PDA

View Full Version : snowboarding

phonoodle
27-02-14, 08:04
hey guys im going snowboarding for the first time to give my ex girlfriend her space and im very scared of heights. Am i going to be ok???

Phuzella
27-02-14, 11:34
I'm sure you are. Sounds likea lot of fun, enjoy:D

phonoodle
27-02-14, 11:41
I'm sure you are. Sounds likea lot of fun, enjoy:D

thank but i have no alcohol so im scared of panicing... it is my serious problem and i need to fix it. but im dealing with a breakup and anxiety at the same time. didn't ever think i could ever feel so crazy:weep:

Phuzella
27-02-14, 13:19
I stuffed from severe agoraphobia years ago. One day when we were at the beach, I was too terrified to get out of the car. It was an enormous empty beach, really wide open space, my worst nightmare.
Before I knew what was happening, I opened the car door and ran as fast as I could onto the beach towards the sea. Scary but so brilliant. I don't know how I did it but it taught me a big lesson. Life is to short to miss out on any opportunity to be alive.
You sound like you're doing the right things, No booze and getting out in the world.
When are you going snowboarding?

Zeitgeist
27-02-14, 14:57
Where are you off to? If it is a indoor slope in the country then you need not worry, if it is abroad you need not worry, nursery slopes are very shallow. If you are planning to go right to the top of a mountain then chat lifts can be a bit frightening, I have a fear of big wheels or more specially being trapped in something mechanical at height so can get the heebie jee use a bit then.

In all seriousness the only thing I would check is if you are going to a resort where you have to catch a gondola to the piste higher up the mountain, beginners don't really use anything but button lifts and your feet stay on the ground for them. Plus nursery slopes will be shallow and not high up.

Most of your initial training will be on how to move around with a board strapped to your foot (hopping and pushing) and learning to ride basic lifts. The early stages of riding are all about learning to stop safely, you do this by placing your board along the slop and leaning backwards / forwards, expect to spend a good degree of time learning this and how to balance.

I am a skier but have done some basic boarding, it is great fun and the heights don't really come into it much, at least until you start getting really adventurous, I learnt with friends and we found shouting a good way of dealing with the more adventurous slopes.

Have fun.

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

Just noticed you are in the states, there are actually some mountains worthy of the name there (unlike the UK) so worth just checking how you get to the piste as this may present more vertigo issues than the actual boarding will.