PDA

View Full Version : Lightheadedness and Headaches

Foxx
24-02-14, 17:41
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on the forms for a week or two but just decided to sign up today. A little back story about myself - I've been diagnosed with a general anxiety disorder as well as moderate/sever depression. I'm on an antidepressant and I take xanax to manage my panic attacks.

Now for the "real" (haha) problem.... For several years I've been having light headed spells, where I will suddenly feel very weak and like I'm about to pass out. For a long time I'd only have one or so a week (and this was pre-depression/anxiety) and I just kind of ignored it because I never actually passed out and they went away on their own.

Over the past couple of months, they've been getting progressively worse and accompanied by headaches. Within the last two weeks I've been having these lightheaded spells and headaches daily. Over the past couple of days I've had a headache every day and more than once lightheaded spell a day. It's extremely concerning to me and I'm not sure if it's anxiety related or not. I work a full time job as well as I'm a full time university student. My grandmother passed away in December and I'm still having a hard time dealing with it. I'm not sure if all of these factors play into it, but I have noticed that it's been worse since the new year.

I saw my doctor last week and she did a full blood work up on me but everything seemed fine. She's referred me to a neurologist and to have an MRI this Wednesday. I noticed a couple of other people on the forms that have had similar issues but wasn't able to see any resolution to anything.

I've never actually passed out, but the faint feeling happens at the most random and inopportune times. It's happened while I've been standing in line, driving my car, working out at the gym, riding an escalator and even just sitting at my desk at work. Sitting down doesn't help and sometimes if I lay down the room spins like I'm drunk.

I'm 26, a non-smoker, and in otherwise good health. Any ideas or advice?

Thanks in advance!

Phuzella
24-02-14, 17:57
Have your ears been checked ??

Foxx
24-02-14, 17:58
My doctor looked into them the other day at my appointment but didn't say that she noticed anything.

Phuzella
24-02-14, 18:16
I Occasionally get positional vertigo which makes the room spin really bad. It's totally benign but annoying. I had a few near fainting light headed spells recently when my anxiety returned for a few months. Your grandmother passing away is still very recent so maybe it has brought about your spells.
Your doctor seems like she's doing all the right things though so try not to worry:)

Foxx
24-02-14, 19:25
Thank you. I am hoping it's related to my anxiety and not anything major, but it's definitely scary. Especially having to go for an MRI!

shakey1961
25-02-14, 03:07
How long does it take for these dizzy spells to subside?

Next time you get one of these lighthead/dizzy spells try having a sugary drink. But it must be proper sugar NOT A DIET DRINK!!!!

Please tell me if you start to feel better quicker than if you hadn't had the drink. If it does work, you should feel better in about 20 mins.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Foxx
25-02-14, 03:43
Sometimes it only takes five or ten minutes, but other times it lasts for twenty or longer. I do usually drink diet instead of regular soda if I drink it. I'll take a regular soda with me tomorrow and drink it when one comes on. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!!

messenoughclean
25-02-14, 16:38
I have been having very similar symptoms - all except for the room actually spinning, I haven't ever experienced that (well not while sober anyway!). The lightheadedness comes completely randomly and is one of the main things that stresses me out - hate going out places as i worry it will happen and i will faint, never have done though.

The headaches came at the very start of this bout of anxiety, at the moment I think they are the trigger (ie there's actually a reason for them eg migraine or something) of the anxiety (due to me foolishly googling and panicking!) but I suppose I might find that they are actually just symptoms.

GP referred me to neurologist but didn't mention what this might entail (no mention of MRI) - it's been a month since the referral and no word from the hospital yet. Good luck with your MRI let us know how you get on.

shakey1961
25-02-14, 19:02
Foxx and Messenoughclean - when you get these spells, do you feel shaky, heart race, sweating and weak?

messenoughclean
25-02-14, 19:09
I don't normally, mine are generally accompanied by knot/feeling of dread in my stomach. If I'm at home and not in a panicky state then it passes really quickly.

I did think to start with mine might be blood sugar related but sometimes it's before meals, sometimes it's after, sometimes it's completely random when I've eaten regularly throughout the day. I just put mine down to the anxiety and try to distract myself, I will be mentioning it to the neurologist when i finally get there though.

Foxx
25-02-14, 19:41
Messenoughclean, I've only had that one instance of the room actually spinning, which I thought was really weird since I was laying down. I'll definitely let you know how my MRI goes tomorrow.

Shakey - Yes, I almost always feel shaky/weak and sometimes my heart races, though I don't always notice it. If I'm in my car I'll turn my A/C all the way up... I don't think it helps, but it distracts me at least.

I was thinking mine was bloodsugar related as I've eaten normally all day and hadn't had any spells. However, I just ate lunch and now i'm feeling one come on.

shakey1961
26-02-14, 06:44
How long after lunch did an episode come on? It can still be blood sugar even after you've eaten.

By the sounds of it, I'd say you have some of the classic symptoms of low blood sugar. Do you find noise (radio, talking etc) appears louder or you'd prefer if everything was quiet when you have an episode?

Foxx
26-02-14, 15:54
It was probably 10-15 minutes after I had eaten. I haven't really noticed the sound issue too much, however I do notice that if I'm in a crowded/noisy place (like a shopping center) it does seem extremely loud. I'm not sure if that's my anxiety or related to the episode, though.

I've also made the realization that it doesn't happen first thing in the morning. I'm wondering if this is coincidence or related. I've never noticed it driving in the morning, but every day this week I've had an issue making it home because I'll have a spell either right before I leave work or in my car on the way home.

Foxx
27-02-14, 15:32
Well, I'm happy to report that my MRI went well from an anxiety stand point. I was really afraid I was going to have a panic attack in the machine since I'm claustrophobic. However, xanax is a miracle drug and I kept my eyes closed the whole time, so I was fine. I wont know the results for a couple of days.

I'm hoping they don't find anything and my spells are blood sugar and/or anxiety related.