PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin for head symptoms

Dexterjames
25-02-14, 13:30
I have been prescribed this because of my neurological symptoms caused by extreme health G.A.D anxiety.
I have been sent to a neurologist for my own satisfaction

But my doctor says this is widely used for G.A.D now and has helped a lot of suffers of anxiety with head symptoms and other horrible anxiety symptoms?

Emphyrio
25-02-14, 15:55
Hello,

Its true - pregabalin can help with visual snow and seems to be suitable for anxiety as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2269721/Chloe-Brookes-The-woman-sees-snowflakes-sunny.html

I've been having a bad time with my meds (switched to venlafaxine lately and tried quetiapine but getting nasty side effects) so I'm going to ask for this from my GP the next time I see him.

How long did it take for you to get an appointment with a neurologist? Did you have to ask a few GPs?

Dexterjames
25-02-14, 16:52
Hello,

Its true - pregabalin can help with visual snow and seems to be suitable for anxiety as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2269721/Chloe-Brookes-The-woman-sees-snowflakes-sunny.html

I've been having a bad time with my meds (switched to venlafaxine lately and tried quetiapine but getting nasty side effects) so I'm going to ask for this from my GP the next time I see him.

How long did it take for you to get an appointment with a neurologist? Did you have to ask a few GPs?

Tell them my friend don't take NO for a answer that's basically what i did
was tired of these anxiety symptoms so GP said well i will give you pregabalin try this and i will do as you wish send you to a neurologist if this keep your mind at rest.
Have you not got a GP in your surgery that specials with mental health?
I only see 1 GP each week now.
Not started the pregabalin yet so don't no if they will help me i will let you no.

SarahH
25-02-14, 18:08
Yes Pregabalin is prescribed for anxiety and has been approved since 2007....it is very commonly prescribed now.

Dexterjames
25-02-14, 20:52
Yes Pregabalin is prescribed for anxiety and has been approved since 2007....it is very commonly prescribed now.

I have only been prescribed 100mg a day i noticed your on quite a high dose or is that normal.

SarahH
25-02-14, 21:58
The dose will be different for everyone. Starting doses are normally 75mgs a day. Then you increase the dose until your anxiety is gone. Some people take 600mgs a day. However, some people only need 100. Carry on with your dose. If your anxiety is still present go up to 200mgs...and so on. Each time you raise the dose you will probably get side effects again for a few days until your body gets used to the increase.

Sarah

hanshan
26-02-14, 08:58
I take 600 mg per day for anxiety, but have always needed the maximum dose of anything I've taken.

After many years of anxiety-related conditions, pregabalin has been the best thing for anxiety, by far.

Dexterjames
28-02-14, 09:56
100mg a day no changes after 3 days no side effects so far might see doc upgrade the dose.

Dexterjames
02-03-14, 11:46
My dose is at 150mg now is there pills that are 200mg each because that's a lot of pills if i was to take say 400mg a day that's 8 pills :ohmy:
Don't feel any different seeing doctor tomorrow.

loreen
02-03-14, 14:03
Hi,

The maximum tablet is 300mg. There is also a 200mg and 225mg as well as lots of smaller doses.

Most people find it better to take pregabalin at least twice a day,as its effect soon wears off. I take 100mg three times a day as that is what works well for me. It really is trial and error regarding strength and frequency of pregabalin.
I would give it a fair trial with different doses, as it really does seem to work well for lots of anxiety sufferers.
Good luck ! x

Dexterjames
02-03-14, 17:43
Its not working at the moment i have upped the dose to 150mg its making me dizzy is this a normal effect before it starts to work?

I will speak to my Doctor Monday but do you get dizzy before they work?

loreen
02-03-14, 17:54
I think dizziness is a common side effect when you first take pregabalin. I didn't suffer from it,but I remember feeling very tired at first.

My only problem was when I upped my dose too much,and it affected my eyes. As soon as I reduced it back down, my sight was fine. xx

SarahH
02-03-14, 17:57
Take the pills on a full stomach as that helps to reduce the dizziness.

Dexterjames
02-03-14, 19:52
I think dizziness is a common side effect when you first take pregabalin. I didn't suffer from it,but I remember feeling very tired at first.

My only problem was when I upped my dose too much,and it affected my eyes. As soon as I reduced it back down, my sight was fine. xx

What they do to your eyes

loreen
02-03-14, 21:50
I wear contact lenses,and am very short sighted.
My vision was worse and my lenses felt they didn't fit properly. However there was no lasting damage,and my vision returned to normal with the lower dose.

Emphyrio
03-03-14, 00:45
A lot of these kind of meds affect vision. I seem to quite susceptible to visual changes which is annoying. I was on a low dose of citalopram which got rid of my anxiety, but caused some visual problems - blurred vision and visual snow - the latter of which I still have, even though I've been off it for 5 months now. Pregabalin may be my next step as I've tried a range of SSRIs which either made me restless or which gave me horrible side effects.

Dexterjames
03-03-14, 12:52
A lot of these kind of meds affect vision. I seem to quite susceptible to visual changes which is annoying. I was on a low dose of citalopram which got rid of my anxiety, but caused some visual problems - blurred vision and visual snow - the latter of which I still have, even though I've been off it for 5 months now. Pregabalin may be my next step as I've tried a range of SSRIs which either made me restless or which gave me horrible side effects.

I am the same meds do not agree with me side effects shortly follow since starting meds a month after my issues i got VS and my tinnitus went wild still there, i don't no what to think? so far on this med 150mg no effects at all nothing happening speaking to doc might up the dose or just give up on meds completely and wait to see my psychiatrist.
Had my VS since late October Bad things happened when i took Amitriptyline :(

SarahH
03-03-14, 13:01
Dexter,

I would say talk to Dr about upping the dose before you give up on it all together. I needed 400mgs a day and others on NMP need 600mgs a day! You are still on a relatively small dose:shrug:

Dexterjames
03-03-14, 13:09
Dexter,

I would say talk to Dr about upping the dose before you give up on it all together. I needed 400mgs a day and others on NMP need 600mgs a day! You are still on a relatively small dose:shrug:

Yes i will do but 400mg sounds scary :wacko:

Emphyrio
04-03-14, 21:20
How are you finding it so far? Any change?

hanshan
05-03-14, 10:08
Hi Dexter,

One paracetamol tablet is 500 mg, and people happily take eight tablets (4,000 mg) per day.

Dexterjames
07-03-14, 10:45
Gonna give them another go try to get dose up to 300mg a day,I no what you mean by paracetamol but they are mainly caffeine based.

hanshan
07-03-14, 12:40
A paracetamol (Panadol) tablet has 500 mg paracetamol and no caffeine or any other active ingredient.

Dexterjames
12-03-14, 18:30
How are you finding it so far? Any change?
I seem to be chilled out more no real changes in vision yet.

SarahH
12-03-14, 18:42
Great news Dexter:)

Dexterjames
13-03-14, 10:04
Great news Dexter:)
It must be doing something Sarah i went out on my bike Sunday not done that for 6 months i had a spell through the day where i felt real again still have this horrible tight numb scalp ringing ears and vision issues had it for 3 months but my doctor said it will take time to go these symptoms don't go over night.The drugs not a cure for the symptoms but when the anxiety goes the symptoms will follow in time.

hanshan
13-03-14, 14:43
Hoping it continues to work for you.

Emphyrio
19-03-14, 23:57
Any updates?

Dexterjames
20-03-14, 22:20
Any updates?

Eyes dont seem so bad i dont no if its because my anxiety level has dropped not sure but they dont seem as bad Emphyrio :)