PDA

View Full Version : Advice on vision and other symptoms

JoeyboyRyan
25-02-14, 18:10
This is my first post in the symptoms section and I am hoping someone may have had similar issues related to anxiety and not another illness such as MS.

I have been having intermittent double vision for 8 weeks now. To describe it, if I look at anything for more than a few seconds if the object is close to me (within a couple of feet) I get Binocular Double vision unless I adjust my vision (thus battling what my eyes actually want to do).

With things further away I sometimes get double vision but mostly when I do stare at something I find my peripheral vision will grey/white out. I also get headaches from the double vision and my vision is blurry. This is a constant thing from morning to night time.

Along with this I have been getting weird head pains and headaches, aches and pains, pins and needles, difficult speaking and slurring words, an inability to think straight and poor memory.

I have seen countless GP's, out of office medical professionals, had an A and E visit and been to get my eye tested. All said that I was ok and it was probably anxiety or the fallout from having a UTI over Christmas (when all this started).

From being persistent (much like my symptoms) I was able to get a referral to see a doc at the hospital in general medicine who after 40 minutes of talking, testing my reflexes and other tests has referred me for an MRI just to rule out MS. He did say however that if he suspected MS he would have admitted me there and then as an inpatient to have an MRI done as soon as possible.

My partner who went with me for this appointment who is a physio said that he was referring me more to cover all the bases as I had mentioned my double vision and the healthy eye exam outcome.

I am at this moment in time off work and waiting for my MRI appointment. If it wasn't for the the 24/7 vision problems I would have excepted that it is my Health Anxiety and I am a long time sufferer of anxiety. But I have never had persistent symptoms and not ones of the cognitive and visual variety.

A I falling into the anxiety trap?

Any feedback, kick up the arse or information would be much appreciated.

Joe

Lucy11
25-02-14, 21:13
I would listen to your very sensible and medically trained partner. It does sound as if they are simply ruling things out to put your mind at rest. You've had eye tests too and from what I gather an eye test can show up things such as MS years before you have it and your tests have been fine. All sounds reassuring from drs too. It could be eye strain, new glasses needed or simply
spending too much time on an I phone or tablet!

Dexterjames
25-02-14, 21:26
Well i can say my vision symptoms have been blurred double now i get visual snow and that's the worst and they have lasted months like 5 months, still doctor wont send me MRI i got a shed loads of symptoms its been a pain just to see a neurologist and i can tell you there's at least 5 people i have spoke to on forums have vision issues not even 1 doctor has bothered sending them for MRI either
Strange OR is it just NHS i don't no.

I just have to except its anxiety.

I am not being funny in the slightest like you i am bl**dy frustrated

Diagnosed with a severe Anxiety disorder

Its all ways best to have reassurance thou.

But when it comes to it look how many people on here think they have MS for instants or have suspected it at 1 time to many to count.

Hope your vision gets better for you :)

KLP
25-02-14, 21:46
Hi joeyboy,

Like dexter, I too have vision disturbances, 24/7, a little different from what your describing. Mine is unfocused, drunk like vision. I've had MRI thorough eye test and all fine. I believe it's the result of nerves endings effecting the eye muscle . I say this as I have slight tremors all these symptoms are persistent.

Oh I went private for MRI £250 money well spent

Lilharry
25-02-14, 23:44
Did you take anti-biotics for the UTI? Anti-biotics are great at killing off bacteria but they don't discriminate and can kill off all the good bacteria too leaving your gut open to infection by bad bacteria. Your symptoms sound a lot like mine. I have discovered my gut has been overgrown with bad bacteria and candida which causes a lot of these kinds of symptoms. I have changed my diet and am taking probiotics which have helped a lot. I was also told that I was perfectly healthy by doctors. I eventually saw a doctor who referred me on to a Naturopath who has been great at helping me with all my symptoms. It's hard work, but totally worth it.

JoeyboyRyan
26-02-14, 00:55
Thank you so much for the responses and sorry I am only just replying. I was taking anti biotics for my UTI and I had to take ten days worth. With regards getting an MRI I have had to be very persistent but in a non pushy way as I would never exaggerate my symptoms but it has took time.

I think for me over the last 8 weeks it has been hard constantly keeping positive. Like now as I write this I am getting pins and needles in my legs and the feeling of water droplets yet I am say dry on my settee! It's as if something is constantly knocking my sense of positive thinking by reminding me " hey Joe I'm still hear".

Whatever the MRI says I will accept; truth be told I have had stress on anxiety,at times in very unhealthy levels for at least 12 years and I am only just turned 30. That level of constant ups and downs should have made my brain want to bolt for the gate and escape.

Joe

Dexterjames
27-02-14, 10:11
Yes it does take time its awful just like these horrible symptoms we have Hope it goes well :)

KLP
27-02-14, 11:57
Joey I get the water droplet thing too, I've had MRI and all was fine

JoeyboyRyan
28-02-14, 16:09
Thanks guys for the feedback. I have just had to go back to the docs as they needed to check my blood levels due to a folate deficiency. Interesting when I went to the hospital a few weeks back which led to my MRI referral the doctor I saw wanted to check my vitamin D levels with a blood test.

I had trouble getting any info back from the hospital and in many cases you only get informed if there is anything to worry about. However, while seeing my doc today I was informed that he had my blood test results from the hospital. My vitamin D levels were lets just say low -

70 or above is good
50 is ok
25 or less is low
Me - 3.43

Which is making me wonder if many of my symptoms and issues could be due to this pretty darn low level of the sunshine vitamin?

Joe

Dexterjames
28-02-14, 16:32
Yes i have worried about this but my doctor has not took that blood test i will ask her,Did you get any supplements?

I never get out much at all :(

JoeyboyRyan
28-02-14, 16:49
Yup some prescription strength vitamin D tablets to take once a day for a month, then move onto a lower dose. I really hope (in a strange way) that it has been anxiety and vitamin deficiencies all along as it gives me something to work on and get things back on track.

I still need to get my MRI out of the way and see what I get from that.

DexterJames it annoys me on your behalf that your GPs are not supporting you with your symptoms. I spoke to my GP about being tested for Lymes disease just to make sure I am ticking all the boxes and I offered to pay privately as long as he could refer me to a suitable blood testing facility for this condition. Based on my seriousness he just told me to pop down stairs as he had arranged for me to be tested that day.

If you are not happy with the support would it be worth considering another GP practice?

Joe

Dexterjames
28-02-14, 17:41
Shes a good GP and i have been diagnosed with a variety of conditions by her, Health anxiety/ somatization disorder /depression and others I have had many blood test even test you have not had done i just cant remember having a vitamin test and i did ask for a limes But shes getting to the point now where shes telling me i have to accept her diagnosis ,She said if i had a full body MRI i would still not be happy its part of health anxiety and my other issues ,i am finding it hard to believe that part of the mental state i am in but like many don't except it,I ask for a second opinion she said fine but basing on what your telling me the second option will send you to a neurologist so she said i will do it i said fine that's the only way i can get a MRI .
I see her every week she specialize in mental health i can phone her when i want if i get bad as well.I still find it hard and still think i have a disease :(

JoeyboyRyan
28-02-14, 18:00
I'm really sorry to hear that DexterJames, and it does sound like your have a good and very attentive GP which is great to hear.

If you need anyone to talk to about your symptoms don't hesitate to contact me and on hear. I too seem not to be able to believe my symptoms are causes by anxiety and stress (plus depression) even though I want to believe I am somatising these symptoms. Man, it's so bloody difficulty and such a vicious cycle all the time.

Joe

Dexterjames
28-02-14, 19:06
Very frustrating to live with day in day out you just want to be normal i am sure we will get there :)

Let me no how you get on with the MRI :)

JoeyboyRyan
07-03-14, 17:03
Hey,

Just a quick update; I have my MRI scan tomorrow which I am looking forward to in the sense that it will hopefully help my get some answers to the many questions I have regarding my current health situation.

I have decided that whatever answers I get will be dealt with; Normal scan and I will then get on with my life knowing I need to seriously address my Mental Health Problems and also my lifestyle (Everyone mostly think they eat well and healthy but if I am honest I have not looked after my body enough, hence the depleted folic acid and vitamin D levels!).

Should any abnormalities appear in the scan (and I am aware thatI will not know all until a report is sent to the Doc) then I still need to deal with my anxiety and mental health issues as a separate thing.

I will update more tomorrow, as this is helpful to me in terms of getting through what has been a challenging and difficult last few months, but also as I have many past years of coping and hiding from anxiety and the many intricate mental health issues I may have.

Thinking back I realise that at times I have been stressed to the point of thinking the absolute worst that then did not happen. I have shouted to the point of hurting my lungs and head and imagined thoughts that were neither healthy nor realistic. I have been obsessively compulsive about things that were silly and have been paranoid to the point of it being both pathetic and unhealthy.

If you have read this I hope it either makes you realise you are not alone or that I talk rubbish (sorry I cannot give you the time back you wasted reading this if you are the latter ;) )

Joe