PDA

View Full Version : xanax

phonoodle
27-02-14, 04:37
hey my friend told me to try and get xanax. researching it seems like its very addicting and i dont want to be addicted to anything anymore. Does it help? My friend gave my other friend 2mg pill and he was not acting the same after 30 mins. is it worth a try to get this crappy feeling away?

phonoodle
27-02-14, 05:38
yes it will be helpfull

but i am an alcoholic. i guess i can try tomorrow and try not to drink?

anthrokid
27-02-14, 06:25
Phonoodle, as someone training in a mental health profession I would advice STRONGLY against taking Xanax if you are an alcoholic. Alcohol increases the effects of Xanax and can cause undesirable side effects that may be more harm than good for your anxiety. It is a medication that you should NOT take unless it has been prescribed to you by a doctor. Your friend should not be handing out Xanax pills.

What I will suggest is checking in with your doctor and asking whether they think there is something that may be helpful for you :) Often there are other remedies that can be just as effective as medication. There are also certain medications that can be prescribed to alcoholics to avoid harmful drug interactions.

Again, I cannot reiterate, do not take Xanax with alcohol in your system, and do not take it without speaking to your doctor first.

Fishmanpa
27-02-14, 13:10
Anti-anxiety/depression meds and alcohol do not mix and combining them can be very detrimental. Please seek the help and advice of a medical and/or mental health professional concerning your anxiety and the alcohol issues you're dealing with. This is not something to self treat.

Positive thoughts

phonoodle
28-02-14, 06:49
yeah its horrible. If i drink the anxiety goes away. if i don't I will very bad anxiety like right now. Im losing my life over this i need help!!! can't see doctor with no health insurance. Depression is making me not able/wanting to do things and i shake so much i dont wana pick up anything. My anxiety is REALLY BAD. Save me please!!!

TooMuchToLiveFor
28-02-14, 12:38
Hey Pho-

Have asked this several times, but haven't gotten a reply……have you at least downloaded the free CBT course here yet?

AND- AA is free!!!! You are not going to be able to conquer the anxiety or depression while you are an actively drinking alcoholic. I believe you mentioned going snowboarding in another thread? If so, …..then you are perfectly capable of leaving your house and getting to an AA meeting. Also, your high anxiety levels and shakes could definitely be attributed to alcohol detox as well.

What do you need to do in order to get health insurance? Could you call a doctor's office and see what their standard practice is in helping someone without insurance? You could always set up a payment plan to pay out of pocket…...

No one can save you but you! However, we are here to support you all along the way.

---------- Post added at 06:38 ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 ----------

Oh, and Xanax is a BAAAAAAAD idea for an alcoholic. It is highly addictive, and as it affects the brain in the same way as alcohol you could easily be trading one drug for another. And, please, please don't make the unwise decision of taking meds that are not prescribed for you. Not a good direction to be going in at all, my friend.

Fishmanpa
28-02-14, 13:04
Hey Pho-

Have asked this several times, but haven't gotten a reply……have you at least downloaded the free CBT course here yet?

AND- AA is free!!!! You are not going to be able to conquer the anxiety or depression while you are an actively drinking alcoholic. I believe you mentioned going snowboarding in another thread? If so, …..then you are perfectly capable of leaving your house and getting to an AA meeting. Also, your high anxiety levels and shakes could definitely be attributed to alcohol detox as well.

What do you need to do in order to get health insurance? Could you call a doctor's office and see what their standard practice is in helping someone without insurance? You could always set up a payment plan to pay out of pocket…...

No one can save you but you! However, we are here to support you all along the way.

---------- Post added at 06:38 ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 ----------

Oh, and Xanax is a BAAAAAAAD idea for an alcoholic. It is highly addictive, and as it affects the brain in the same way as alcohol you could easily be trading one drug for another. And, please, please don't make the unwise decision of taking meds that are not prescribed for you. Not a good direction to be going in at all, my friend.

Great post TooMuch!

Pho, you asked people in an internet forum to "save you".... We cannot reach through the screen and drag you to an AA meeting or make you pick up the phone to call social services. There are options available to you. These are just words on a screen. It's up to you to take action. Many here have given you very sage and sound advice. When are we going to see a post that you've followed it?

Good luck and positive thoughts