PDA

View Full Version : Can you beat anxiety?

warwick
23-02-14, 21:31
Hi everyone - I've just begun taking propranolol after finally getting help for anxiety/stress. It's been fairly severe for a few months now: I'm barely sleeping, getting adrenaline rushes all day long and sometimes shaking. I find it hard to talk to anyone - even close family ! - as I feel like I'm on the edge of losing it the whole time, or about to start shaking uncontrollably. The doctor in A&E gave me the pills to calm down after I went in this morning in a right state. He said the next stage is seeing a GP and talking long-term options like CBT or counselling.

Is there any user here who's been through this and come out OK? I've not told a soul about it - friends or family - as I find it really embarrassing.

Superworrier
23-02-14, 21:57
Hi I too am struggling . I think for me it is that I have had anxiety for many years but I have never had it like this before it's like I just cant breathe. I have been like this everyday and after taking myself to A and E last week the Drs say it is Anxitety. So I totally understand where your coming from whilst my family do know and they accept it is Anxiety I just don't seem to be able to xxx if you need to chat I am here as are so many of the amazing people on here .

Spondoolicks
23-02-14, 22:27
Hi and welcome Warwick. I have also been experiencing my latest bout of anxiety for the last few months. I have finally made it to the top of the list for cbt. You really should confide in someone about your anxiety. I'm sure your family would be supportive and it's certainly nothing to be embarrassed about. You will come across lots of lovely people on here. Some are ex sufferers so there's your evidence, you can and will come out the other side. I suggest you get yourself to your GP as soon as possible and get yourself on a waiting list for cbt and or counselling. He will be able to discuss with you if you need or want to go onto medication. Good sources of knowledge are Dr. Clare Weeks books which you can get on amazon through a link on here and nothing works www.nothingworks.weebly.com which is a very informative piece written by one of the forums members. Both these sources have helped me. There is also a free cbt course available through nomorepanic. Good luck in all that you do and wishing you a good recovery :)