachel,all sounds like anxiety pet.Its hard for members of the family,they can support us but they dont know what its like unless they have been there.;)

Ellen XX

sandie
26-11-06, 10:43
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi there, I am new to this forum, stumbled upon it in another moment of desperately searching for an answer. Anyway, this anxiety thing is not particuarly new for me- I have had it for approx five years. have been feeling good for a couple of weeks or so as I started back on some medication about a month ago. However, tonight, completely out of the blue, I have been hit by a completely new sensation and I really thought there were no more suprises. My chest felt really constricted and I was acutely aware of my breathing (not a new sensation) but then a really cold (or hot) tingly sensation started going through my body, really bad in legs, chest and stomach. My chest now feels like its burning. I can't get to sleep now because it starts really bad again as soon as I try. Is this a panic attack or something else?
To make matters worse, because it was so bad, I told my husband about it for a bit of reassurance and he has told me that he can't cope with it anymore as he has enough stress in his life. I feel slightly aggrieved as I do try keep about 95% of what I go through from him. Please don't get me wrong he is a wonderful man in every way, but I can't help feeling like this!! Help!

<div align="right">Originally posted by Rachel Ball - 24 November 2006 : 02:11:21</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hello Rachel

I have recently (the last month) been diagnosed with depression which has led to acute anxiety/panic attacks. All stress related - I was initially prescribed proazac which had me bouncing off the walls. Was then given a small amount of valium to help me sleep (I was lucky if I had 3 hours each night.) It was hoped that this would break the cycle of insomnia, but it didn't, so GP prescribed a small quantity of tamazapan, before being given zimavane - which I am still taking. I have little problem getting to sleep, but barely manage 4 hours. Meanwhile I started to encounter the panic attacks - severe palpitations, tighteness and burning across the chest. MY GP has prescribed propanalol (beta blocker) 3 x 40 mg per day. This has helped a lot. However, yesterday, as a result of finding this website, I tried Bach remedy and I have to say it helped a great deal with the burning sensation, and the effect was pretty much immediate. You can but it in Tesco and it isn't expensive.

It hasn't helped that the menopause has just hit me 'big time'; I've gone from a woman who rarely visited the doctor or needed medication of any kind, to somebody who could well buy a seaon ticket for the surgery.

The insomnia is worsened by the palpitations/tightness/burning sensation. HOWEVER, had my best night last night for sometime. Glass of warm milk, zimavane, beta blocker, and last of all, the Bach remedy -
over the course of 30 minutes before turning out the lights. I hope over the coming weeks/months, to wean myself off the sleeping tablet and beta blocker, and just use the Bach remedy and warm milk. The warm milk apparently contains tryptophan which the body converts to 5-HTP which is the pre-cursor for seratonin (the feel-good substance released in the brain.) Oats, bananas, dates, milk, yoghourt,
cottage cheese, fish, sesame, chick peas, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and peanuts apparently also contains tryptophan. 5-HTP is available in capsule form from the health food shops but it is very expensive.

As you can probably guess, I've been on the net trying to discover all sorts of remedies, and any help available with dealing with the panic attacks/anxiety (hence the comments about seratonin etc). I have found this website particularly helpful. Wikipedia is also very good.

Thankfully, my husband has been very supportive - it was actually him who found the website, and the info abo

999madmax
26-11-06, 14:43
Hi Sandi,
What you have described is very similar to what i have been feeling. It is only recently that i have had to look at the issues behind it to understand it.. I don`t like it and so far it has taken over me, Hav ehad a really tough weekend and don`t know where to go from here?
Unfortunatly i have to wait until Thursday to see my GP. It just feels like i can`t control it and i hate it!!!
I don`t suppose you have any tips once i see my GP, and what to say to them?? How can it be controlled and understood properly?
Thanks

LOL

999Madmax
-*-

sandie
26-11-06, 15:27
Hello Max

Sorry to hear how bad you are feeling. It's good you've discovered this website - it really is packed full of information - particularly the First Steps pages. If you read as much as you can in the forums, message boards, etc, you'll probably end up with more information and understanding than your GP. My young, male GP believes in 'tough love'; as a result he is being quite circumspect in his treatment - wants to see me every 2 weeks, won't over-prescribe, only gives me 14 zimavane after a thorough consultation etc. He has twice (during the early part of my treatment), asked if I've felt suicidal. I've tried to be honest and intelligent with him and I think he has responded accordingly. I think it has helped that on 2 occasions my husband has been with me - our way of letting the GP know that I am being supported. I would suggest that if it is at all possible, you request a 20 minute appointment, or as long as the surgery staff are permitted to offer. Is there anyone you feel able to have with you for the appointment?

Perhaps you could spend a little time between now and Thursday making a list of symptoms with related questions. If he offers you any medication ask him to explain exactly what it is being prescribed for, potential side-effects, dependancy issues etc.

The female GP who prescribed me Prozac, didn't take the time to say it would possibly make me feel worse before I felt better. Consequently, when I was bouncing off the walls, suffering dreadfully from disturbed sleep etc, I just thought I was getting worse or suffering severe side-effects. Had she said that this would probably happen and that they would moderate and I would feel better, I would probably have stuck with the Prozac and perhaps be feeling better now. Instead, I stopped after about 10 days. I was by that time so tired and jittery, the young male GP prescribed me a small amount of valium for a few days in order to calm me.

The issues causing my stress are still very much ongoing; I'm sure the panic attacks and anxiety will continue until they are resolved. I have just got to learn how to cope with them. Having 'googled' panic attacks, I've found some comprehensive websites with details of good coping mechanisms. Because I know have a better understanding of the anxiety/panic attacks cycle, I hope I will cope better.

Hope the above helps. Let us know how the appointment works out.

Sandie

999madmax
26-11-06, 23:20
Sandi,
Unfortunatly the Drs here don`t have 20 mins slots. But as your advise says - Look for info on this website and take notes to similar issues and problems that co-inside with anxiety etc. Even better that i have a low support worker whom is able to join me at my appiontment. It has been a while since seeing this specific Dr, though i am sure she would understand what i am going through...
I am generally one step ahead to look for advise, but this time round i am worrying too much. Paraniod nothing will come of it?? Prob as i am over tired and can`t sleep at all since opening up on friday.?!
What is zimavane? Does it work? Short term/long term?

LOL

999Madmax
-*-

sandie
27-11-06, 09:20
Hello Max

Sounds as though you're thinking pretty good, and are getting organised for the appointment. You are no doubt very over-tired and I am sure could do with some sleep. The zimovane is a prescribed sleeping tablet -one of the newer types which are not meant to create dependency issuesto the same degree as earlier types.

However, I'm finding that the Bach remedy - 4 drops in water sipped throughout the day, and 4 drops on the tongue throughout the day also helps calm me before sleep. At £5.95 from Tesco it's not too expensive. I'm also drinking a cup of warm milk with my sleeping tablet, getting into a warm bed and trying to relax and breathe properly. Working hard at not thinking negative thoughts, telling myself when the palipitations start that they are not important and will pass, trying hard to distract myself, all of these help with the attacks. It is difficult though when you are tired. Not totally happy about recommending medications, but maybe the over the counter anti histamines could help. These make you very drowsy - would these, taken with a glass of warm milk help you at least get to sleep?

I didn't exercise yesterday and it had a detrimental effect on my mood and my sleep; today I must try to get out of the house and walk for a little while - it's hard to believe that it can make the difference between a good dy and a bad day, but it really does!

Disappointed the surgery cannot offer you a longer than standard appointment time. But don't feel rushed when you are with the GP - he/she is there to help you and can only do so if you are honest and give him as much information as possible about what you are going through.

Stay in touch and look after yourself.

Sandie

999madmax
27-11-06, 14:12
Sandi,
Thank you again..
Got 3 hours sleep last night and feel a litle better at the moment, as my friend came to see me for a little while. Boosted my confidence a little. I would never recommend drugs to other people either, but it is nice to see an example of what it does and how others cope with it. Iv`e never tried any remedy to sleep before, although have had sleepers for very short while and 2 days worked but any longer it drained away. (So Annoying!!)
Im very anxious in seeing the Dr, btu i`m sure the Dr will give me all the time she can, and be very supportive.
Exercise is always good to boost the body and mind, plus it gets most of my anger out. But as you said you didn`t do much yesterday, i really don`t feel like going to play Badminton tomorrow (Usual exercise weekly). Hope i do go, but i think i am worring too much!
I hate feeling like this as - one minute i feel fine and then the next i feel very anxious and can`t feel like i can cope with any issue that comes at me. (E.G. Ate raelly well on Fri and Sat, But Sunday and today i havn`t felt comfortable to eat or even be around people.)
I suppose i have to take it steady and one day at a time. Don`t get to low about it and just get on with it???! It is hard!!!
So far, this site has been very helpful to me and hope it is to other users..

LOL

999Madmax
-*-

sandie
27-11-06, 15:00
Hello Max

Glad to hear you've had a little sleep, but 3 hours is not very much is it? I've just listened to Paul McKenna's Trance Download from his website. I followed the hypnotherapy link from NMP, burnt a CD and stretched out on the sofa; it was better the second time - listening through headphones - quite relaxing; I think it's something you need to play fairly regularly as I am sure it will help with the positive reaffirmations we all need from time to time. Coping with this anxiety thing is a bit like eating an elephant - one small bite at a time.

I understand about your lack of interest in food. If it wasn't for the fact that I have to cook for my husband, I wouldn't bother to eat. But we HAVE to eat - you cannot possibly get well again if you don't eat. If you can't be bothered to cook, then try the easy things, bananas, apples, good bread (my husband, son and I all enjoy the Soya and Linseed Burgen Bread which is very nutritious), good old porridge is not only filling, quick and easy, but it is also very comforting as well as good for you - as long as its not loaded in sugar! If you really can't be bothered, then at least make sure you drink plenty of water - it's meant to help with stress as well being important to the body's needs.

It's good that you've had a friend visit; I have found this site invaluable, not least for the information I've discovered, but because I'm sharing my thoughts and feelings with people who feel they are becoming friends. I'm coping far better with my panic attacks now than I was this time last week.

It's been raining here so I haven't been out today. Somewhere on NMP it mentions that you can ease the palpitations by using up the adrenaline causing them, just by running up and down the stairs. I did this at lunchtime and it worked!!

Have a good afternoon.

Sandie

999madmax
30-11-06, 11:20
Hi Sandi,
Well iv`e ben to the Drs this morning and although she is a great Dr, she has only given me a sick note for 2 weeks as she wants to comply with my OT worker @ the Hospital. Which is fair enough. But i will only go back and keep asking for more whilst i am like this!
Got my apetite back last night and ate a big meal (most of it). Then at 9:30pm i was asleep. Although i had broken sleep i slept most of the night. (Great news)!!
I cook my own food daily as i love cooking, and would prefer to cook than the female to cook (if i had one). I understand where you are coming from; when you only cook and eat because of your other half. But it shouldn`t be like that!! Yeah, anything easy to get down i.e. Bananas, Porrige etc, is better for you as well. Keeping on the healthy options always helps get nutritions in the body. But you still need meat inside for other nutritions.
Yeah, it was nice to have my friend here as it bumps my ego a little. And also this site is great to me because, not only i am thinking about anxiety, i am writing it down to others and it eases the mind. (Thinking aloud) Talking how others get better gives me the incentive to do the same!!
Slowly but surely i`ll get there and hopefully you will too...

The weather has been pretty bad over the past few days, but this morning there was a beauitful sun rise etc. But just a bit blowy now, looks like it may rain - Dull clouds etc.

LOL

999Madmax
-*-

sandie
30-11-06, 11:30
Hi Max

It sound as though you are feeling much better - I'm glad the GP visit went well. I envy you the amount of sleep you had but you obviously needed it!! I managed 4 hours last night - pretty tired this am.

If you have 5 mins do you want to talk in the chat room?

I've got to go out soon but would love to chat if you have time.

Sandie

999madmax
30-11-06, 13:06
hi again Sandi,
I always seem to miss you - on line etc.
Never mind. Sorry to hear that you didn`t get much sleep last night and yeah i really needed it!!
I always find my sleeping patterns are always all over the place.!!
Well Drs didn`t go as well as i hoped, but she gave me a sick note, so all is good over all!!! What time will you be on? And how do i get to the chat page? As this comp is communal use and can`t pay for anything etc - Stingy!! HeHe..
Not to worry, i am the only user in my house etc. Great i can be on here all day and night if i wanted to, without any one moaning or groaning!! TeHe..

LOL

999Madmax
-*-

samc100
30-11-06, 13:22
Max - don't worry about the sicknote. I think it is a very standard response from GP's to do 2 weeks so they can get you back into their lair to check you out. Mine did that for a couple of months but she never had a problem giving me one.

You may find when you go again to the Dr's things do progress - I found that. I think I expected too much from my first visit. But found her supportive since.

And you are right - this is a brill place to be. Jst being around those who understand is amazing.

999madmax
30-11-06, 14:37
samc100,
Cheers for your post. Nah i ain`t worring too much as that will make me worse!!
I will prob be off sick for the next few months and my Dr hasn`t a problem giving me them as long as my OT worker says so.
I suppose your right in expecting too much on the first visit.
IT CAN ONLY GET BETTER!!!
TeHe!!

LOL

999Madmax
-*-

samc100
30-11-06, 14:54
When are you next at the Dr's Max? is it in a fortnight?

Ma Larkin
30-11-06, 15:34
Hi Rachel, the chest constriction was my worst symptom. I was prescribed Prozac for the anxiety and after about 6 weeks, the sensations disappeared. I stopped taking Prozac 5 weeks ago and the symptoms have now come back so I know it definitely is anxiety. My chest feels like its on fire sometimes and it affects my upper back as well, the tingling accompanies it, mainly my arms and legs and it seems to be there permanently. I've got a doctors appointment on the 18th December and am going to ask him to put me back on Prozac. In the meantime, I'm taking my Rescue Remedy. I get mine from the Supermarket for a few quid and it works instantly, few sprays on the tongue and it takes the edge off the panic.

Les

sandie
30-11-06, 18:16
Hi guys

Yes the burning and chest constriction is very frightening. The palps are unpleasant too. Its so hard to believe that anxiety and PAs can result in such severe physical symptoms. Propanalol (beta blocker) helps a lot with the palps, but I'm trying to wean myself down from 3 to 2x40mg a day. I'm also trying to come off the zimovane sleeping tabs. I rang Lanes (Kalms) today to enquire if their 'natural' sleep aid can be taken alongside zimovane. Tescos and Sainsburys advise that their version cannot be used when taking propanalol. I'm waiting for a call back from Lanes. I enquired at the GP but was told that they cannot advise because the Kalms is not a prescribed med; seems strange to me, but they reassured me they weren't being difficult, they just couldn't adviose, and that I should wait to hear from Lanes.

Does anybody have any thoughts/ideas on the above.

Sandie

999madmax
01-12-06, 15:44
Samc100,
Well yeah, At Drs in fortnight to update my sick note.
Just came back from my OT worker and she is backing me with being on the sick etc. So all is good!!!:)
got some more info about anxiety and Panic attacks so it could be heplful soon!
Anyway how things your end?
TB...

LOL

999Madmax
-*-