PDA

View Full Version : Got a urinary infection - on trimethoprim.

GirlAfraid23
26-02-14, 10:15
It's just one thing after another recently...ended up down at a&e last night as I had severe pain when urinating and blood in my urine.
I was prescribed the antibiotic trimethoprim.
I've never taken this antibiotic before...so a bit worried it will affect me. I stupidly looked up "side effects" and it seems an upset stomach is high on the list. I have a bit of a phobia of vomiting and diarrhoea so worried this will happen to me. Or worse....anyone been on them before?

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 ----------

Oh and "meningitis" is on the list too :(

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

Also I've taken today off work...I only recently had a chest infection and had to be off...I am worried this is going to look bad on my records.

RoseEve
26-02-14, 10:38
I've been on that before I had no side effects. If you are I'll then you have to take time off work your employer should understand. Feel better :)

GirlAfraid23
26-02-14, 11:29
I've been on that before I had no side effects. If you are I'll then you have to take time off work your employer should understand. Feel better :)

Thanks...I know that's all rational but I can never really put it into perspective. I'm worried if I go back tomorrow they will be asking loads of questions.

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

I keep getting a slightly itchy chest and panicking I am allergic.

---------- Post added at 11:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Is it normal to get chills when you have a urinary infection?

klg1975
26-02-14, 11:57
Hi, I had no side effects either on this and they worked well. I had chills with a uti and felt absolutely awful. Don't worry the tablets kick in pretty fast. Yhe itchiness on your chest I guarantee is anxiety. I used to get this along with a burning feeling on top of my chest :)

GirlAfraid23
26-02-14, 15:11
Hi, I had no side effects either on this and they worked well. I had chills with a uti and felt absolutely awful. Don't worry the tablets kick in pretty fast. Yhe itchiness on your chest I guarantee is anxiety. I used to get this along with a burning feeling on top of my chest :)

Thanks :) I don't know why it says about meningitis...I hope work doesn't think I'm skiving.

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Feeling a bit odd now...off balance, headache, dizzy when I look down, face feels a bit flushed...
I went to the loo just now and there way a tiny bit more blood on the paper. It really does hurt to go :(

Does anyone think the antibiotics are having an adverse effect on me? I'm so worried about meningitis.

gypcyg
26-02-14, 17:37
Ask your doctor if Cranberry juice will help your infection - It helps the person I know who has it.

Leslie735
27-02-14, 14:27
I'm going through something similar. I had a urinary infection back in December. I've had them in the past so I'm aware what they feel like, this one was different though. It was more mild, no burning or pain just the sensation of having to go often. I went to see my Dr. about 4 days after it began. She tested my urine and said I did not have an infection but gave me antibiotics just in case. She did not send my sample off to the lap just had an in office test which has high rate for false negatives. So after a few days I started to feel better but my anxiety was through the roof as I had read horrible stories online about people in my situation and it ended up being Interstitial cystitis. I was so scared, I mean, terrified! I've been dealing with symptoms on and off ever since. I have weeks where I'm really good, feel great and don't worry. Then I have days where I do. I defiantly noticed if my anxiety is up so are my symptoms but I also noticed my symptoms will pop up out of nowhere too. Like last night, I was feeling really great all through the weekend, Monday, Tuesday, and all day Wednesday felt great, then last night as I was going to bed I kept feeling like I had to go when I really didn't. It was uncomfortable. When I woke up it was gone. So I don't know if it's real or not. Needless to say I'm going to see a Urogynecologist tomorrow morning. I want their opinion on this. I did go see my OB/GYN back late December and then she sent me for an ultrasound in January all that came back normal thank goodness. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. :hugs: