PDA

View Full Version : When you feel one looming but it doesn't materialize.

Salome
25-02-14, 20:39
Does anyone else get that? How normal is it? I get the head rush, the palpitations, the vertigo etc. and I brace myself for a panic attack but it doesn't arrive. I know this may seem weird but I wish it would just come so I can get it over with but it hangs over my head like an ominous dark cloud, I know it will happen eventually but it seems to be taunting me, weakening me first so when it eventually strikes it will have more impact... God I hate all this.

Phuzella
25-02-14, 20:57
When your feel it looming, just try to get on with your day. Let it come if it wants to, or thank the adrenaline for its help but you don't need it right now. I do this and it seems to work more often than not :)

greggs92
25-02-14, 22:14
Does anyone else get that? How normal is it? I get the head rush, the palpitations, the vertigo etc. and I brace myself for a panic attack but it doesn't arrive. I know this may seem weird but I wish it would just come so I can get it over with but it hangs over my head like an ominous dark cloud, I know it will happen eventually but it seems to be taunting me, weakening me first so when it eventually strikes it will have more impact... God I hate all this.

The way i got over mine was to make it as bad as it could possibly be, and understand how it hasn't hurt me in the past or if it happens again. When you do that, the truth about the panic comes out

Ruizu
25-02-14, 23:00

I usually get this before having an actual panic attack.

I'd probably get it sometime in the morning and then think to myself "Crap i'm gonna have a panic attack at some point today!"
and it does happen XD

Charlie38
26-02-14, 07:14
I usually get this before having an actual panic attack.

I'd probably get it sometime in the morning and then think to myself "Crap i'm gonna have a panic attack at some point today!"
and it does happen XD

This is what I am like, the anticipation of having one is horrible and is usually what stops me getting out the door, or it takes hours to get out.

I was told years ago "Tell the panic attack to come, say, come on then, make me panic!" The adrenaline then realises apparently that with no fear to 'grab' hold of it simply can't happen. I tried it whenever I remembered and it did actually work. Reverse psychology - it really does help. I just find that it's difficult to do when panicking about panicking! But, if no one has tried this, give it a go and see if it makes any difference.