PDA

View Full Version : Waking up not knowing where I am

tasia
25-02-14, 19:43
:weep:..This is the second time in two weeks Ive had to come back on here after feeling so well for so long....

After the carry on last week with feeling anxious and breathless I thought I was getting over it at last and than last night I wake up and for a few seconds I didnt know where I was..who that man was next to me in the bed..(it was my husband) and thinking im going to go downstairs to see my mum (my mum has been dead for nearly ten years....I just couldnt think straight atall..I than realised i cant go to my mum she is not here she is dead...it was so awful...

I used to suffer years ago with depersonalisation and is this some form of it can somebody please tell me....it really scared me I couldnt get my brain into gear and felt totally disorientated and confused it didnt last too long thankgod, but long enough to make me hardly sleep for the rest of the night and feel absolutely washed out today..

Im terrified of going to sleep incase it happens again.

Cant understand what is going on with me again these last weeks..

Thankyou for any help xx

harasgenster
25-02-14, 19:47
Disorientation from lack of sleep? Dissociation can do this as well. I took my ex boyfriend home to meet my parents once and couldnt' remember which one my parents' house was! Another time I was genuinely surprised to hear my mam was studying maths. She had been for a couple of years and I knew all about it. The memory came back after a few minutes. Another time I got to the top of my brother's stairs and suddenly didn't know where I was so turned to him and said 'why have you brought me here?' thinking I'd somehow been led to a place that I'd never been before. Gave him a bit of a fright too!

It's creepy, and it always gives me a shock, but you'll be alright.

Oh...also, oversleeping can cause mental confusion like this...that's what it was with me it turned out. My pills were making me really drowsy and I kept falling asleep, so I started to get confused.

tasia
25-02-14, 19:59
Disorientation from lack of sleep? Dissociation can do this as well. I took my ex boyfriend home to meet my parents once and couldnt' remember which one my parents' house was! Another time I was genuinely surprised to hear my mam was studying maths. She had been for a couple of years and I knew all about it. The memory came back after a few minutes. Another time I got to the top of my brother's stairs and suddenly didn't know where I was so turned to him and said 'why have you brought me here?' thinking I'd somehow been led to a place that I'd never been before. Gave him a bit of a fright too!

It's creepy, and it always gives me a shock, but you'll be alright.

Oh...also, oversleeping can cause mental confusion like this...that's what it was with me it turned out. My pills were making me really drowsy and I kept falling asleep, so I started to get confused.

Hi there,

Thankyou for the reply....wow you certainly have been through it bless you.

I kind of had things like that happen to me before, once when I was in town with my sister in law I suddenly couldnt recognise where I was it all looked alien to me like I had never been there before, yet I grew up in this town...this was years ago too I was only about 14 but have never forgotten it...

Depersonalisation for me is one of the most scariest things that Ive ever had to experience...I hope it was a one off...maybe stress has caused it to come back ive no idea...I think the more you think about it the worse your anxiety gets..thats how it is for me anyway..if only I could listen to my own advice but I cant and always need comfort from others Im not loosing the plot...

You have made me feel a bit better :) so thankyou and hope alls good with you xx

harasgenster
25-02-14, 20:01
Hi there,

Thankyou for the reply....wow you certainly have been through it bless you.

I kind of had things like that happen to me before, once when I was in town with my sister in law I suddenly couldnt recognise where I was it all looked alien to me like I had never been there before, yet I grew up in this town...this was years ago too I was only about 14 but have never forgotten it...

Depersonalisation for me is one of the most scariest things that Ive ever had to experience...I hope it was a one off...maybe stress has caused it to come back ive no idea...I think the more you think about it the worse your anxiety gets..thats how it is for me anyway..if only I could listen to my own advice but I cant and always need comfort from others Im not loosing the plot...

You have made me feel a bit better :) so thankyou and hope alls good with you xx

No problem, I'm much better now. I'd describe myself as cured, in fact. I never feel ill anymore, but I have the odd stress that's a bit over-egged!

The best thing you can do is not panic about it - even if it happens again. If it does happen again, you know what it is, you know it can't harm you, and you know you can cope with it :)

Abi-Skinner
25-02-14, 20:25
Hi,

I suffer from G.A.D. and am currently going through a bit of a relapse. A few times in the last couple of weeks (and other times when my anxiety has been bad) I have woken up really disoriented and wondering where I am. I used to find myself waking up and going into instant panic because of it, but I have now come to "recognose" the feeling so when I wake up feeling like that, I try to "check in", so I have a look around, tell myself where I am, check everything is there, I.e. there's my TV, my wardrobe all the familiar things, which kinda helps bring me back to reality.

I'm also very familiar with the feeling of depersonalisation, for me it's possibly the worst of all the feelings that comes with anxiety. I remember a couple of years ago driving at night with my husband, I turned from staring out the window to look at him and felt like I didn't know who he was, really scared me too.

Hopefully you get a good nights rest soon.

tasia
25-02-14, 21:07
No problem, I'm much better now. I'd describe myself as cured, in fact. I never feel ill anymore, but I have the odd stress that's a bit over-egged!

The best thing you can do is not panic about it - even if it happens again. If it does happen again, you know what it is, you know it can't harm you, and you know you can cope with it :)

Thankyou again so much x

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Hi,

I suffer from G.A.D. and am currently going through a bit of a relapse. A few times in the last couple of weeks (and other times when my anxiety has been bad) I have woken up really disoriented and wondering where I am. I used to find myself waking up and going into instant panic because of it, but I have now come to "recognose" the feeling so when I wake up feeling like that, I try to "check in", so I have a look around, tell myself where I am, check everything is there, I.e. there's my TV, my wardrobe all the familiar things, which kinda helps bring me back to reality.

I'm also very familiar with the feeling of depersonalisation, for me it's possibly the worst of all the feelings that comes with anxiety. I remember a couple of years ago driving at night with my husband, I turned from staring out the window to look at him and felt like I didn't know who he was, really scared me too.

Hopefully you get a good nights rest soon.

Hi there,

Ill try to *Check in* too, if it happens again tonight and keep both of your replys in my head so hopefully if it does happen I wont spend the rest of the night worrying and feeling physically sick like I did last night..

Im wondering why I was thinking about my mum when it happened and maybe it was because when I used to get depersonalisation years ago my mum was always the one that used to sit with me and try to help pull me through it...I dont know, but maybe thats why I thought about going downstairs to her....very strange how our brains work at times hey.

Hope you are feeling better soon too and thankyou so much for your reply x