PDA

View Full Version : Do sanitary towels contribute to cancer?

AnxietySufferer
24-02-14, 20:52
Okay so, I saw a thing (it was actually on facebook.. I know a lot of this is a hoax)at first I thought nothing of it, it was about young girls dieing from cancer that was caused my wearing a sanitary pad for too long (all day), I looked into it further and came across the burning experiment, where pads such as those made by always give off a thick black smoke whereas organic ones burn clean suggesting the presence of nasty chemicals in the pads. Anyway.. I often leave a pad on for long periods of time in between my period when I have a small amount of leakage.. And usually always wear one of the smaller pads when I'm not on my period (an anxiety thing) and now I have heard this is has got me really worried that I should be using organic pads. Should I be concerned?

Fishmanpa
24-02-14, 20:58
Hoax...

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/paddeath.asp

Positive thoughts

Phuzella
24-02-14, 20:58
I'm not sure about this, maybe look on the manufacturers website for information. But one thing i will say is that I'm not a believer in wearing pant liners when you're not having a period. :)

KLP
24-02-14, 21:00
I doubt it, but I use a menstral cup, made from silicone and reusable.

Round in circles
24-02-14, 21:16
Oh KLP.. You reminded me of my mishap when trying one of those. I won't go into details, but dear lord.. The pain! Lol...

KLP
24-02-14, 21:25
You have to also be skilful in origami. It's about the folding mechanism. Lol. I think it's comfortable..

Annie0904
24-02-14, 21:51
If it was true then us older women would have all died from cancer by now :) As Fishmanpa has said...it was a hoax and there is no danger from them. Going through the menopause I was having periods lasting 3 weeks and so heavy I was using the largest tampon and sanitary towels most of the time day and night.

Fishmanpa
24-02-14, 21:58
You have to also be skilful in origami. It's about the folding mechanism. Lol. I think it's comfortable..

~lol~ A vision of a sanitary napkin folded into a swan just popped up in my head.... You just can't unsee stuff like that!

Positive thoughts

Annie0904
24-02-14, 22:03
~lol~ A vision of a sanitary napkin folded into a swan just popped up in my head.... You just can't unsee stuff like that!

Positive thoughts

I was in the waiting room waiting for a minor gynaecological operation and my husband was with me. He asked me if I had something he could use for a book mark so I gave him a sanitary towel :roflmao: At least it made everyone in the waiting room laugh.

KLP
24-02-14, 22:14

Positive thoughts

Sadly fishmanpa, it's a skill only few have. Swan or bonsai tree (ouch). It's good for the environment. :roflmao:

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

I was in the waiting room waiting for a minor gynaecological operation and my husband was with me. He asked me if I had something he could use for a book mark so I gave him a sanitary towel :roflmao: At least it made everyone in the waiting room laugh.

:whistles: funny.

spuder
25-02-14, 11:34

That's very funny annie:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Rennie1989
25-02-14, 11:51
If pads caused cancer then not only would scientists recognise it but the companies would use less carcinogenic materials. Not to mention the rates of cancer in fertile and menopausal women would sky rocket if that were the case.

anthrokid
25-02-14, 22:18
Some of the comments here gave me a good chuckle at work this morning :)

On a serious note - if sanitary towels did contribute to cancer (which they don't), every second woman would have it! It's just one of those silly things where someone makes up or misinterprets a story and BAM it's like spam for anxiety sufferers.

KLP
25-02-14, 22:24
It made me chuckle as well. Good to have a giggle. Free therapy!!!

Lilharry
25-02-14, 22:28
I think it's good to be aware of the chemicals they use in making these things and choose safer options if it makes you feel better. It's not that using pads is going to give you cancer, but long term exposure to nasty chemicals can be harmful and if you think about how many chemicals we are exposed to on a daily basis it's best to minimise as much as possible. Unfortunately, as with most things we use these days, most governments don't require the manufacturer to prove something is safe, rather it has to be proven that something is unsafe before it will be taken off the market. It's a good idea to check lables and anything you're unsure of stay away from. Just my take on it after becoming ill myself and researching a lot of this stuff. I try to live as cleanly as possible now.

GlassPinata
26-02-14, 03:13
I've heard similar things about tampons, but really... all women use SOMETHING, and a very small percentage, I'm sure, use organic pads or tampons or menstrual cups.
Most of us probably use the bestselling brands: Always pads, or Tampax tampons.
And not many of us develop cancer, so I really doubt they cause cancer.