PDA

View Full Version : Omneprazole

Worriedwellornot
26-02-14, 18:28
Hi I wonder if anyone can give advice on this please. For the last 3 months have been on lansaprazole but gave me loose bowels. My Dr changed the prescription last week to omneprazole 20 mg but the last few days felt very nauseous with horrible taste in mouth, although bowels are better. I thought the 2 meds had similar ingredients so can't see why I'm having the nausea etc

Thanks

Dexterjames
26-02-14, 18:57
My doctor gave me these been on them for a while when i was not anxous they where fine now i am suffering terible anxiety i feel nauseous but if i don't take them i get terrible acid its a vicious circle as anxiety causes more acid as well.

Worriedwellornot
26-02-14, 19:09
Hi Dex thanks for your reply. I know what you mean about the anxiety. I've been waiting for an endoscopy to find out what's wrong. I think I preferred the indigestion to this awful nausea and butter taste. I might reduce my dose tomorrow to see if that helps

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

-bitter- not butter !

HoneyLove
26-02-14, 19:17
When you stop taking these types of medication, or reduce your dosage, it causes what's called rebound acid where your stomach will produce a little too much acid while it gets used to not having the drugs in your system.

This is why you experince symptoms when coming off them, or switching types. It will fade away after a week or so, but in the meantime take extra care with your diet and use antacids to manage the problem. (Don't the antacids at the same time as the omeprazole as it will prevent you from absorbing the omprazole properly).

It can be better to wean yourself off these drugs, rather than suddenly stop them.

Worriedwellornot
26-02-14, 19:20
Thanks Honey. Do you think it's a good idea to take half dose tomorrow? X

HoneyLove
26-02-14, 19:24
To be honest, I can't really recommend you what dosages to take. I'd say go with what your doctor has prescribed, you'll probably get used to the change in drug quicker that way. Omeprazole can take a while I start working, usually about two weeks, so you're better off following your doctors directions for the best result.

Worriedwellornot
26-02-14, 19:34
Thanks Honey x

mummyanxious
26-02-14, 19:50
I've taken both in past but had to switch from Lan to om as the lan gave me side effects. They may be similar medicines but they're not the same if that makes sense.

Worriedwellornot
26-02-14, 20:33
Thanks mummy. Now got a rash all over tummy and legs.
Could this be allergic reaction?